C-sections
Options

instructions before scheduled c-section

Question - did you receive instructions before your scheduled c-section?  

The only info I got - after taking the initiative to ask my doctor - was no eating or drinking after midnight (for a 8:00 am c-section) but that sipping a little bit of water should be okay.  And then to take a shower beforehand.  Other than that, I didn't receive any other instructions.  I asked a nurse at the hospital later about checking in, and she said to call the hospital 1-2 hours before arriving.

TIA!  

I'm having my scheduled c-section on Monday morning!  

Re: instructions before scheduled c-section

• Options
    Just no food or water after midnight. I would shave your area while you shower. I've been told that they will do a dry shave which is never pleasant :
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

The only instructions I got were pretty similar to yours. No food or drink after midnight, and they gave me a special soap to wash the area with. I was told to use it the night before and the morning of. Other than that, nothing! 

Good luck on Monday!! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Yup. I received a sheet at my last appointment exactly what I should do from not eating after midnight to where to go and what time the day of. And I was to,d what day and time frame to expect a call to make a pre-admin appt for bloodwork and all

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have to go in for a pre-sx appointment when they give me all the directions. I'm thinking there can't be much more to it then fasting though.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I got my instructions today for my scheduled c-section on Monday also!  No eating/drinking after midnight, not even water.  I can brush my teeth but do not swallow anything.  Showering is fine and wear comfortable clothes.  

Good luck!!!!  Mine is scheduled for 7:30 am so I figure we'll probably start about 8. 

We Made A Wish....

And You Came True!

• Options

Did you not have an appt with the anesthesiologist?  that's when I got all my info.  I was told by the dr's nurse what time my c/s was scheduled 7:00.  And that I needed to be there at 5:30 to start checking in and getting ready b/c surgery would start at 7:00am and then by 8:30-9:00 family would be able to start coming in and seeing us and baby.  

But, the anesthesiologist is who told me about the no eating/drinking, what to do to prep before hand and when to come in for my blood work (within 24 hours BEFORE my c/s).  You should have gotten better instructions.  I hope you can get everything you need done before baby is born!  Congrats! 

Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • Options
    My instructions were the same except I was told no lotions. And they gave me these huge wipes to wipe down my body with after the shower.
  • Options

imagelil_jen051708:
    Just no food or water after midnight. I would shave your area while you shower. I've been told that they will do a dry shave which is never pleasant :

This! I was dry shaved with DS1 and it was so uncomfortable! With DS2, I did a really good job shaving and they didn't have to touch it. 

• Options

I've had two c-sections at two different hospitals and wasn't shaved either time.  Granted they were both unscheduled (#2 was an RCS but my water broke early), but the second wasn't an emergency and they had plenty of time to shave me if they wanted to.  I don't usually shave everything and would hate to do it if I didn't know they were going to do it if I didn't.

I think the only instructions I was given was fasting after midnight.  (I went into labor right after Thanksgiving dinner with #2, so that totally did not happen and everything was fine, but obviously if I'd made it to my scheduled RCS I would have fasted beforehand.)

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options

I work at a large hospital in the midwest. We typically call everyone the day before their cesarean section to let them know details. Typically we have everyone arrive 2hours before your schedule c-section. As someone above mentioned you can shave but you don't need to do the whole shebang. If you just shave around your abdomen and just below that you will be fine. The incision is typicaly right where the top of your underwear are, or right where your belly slightly folds. We also advise you leave all your jewelery at home or at least take it all out and put it in a save place when you do arrive. No food after midnight, you can brush your teeth in the morning though. I always tell them what we will be doing-starting an IV, drawing labs from the IV, asking about allergies and that you will receive antibiotics before you go back for your c-section. If you are able you will receive a spinal to help numb you up, if this doesn't work you will be put to sleep. If you are put to sleep your partner is not allowed in the room but is allowed to go with the baby to the NICU or regular nursery.

Just to let you know too, baby's born via c-section don't get the squeeze they would vaginally. If they swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid it can be in their lungs and tummy. This is common and will usually resolve but baby might be kind of spitty. Baby might also need to be on oxygen for a little bit just for the transition period. Not a big deal to worry about it occurs frequently, just a heads up.

• Options

Good luck!

Same as everyone else - no eating or drinking - not even water.  Also, on my soap I was given to shower with the night before and morning of - it said do not shave for 48 hours prior - I don't remember the reason.  My form also said call 1-2 hours before - I didn't, I forgot and it wasn't an issue - I showed up 2 hours prior and we did all of our meetings with the doctors - blood work - anesthesiologist included during that 2 hour time frame.  I had also already pre-registered by mailing in paperwork 6 weeks prior.

• Options

imagelil_jen051708:

I was not shaved for my c/s. OP, if your dr. did not give you this specific instruction, do not do it. In fact, if your dr. didn't give you any other instructions, I wouldn't blindly follow the instructions given to other women by other drs. You don't know their circumstances or the drs. practices. Many drs. do not shave because they believe not shaving reduces risk of infection. If you want to avoid a dry shave, ask before hand.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    imageJdunk2008:

As someone above mentioned you can shave but you don't need to do the whole shebang. If you just shave around your abdomen and just below that you will be fine. The incision is typicaly right where the top of your underwear are, or right where your belly slightly folds.

If you are able you will receive a spinal to help numb you up, if this doesn't work you will be put to sleep. If you are put to sleep your partner is not allowed in the room but is allowed to go with the baby to the NICU or regular nursery.

Just to let you know too, baby's born via c-section don't get the squeeze they would vaginally. If they swallowed a lot of amniotic fluid it can be in their lungs and tummy. This is common and will usually resolve but baby might be kind of spitty. Baby might also need to be on oxygen for a little bit just for the transition period. Not a big deal to worry about it occurs frequently, just a heads up.

My incision was below my pubic hair line, and I wasn't shaved.

Also, you make it sound like chances are 50/50 that she'll get GA. OP, the chances that a spinal or epidural won't take are pretty slim. Don't be scared that you might have to go under GA and your partner won't be there.

And about the fluid in their lungs, this is true. DD was gagging all night her first night. It was kind of scary for us as first-timers, but the nurses and MW were not concerned, and it cleared out.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options
    my doctor told me NOT to shave as shaving increases risk of infection.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"