1st Trimester

Abnormal NT Scan

I had my NT scan this afternoon and the baby's neck measurement was 4.3. I know 3 or under is considered normal, so I'm going on Thursday for a CVS and more genetic counseling. I'm scared to death! Has anyone else had the NT scan come back abnormal and had a perfectly normal baby? Can anyone share with me their experience? I'm absolutely scared to death and it doens't look like I'll be getting any peace of mind anytime soon :(
BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Abnormal NT Scan

• One of my girlfriends did, and she went in for all the extra tests. Her daughter is now a year and a half and perfectly healthy with no special needs. During the process she found out that the NT scans are notoriously inaccurate. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• No, but (((HUGS))) to you! I hope you get your mind put to rest soon!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My doctor said that coupled with the blood test they are only accurate 92% of the time and they can give false positives.  I have heard of so many people who have gotten positives where their babies are perfectly healthy.

Did u get the blood results back as well?  

• The genetic doctor I saw said that the chances of the blood results coming back abnormal also were relatively high, so his suggestion was to be a little aggressive and do the CVS on Thursday morning. Rather than wait a week for blood results that will likely be abnormal also, since it takes 2 weeks to get results from the CVS we opted to get that done ASAP.

I'm completely freaking out....

• I know it's hard to do but try to stay calm.  The worst thing for you and the baby right now is an overload of stress and worry.  Just for now stay AWAY from Google!!!  Nothing good ever comes from Googling something like this.  Just talk to your doctor and get as much information and advice as possible and then try as hard as you can to remain calm until you can learn more.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• An NT Scan is a screening tool and a LOT of folks have had abnormal readings that come back to mean nothing.  Since it isn't a test in and of itself you just have to make the call to have the test done or not.  I have not been through an abnormal reading myself and I, like you, would be so very scared.  I hope your CVS comes back clean as a whistle.  I will wish some strength upon you to make the choice you feel is right for you and yours if it does not.  Be well between now and Thursday.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• imagemsm1379:

The genetic doctor I saw said that the chances of the blood results coming back abnormal also were relatively high, so his suggestion was to be a little aggressive and do the CVS on Thursday morning. Rather than wait a week for blood results that will likely be abnormal also, since it takes 2 weeks to get results from the CVS we opted to get that done ASAP.

im sry.  I wish there is something I could say or do.  Sending hugs ur way and keeping fingers crossed everything turns out fine. 

• Sorry for this additional stress.  With my first, we did not have an abnormal NT Scan, but the blood work came back as abnormal.  I opted out of CVS or amnio since due to other issues, I was having more ultrasounds than normal so the MFM doctor checked for abnormalities there.  I can say this was always in the back of my mind for the rest of the pregnancy and my baby came out totally healthy.  Hopefully the additional testing will give you peace of mind.  GL
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Okay 1st off--to the PPs: NT Scans do NOT give false positives.  They give you your chances of different genetic disorders.  Only a amnio or CVS can give you a false or positive result.  And they are not usually "inaccurate."  More often than not, they are accurate--85% actually.  

OP--sorry you are having to deal with this.  I do know women who had a high NT measurement and their babies were perfectly healthy.  Studies show that high measurements actually turn out fine 5% of the time.  GL and please keep us updated.

• OP, so sorry to hear this. Yes, I know several women who had an high NT and who went on to have perfectly healthy baby. As Luvmyducks said, and NT is never 'positive', it only shows elevated risks. It is just an indication that further testing is necessary, nothing more or less. I do not know how much of an elevated risk 4,3 mm means, but there's definitely still a chance that your baby is just fine.

Only the amnio and CVS can tell you what's really going on. I hope they'll bring you good nes!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We are going through the same thing. Our measurement was 7.5mm. We just got the 1st part of the CVS results back and they were negative. This is beyond scary but we are trying to push forward and stay positive. That's all that can be done. Hoping for everything to be normal in 3 weeks for the anatomy scan! GL to you and please msg me if you want to talk.
  • imageluvmyducks:

Okay 1st off--to the PPs: NT Scans do NOT give false positives.  They give you your chances of different genetic disorders.  Only a amnio or CVS can give you a false or positive result.  And they are not usually "inaccurate."  More often than not, they are accurate--85% actually.  

