Natural Birth

I really want to have a natural birth, but...

(Forgive me if this isn't the right place to ask this, but Idk where else to post this question).  

Even though I'm barely 11 weeks, everyone under the sun (gyno included) is already telling me I'm a candidate for a C-section. I'm 4'9 and a half and DH is 6'5. He wasn't a huge baby at birth, but who knows what size our baby will be. I was really hoping for a natural birth but I really don't know if it'll be possible. I just want to be safe.

Any other really short moms who have given birth the natural way?  

IAmPregnant Ticker

Re: I really want to have a natural birth, but...

• I am taller than you but I don't think height is going to be able to tell you if you can have a vaginal birth. I am 5'2 and I had both kids vaginally. My aunt is about the same height and had a baby over 12 lbs vaginally.

I have a friend who is 4'10 and had three babies vaginally. (average weights) Just because your husband is tall it doesn't mean you will have a huge baby and if you do it doesn't mean your body can't handle it.  

• I don't think you can guess whether you are going to need a c section solely based on your height. I also wouldn't automatically plan on it. I'd go forth with the belief and expectation that you will have the birth experience you want to have, but keep in mind (as always) that things may change. Keep an open mind. :)
    Wyatt 9/6/2011 
    Tessa 7/5/2013
    Baby #3- ????? (ttc soon)

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies! :)

I'm pretty much open to whatever, as long as it's good for the baby, it's good for me.

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • My grandma is 5'2" and had two ten pounders.  Your height has nothing to do with your ability to birth a baby.  I would run as fast and far away from your current OB as you can.  Find a midwife or a doctor who trusts in your body and your ability to give birth!

• If your doctor is already telling you at 11 weeks that you will need a c-section, you need to start interviewing new OBs if you really want a natural birth, I know it is hard to think about changing OBs, when you might already have a relationship with your current doc. But I did it, and it was the decision I ever made. Good luck!
  • Luckily it's not my OB! He said he's seen smaller people push out large ones. Interestingly my old gyno is the one who made the C section comment.
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • I firmly believe that your body will not make a baby bigger than you can birth it.  With the exceptions being GD.  I've seen a lot of smaller people have large babies to believe that.  Just watch what the drs are saying.  If they keep it up I'd switch.  If your Dr isn't there and the older guy is the one delivering you could be in a lot of trouble.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageprttyinpink809:
    Luckily it's not my OB! He said he's seen smaller people push out large ones. Interestingly my old gyno is the one who made the C section comment.

Good--make sure that your OB is on board with your plans, the usual drill :)  But it's a good sign that he's not buying into the "you're short you need a c-section" nonsense.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image+adamwife+:
    My grandma is 5'2" and had two ten pounders.  Your height has nothing to do with your ability to birth a baby.  I would run as fast and far away from your current OB as you can.  Find a midwife or a doctor who trusts in your body and your ability to give birth!

This exactly. If you're still in your first trimester and they're basing their plans for CS on your height, that is a BAD, BAD sign.

Your story should be added to this list:

https://www.friscowomenshealth.com/?option=com_wordpress&Itemid=205&lang=en&p=89  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • It's highly possible that his malpractices insurance is to blame. He's afraid of a law suit being filed - if anything goes wrong in your delivery via vaginal birth.

It's easier to cut than to wait for LO to arrive naturally. I would be searching for another OB-GYN which sees things more the way you do then helps you get the results you want. At the same time keep an open mind so if it comes to the C-section you want be disappointed! GL

• Add me to the camp that believes that mamas' bodies won't produce larger babies than they can birth (exception being when something is wrong, like gestational diabetes).  It sometimes seems that some OBs have a complex where they believe women's bodies are somehow inadequate and need to be fixed.  One of the great advantages of a natural birth is that you can push in different positions.  The on-the-back position doesn't let your tailbone move out of the way to open your pelvis, so if I was worried about size, my #1 commitments would be to try to get my baby in a good position (do pelvic tilts multiple times a day, try to avoid lounging back in chairs and crossing legs - see www.spinningbabies.com) and to avoid an epidural so I could be mobile and push either squatting or on hands and knees to open up the pelvis.
    imageimage image
    DS, May 2011
    DD, April 2014

• Get a new OB. I'm barely 5'0" and DH is 6'3" no one has mentioned anything about a c-section. All my aunts, cousins, grandma, etc. are under 5'1" and have all had vaginal births. There isn't one c-section in my family.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm slightly taller than you. I'm 5'0" and gave birth naturally. Our LO was 7lbs 15onces and big babies run in my family. I was looking pretty big so everyone was thinking that I wouldn't be able to have a natural birth, but I did and without drugs too! So it can be done.
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageaintmeamanatee:
    If your doctor is already telling you at 11 weeks that you will need a c-section, you need to start interviewing new OBs if you really want a natural birth, I know it is hard to think about changing OBs, when you might already have a relationship with your current doc. But I did it, and it was the decision I ever made. Good luck!

THIS  I would change even if I didn't want a natural birth and they were predicting a section this early for no medical reason. 

Natural M/c 12/13/08 at 8w5d 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If you want a vaginal birth, find a new OB.  Yours is already preparing you for a c/s.  

I am 4'10" and I had a c/s with my first.  My OB saw that I was small and doubted my ability to deliver vaginally.  So as soon as there was a hiccup in my delivery, we went off to the OR.  This OB told me I would never be able to deliver vaginally.

Well, I found a new OB, one who did not just see me as a small pelvis.  I had a VBAC with no problems, and my second baby was even a little bigger than the first one.  This OB was patient and even though I had to push for a few hours, I never felt rushed. If your OB believes you have as much of a chance as anyone else, they will work with you.  That is still not a guarantee but at least you will get a fair shot.  If they don't, they will find a reason to do a c/s.

GL 

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • All I know is that a baby will grown based on space and nutrition available. Rarely, even with tall dads, are babies too big to fit down the birth canal. My sister in law is taller than you by 3 inches and her husband is 6'5", she delivered at 39 weeks but had a baby that fit just fine 5lbs 12 oz. Don't let them strap you to a bed so you can continue to move around during your labor and you will most likely be okay if everything else goes well.

I know a chick can't outgrown it's egg.

In livestock they actually track stats on birth weights vs. growth rates, they look for low wt and high finishing weight. The two are not directly connected that big calf  = big beef. I know that's livestock but I think it's true for people too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Your height shouldn't automatically make you a candidate for c-section. I have a friend that is 5' and her husband is 6'6" and she had her 8 lb baby vaginally no problems. I'd seek another doctor.
  • I love how everyone is an expert with this kind of stuff :P.  I would seriously consider finding a new OB if they're already talking about csections!  

My grandmother is 4'9",  my grandfather was over 6'.  She had 7 natural births, three of them at home and one of those home births was to her largest (10lbs) baby! She also never tore and had her one and only episiotomy for her 7th child which I'm positive it was unnecessary.  

Don't let anyone tell you what you are capable of! 

imageimage 
  • My MIL and pretty much that entire family is around 5' or shorter. But she was telling me that my hubby was actually really long, she has no idea where his height went to. He's 5' 3" and I'm 5' 3.5". Just b/c you're short doesn't mean jack sh*t. You and hubby both could be midgets and have a freakishly tall child. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • image+adamwife+:
    My grandma is 5'2" and had two ten pounders.  Your height has nothing to do with your ability to birth a baby.  I would run as fast and far away from your current OB as you can.  Find a midwife or a doctor who trusts in your body and your ability to give birth!

This!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"