Baby Showers
Options

Just the ladies? Or the men too...?

My Mom is throwing my baby shower for me...and we're planning on doing a low-key (inexpensive) shower, considering we just had a big expensive wedding in August (we have a wedding night baby!).

I've been to 4 baby showers...2 of them were all women and 2 had both men and women. I like the idea of having both, because alot of my husband's friends are dads and I think he and they would like for them to be included.  But I am wondering what is typical? I know for bridal showers it's usually only women.  Is that the case for baby showers too? Or is it ok to invite both??

Thanks! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Just the ladies? Or the men too...?

• Options
    If your plan is to keep it inexpensive, keep it to just women.  Adding men will instantly double your guest list and costs.   And, honestly, just because men are dads doesn't really add to their interest in going to a baby shower.  Most would still rather stick hot pokers in their eyes. 
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

imageLiz4444:
    If your plan is to keep it inexpensive, keep it to just women.  Adding men will instantly double your guest list and costs.   And, honestly, just because men are dads doesn't really add to their interest in going to a baby shower.  Most would still rather stick hot pokers in their eyes. 

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagegamergirl522:

imageLiz4444:

I couldn't have said it better myself. 

I totally agree

• Options
    I had a co-ed shower, and everyone seemed to have fun. It was themed like the TV show "Big Brother" and we played about three games, and then a couple of rounds of wits and wagers. There was a table set up for decorating onesies with fabric markers, and all the guys seemed to gravitate toward that (All our guy friends are gamers and model painters anyway) Most of them came with their girlfriends, and looked just as surprised as we were when their gifts were open. It was more like a Big brother party with Baby presents.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I have to ditto Liz.  Double the cost, and really - most men just aren't into showers.  Dads or not.  But you know your DH's friends.  We don't.  Do YOU think they'd be into it? 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    i agree that adding men will double the guest list (cost), but i think it could be a fun idea. we had a co-ed wedding shower, but it was pretty big. the guys had a great time eating and drinking and just hanging out when things got too "frilly" (present time, etc.). it can be done, especially if the couples all know each other and can get along and entertain each other well. but if cost is truly an issue, i'd stick to just women. 
    trying for #1 since May 2012... we're adopting! bringing home baby boy in january 2015!

photo tacos.gif
    Texas forever. 
  • Options
    It's honestly up to you and what you prefer. If you plan on having an inexpensive baby shower then I say just women. Less people to entertain and we can all agree that women are much easier to entertain than men. I've been to a few showers where it was co-ed and I like it too, but it gets a little uncomfortable for the men at times. Of course not ALL men feel that way, some don't mind, but that doesn't exclude all of them. I'd say just keep it an all-female shower. Less people = less money.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image image
  • Options
    We've been invited to two co Ed showers and I drug DH to one my cousins and he flat out refused to go to the other one. In my opinion, showers are a lady thing!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My husband has been to two  co-ed showers.  One bridal and one baby.  He of course went with a smile on his face, pretended to have a good time and was polite. However, he asked that he never go to another one again.  He honestly didn't enjoy himself and asked that next time he is invited to one, that I politely say I am the only one that can attend. 

Plus, with the baby one the host asked that he bring a bag of diapers, so we as a couple brougt double gifts.  Not a huge deal, but still. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"