Georgia Babies

Schools: Roswell/Alpharetta(close to 400)

The big topic of decision in our house these days is schools and what to do. Just looking at private schools makes my heart skip a beat. It is so insane expensive especially when you have 3 so close in age. So we are weighing our options and looking into public school areas. We'd love to stay intown but I'm not sure that's going to be an option. If we do we'd like to move over in the highlands but we're not to sure about Grady High School. 

Not sure if Alpharetta is even do able since we don't want dh to be driving to much. Right now he's at perimeter but he's in consulting so that could change at some point. We still want to be close to the city to be able to come down here some. I've heard Milton HS is better then Roswell HS but both are good. Any thoughts? Any other clusters/areas we should look at?

BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Schools: Roswell/Alpharetta(close to 400)

• I actually think Grady is supposed to be a good school now, I wouldn't rule it out.

I have zero desire to move back to the suburbs but if I did I would move to where I grew up, East Cobb, and do Walton, which is where I went to high school. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are not counting Grady out but its more about finding a house we can afford that isn't a huge fixer upper in that area. The highlands is our first choice and I would love love love to live near Virginia Ave or over near El Taco/San Fran Coffee area.Moving OTP scares me b/c we tried it when we got married and hated it. It's just finding something in our price range over there might not happen. We've considered once we decide to sell our house actually trying to find a rental over there to feel it out. I hate thinking about all this. 
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Personally, I would focus more on Elementary/Middle School zoning before I worried too much about high school.  A whole lot can change in an area in 10+ years, not to mention just in your own personal life. 

Do you like the elementary school in your area?

Right now we are struggling with what to do for Middle School.  Emma will be in 5th grade next year and we don't have very many options.  Basically move, or go private.

• imageDaisy22:
    We are not counting Grady out but its more about finding a house we can afford that isn't a huge fixer upper in that area. The highlands is our first choice and I would love love love to live near Virginia Ave or over near El Taco/San Fran Coffee area.Moving OTP scares me b/c we tried it when we got married and hated it. It's just finding something in our price range over there might not happen. We've considered once we decide to sell our house actually trying to find a rental over there to feel it out. I hate thinking about all this. 

We ate at El Taco last night, yum. Anyway, I totally understand, we are ITP (Bhaven) and really struggled with this last year, which is why ds is in pre-k at a private school now. We just couldn't do the public school.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Grady is actually great.  I love the Morningside ES - Inman MS - Grady HS feeder.  The other good option if you want to stay ITP is being in the northwest ES cluster that is on the IB track (Brandon, Smith, E Rivers, Jackson) which feeds into Sutton MS and then the new North Atlanta HS.  That is the cluster we are in (we are Morris Brandon ES) and we love it.  You can definitely get into Brandon & E Rivers districts for under $350k still. My neighborhood actually has a few homes for sale right around $300k, which is excellent.

All the schools in Roswell are excellent. But if your husband ever had to work in downtown or be going to the airport a ton, the traffic would stink.  But housing will be more affordable, in general you can get into the part of Roswell to the east of 400 for under $300k. 

You might also want to consider Smyrna, the King Springs ES and Nickajack ES districts are both good and there is definitely housing under $300k in both. Not quite as far out as Roswell either.  

I sell houses in these areas all the time, so if you have any more specific questions, feel free to email me: anadi at remax.net

- Alix 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I would disagree that all schools in Roswell are good. I did a scoliosis screening at a middle school in Roswell and there was a fair number of kids with gang tattoos. It was crazy to see a 12 yr old with a gang tattoo.

Smyrna has some good elementary schools and they are also opening a new elementary school next year. Teasley is an awesome school and has the best reputation in Smyrna. You can find homes in a wide range of prices there.

Generally, the problem with schools here is that land and labor are cheap, so new homes are continually being built and the population shifts. Where I grew up, the school have gone downhill in the last 15 years. The neighboring school district which was once absolutely horrible is now one of the best in the state.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
  • Thanks everyone. It's such a hard decision especially when having to move is involved.  I'll have to look at the smyrna area. I didn't even think about that area. 

Alix - we actually live in the sutton/north atlanta cluster but we are bolton for elementary. We are just not sold on the fact Bolton will change enough by the time our kids get there. I think we are leaning towards going to the highlands if we move even if we have to rent for a while over there.  

• Just wanted to throw out some other options. Decatur has great schools and Drew Charter in Kirkwood/East Lake is also great. We absolutely love Oakhurst in Decatur. We had originally wanted the Highlands too but I'm so glad we changed our minds

If you are looking up in Alpharetta, the new high school not Milton may be better. Can't think of the name...my BIL is a teacher/coach there.
  • I'm on the west side of 400 in Milton/Crabapple area (it's between Roswell and Alpharetta).  We are zoned for Milton High and it's a great school.  Cambridge HS is the new school in Milton and is super nice as well.  The drive to Perimeter isn't bad. 

