Health & Exercise
Options

Is Drinking 2 Gallons of Water Safe?

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and recently went to the hospital because I was in pain. After some hours they told me it was due to dehydration. That came as no surprise because I know I should drink more water than I do. The thing is the nurse gave me instructions to rest more and drink 7-8 32 oz (2 gallons) everyday. I found it a little extreme, and frankly so far for me physically impossible. I've talked to like 4 other people about it and they say that it's ridiculous and strange. Do I keep attempting to down all this water, listening to the hospital or do I drink according to what my body is telling me to? Just curious to know what others opinions are, and if anyone else has been told to drink this much water.

Re: Is Drinking 2 Gallons of Water Safe?

• Options

Are you sure they didn't say 7-8 8oz servings?  That is the norm.  I cannot imagine being PG and drinking that much.  I'd never leave the bathroom!

• Options
    It's funny because I thought maybe I heard her wrong. What I remember is she had me take home the 32 oz. cup they give you, and told me drink 7-8 of those. I double checked the discharge paperwork last night, sure enough it says 7-8 pitchers a day (assuming 'pitcher' is what they call the cup). 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    That seems like a ton of water to me! I drink out of a 24oz tervis cup during the day and I know that I started to feel better when I increased from 1-2 24oz cups a day to at least 4- 24oz cups.
    imageimageimage
    My two girls Flower and Ayla Faye
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm thinking she was confused or something. I'm going to inform my doctor on my next visit and just listen to my body. Thanks you guys! 
  • Options

I see you've already come to a decision but I thought I'd throw this in for good measure.  :-)  I read somewhere that the amount of water you should be drinking is proportionate to your weight, and that whatever your weight is, you half it and that's how many ounces you should drink.

For instance, my prepregnancy weight was 120 lbs.  Half of 120 is 60, so I should have been drinking 60 ounces a day.  Most days, I only made it to about 40-50, but it seemed to be a good formula for me, and still works even after I've gained a few pounds with this pregnancy.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers BabyFruit Ticker FuzziBunz at Nurtured Family
  • Options
    Sounds ridiculous. You can actually drink TOO much water. I would not take the nurses's word and ask my doctor STAT.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

It doesn't sound that crazy to me.  8oz is really small.  Most glasses of water are 16oz.  I know when I was pregnant I would have a glass of water with breakfast, a glass of water every hour from 8am to 4pm and at least one glass of water with dinner/before bed.

That's 11-12  16-oz glasses of water in one day, or  192 oz.  You were told to drink drink 2 more glasses than that.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"