OP--sorry you are having to deal with this.  I do know women who had a high NT measurement and their babies were perfectly healthy.  Studies show that high measurements actually turn out fine 5% of the time.  GL and please keep us updated.

I agree with all of this.  Good luck to you.  I can understand how scary it must be but hopefully you will have answers soon.

• imagemsm1379:

The genetic doctor I saw said that the chances of the blood results coming back abnormal also were relatively high, so his suggestion was to be a little aggressive and do the CVS on Thursday morning. Rather than wait a week for blood results that will likely be abnormal also, since it takes 2 weeks to get results from the CVS we opted to get that done ASAP.

Yes, the NT scan is only an indicator for chromosomal abnormalities.  I had mine done at 12 weeks and had a measurement of 3.9mm.  We also saw the genetic counselor, which in my opinion scared the crap out of me, who said the chance of my baby having a problem was now 1 in 10.  We opted to have the CVS test done that day because as you said the Materni21 test would take 2 weeks and the CVS test took 2 days for results.  Those 2 days we had to wait for the results were the most horrible days so far of my life.  We already decided that no matter what the results were we would NOT terminate.  Friday afternoon at 4:30 the genetic counselor called and said, we were negative for all chromosomal abnormalities.  We also were told that our LO is a girl.  (A plus of freaking out is you get to know before anyone else due around your EDD that you are either a boy or girl). 

Oh BTW, we received a call about a week later saying that the blood test associated with the NT scan came back and our chance of a child with a chromosomal abnormality was now 1:3.  (This was wrong because we opted for the diagnostic test).  So do not freak out too much, you can PM me if you want to know more details. 

We just had our 20-week A/S scan yesterday and everything looks great with our little girl.

Sending T&P

Edit:  I should add that I am 37 and a FTM, I am considered AMA and see a MFM Dr. along with my OB monthly.  

• My BFF had an abnormal scan and they told her her baby had a chance of having downs. I forget what the number was, but she was totally freaked out. She went for all teh extra tests which included an amnio and she found out her baby had the correct number of chromosomes. She now has a perfect 2 month old baby. These stupid tests are so sensitive that they get people worried for nothing.
    BFP #1: 12/26/11, EDD 09/05/12; m/c discovered: 02/22/12 @ 12w u/s,
    D&C: 03/08/12 Waited for AF for 146 long days!
    Hysteroscopy/D&C on July 10th to fix blocked cervix (DX: Cervical Stenosis)
    BFP #2 12/8/12, EDD 08/21/13 Our rainbow arrived 08/24/13!
    imageimageimage

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Do they offer FISH results with a CVS? It's the rapid results. We had an amnio with our daughter and had FISH results in 48 hours and full results in 2 weeks. Just a suggestion!
  • We spoke with the genetic counselor again last night, my husband wasn't able to be at the appointment with me because he was on a plane coming home from business. She was nice enought to give me her cell #!  Anyway, she broke it down a little more for us, basically we have a 20% chance of there being a chromosome abnormality, a 7-12% chance of it being a structural abnormality, and about a 70% chance of it being nothing at all. She also let us know that 2 weeks for results is worst case, because of our insurance and the lab, we will have some preliminary results in a few days. Hopefully by Wednesday of next week I'll have more info!

I'll keep ya posted! This is such a hard thing to go through, and I really appreciate all the positive thoughts, and supporting words! Hoping and praying we fall into the 70% :)

• imagemsm1379:

We spoke with the genetic counselor again last night, my husband wasn't able to be at the appointment with me because he was on a plane coming home from business. She was nice enought to give me her cell #!  Anyway, she broke it down a little more for us, basically we have a 20% chance of there being a chromosome abnormality, a 7-12% chance of it being a structural abnormality, and about a 70% chance of it being nothing at all. She also let us know that 2 weeks for results is worst case, because of our insurance and the lab, we will have some preliminary results in a few days. Hopefully by Wednesday of next week I'll have more info!

I'll keep ya posted! This is such a hard thing to go through, and I really appreciate all the positive thoughts, and supporting words! Hoping and praying we fall into the 70% :)

Those are great odds! GL! Please keep us posted :)

• Emibat85- YGPM :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"