Not all schools are great in Roswell, so be careful.  But I would agree that you should focus more on Elementary and Middle schools as opposed to the high school, b/c that's so far away.  We were recently rezoned into a new elementary school, but it's just as good, if not better than the one we were previously zoned for.  You can't go wrong in this area IMO for public schools.  And if you want the private route, tons of private schools up here too.  Other considerations would be the Walton HS feeder schools in east Cobb.

• I live in Alpharetta and I think our schools are great.  I'm so impressed with my neighbors and their dedication to the neighborhood and schools.  I really thought moving from Buckhead would kill me but I'm so much happier.  I would never move back inside the city.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageKerrin:

I'm on the west side of 400 in Milton/Crabapple area (it's between Roswell and Alpharetta).  We are zoned for Milton High and it's a great school.  Cambridge HS is the new school in Milton and is super nice as well.  The drive to Perimeter isn't bad. 

Not all schools are great in Roswell, so be careful.  But I would agree that you should focus more on Elementary and Middle schools as opposed to the high school, b/c that's so far away.  We were recently rezoned into a new elementary school, but it's just as good, if not better than the one we were previously zoned for.  You can't go wrong in this area IMO for public schools.  And if you want the private route, tons of private schools up here too.  Other considerations would be the Walton HS feeder schools in east Cobb.

You must live near my good friend. She's in the crabapple area too. She was telling me that sweet apple elementary or roswell north elementary are good ones according to her neigbhors (she is just now pg so schools are not on her mind). She loves that area 

• We're on the west side of 400, in Milton, in the new Cambridge HS zone. It is really really nice and we have good elementary/middle options as well. There are also a several private school options nearby. Our schools in Grant Park were horrible and the GP charter school was not much better, so we were going to have to do private, which prompted our decision to move. I would have loved to be in Morningside, but we took such a giant loss on our house already and for a bigger house in the MS area, we were looking at close to $1m. DH's drive to Vinings isn't too much worse than when we were downtown....at least he's not fighting the connector every day.
  • imageDaisy22:

Thanks everyone. It's such a hard decision especially when having to move is involved.  I'll have to look at the smyrna area. I didn't even think about that area. 

Alix - we actually live in the sutton/north atlanta cluster but we are bolton for elementary. We are just not sold on the fact Bolton will change enough by the time our kids get there. I think we are leaning towards going to the highlands if we move even if we have to rent for a while over there.  

I always forget you live just around the corner from me.  We really should do a playdate!  I totally understand about Bolton, and I know families on both side of the fence about if they will send their kids or not.  If you wanted to come just across the district line, there are several nice homes in my 'hood that are under $350k.  =)

I love VaHi and Morningside, but it is astounding what real estate costs there.  I was showing property all morning in Morningside today, and basically the same house as ours is a minimum of $650k....and it actually wasn't as big or as nice of finishes.  My experience has been the same in VaHi for the most part, but there are a lot of good rentals if that is the direction you decide to go. 

I would definitely check into Smyrna.  I have put several clients in nice homes in that area for under $300k.  I actually just put one into a house walking distance to Smyrna Market Village for $170k.  The prices are still reasonable for the amount of space & convenience you get.  And I think I did forget to include Teasley in my list of the good ES there, it is the best!

Good luck, I know it is such a tough decision!

Alix 

Nothing is more discouraging than unappreciated sarcasm. 
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • I also live in the Bolton district.  Everyone in my neighborhood has fantastic things to say about the school.  One of my neighbors said that her daughters class is almost entirely made up of out neighborhood and the one next to ours.  I am expecting so I can't personally speak about it but I would encourage you to speak to some of the parents with kids there (if you already haven't done that).  Good luck with your decision!
  • We live up in Cumming (ya, don't move out here if living OTP scares you, we are surrounded by cowfields!)...but IF we ever move, it'd be to either the Milton area or East Cobb.  We love love love our house, and if we do move our house probably wouldn't be quite as nice, but eventually we may decide we'd rather be closer in, with excellent schools...but as others have stated, school situations evolve and shift, so we just keep an open mind.  That said, we are happy with the elementary school Jack attends now, and his class is almost entirely made up of kids from our neighborhood.  I have a friend that decided to put her daughter in private school out here, but I don't feel we have a ton of options out here that are really my cup of tea (teeny tiny, no sports, etc...just so different from our Shiloh experience ya know!).  Speaking of, don't ya wish our kids could go to our alma mater?!  Just kiddin' ;)
    Jack 3.5.07 / Ethan 9.17.08 / Lauren 4.3.11 image
  • imageDaisy22:
    imageKerrin:

I'm on the west side of 400 in Milton/Crabapple area (it's between Roswell and Alpharetta).  We are zoned for Milton High and it's a great school.  Cambridge HS is the new school in Milton and is super nice as well.  The drive to Perimeter isn't bad. 

You must live near my good friend. She's in the crabapple area too. She was telling me that sweet apple elementary or roswell north elementary are good ones according to her neigbhors (she is just now pg so schools are not on her mind). She loves that area 

I actually work at Roswell North and can't say enough wonderful things about the school or the area. We are a large school but you wouldn't know it. Extremely family and community oriented.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"