April 2013 Moms

Tylenol Cold and Sinus??

The "safe med list" my OB gave me specifically says Tylenol Cold and Tylenol Allergy Sinus. So I have had a killer cold for the past couple of days and have been taking Tylenol Cold and Sinus. Today I went to walmart to buy more (because you always run out when you need it) and I found that the ingredients had changed a little (dextromethorphan instead of guaifenesin-both for coughing) Anyway I asked the pharmacist there if the dextromethorphan was ok for me to take, and she pulls out a list that says I'm not supposed to take phenlyephrine. So of course I get home and google it and everything I read confirms that phenlyephrine is a no-no. 

Of course I'll be calling my OB to ask tomorrow. But I was just curious if anyone had asked their OB about it? or had it on their "safe list"? as far as I know all Tylenol Cold has phenlyephrine in it. (Advil Cold and Sinus has pseudoephedrine) That's why I'm so confused how it can be on the safe list? 

Thanks!
Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
Due with #2   4/16/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Tylenol Cold and Sinus??

• I don't know anything about the ingredients, but that is on my "safe list" too -- as is sudafed (major major sinus problems over here).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • It's definitely on my nono list, because when I had a killer cold took some not knowing it was on the naughty list, the nurses in my OB's office had a fit. I was stuck with plan Tylenol for he duration of my cold which lasted like 2 weeks. :/ Def call your OB get an explanation. I'm probably nothing serious though. Hope you feel better!
    For with God, all things are possible!!

BabyName Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • www.infantrisk.org is a good resource for these questions, too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • "Tylenol Cold has phenlyephrine in it "  - I would take a look at this - this is Tylenol's new ingredient list. 

https://www.tylenol.com/page.jhtml?id=tylenol/news/subrecent_changes.inc - of course my links aren't working....

"Advil Cold and Sinus has pseudoephedrine" - this would be behind the counter at the pharmacy - it's not sold over the counter any more. 

You should be able to take plain Tylenol and grab a 'tussin product.  

Guaifenesin and Dextromethorphan are fine. Dextro is a  cough suppressant that works pretty well. Guaifenesin is an expectorant. So unless you have chest congestion I wouldn't take that.

If you're just having drainage - head to a Claritin or Zyrtec.

If you're having head pressure... try something with Sudafed.

I worked in a pharmacy for many years. You'd be surprised how many different things there are for each symptom and complaint ") 

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"