Georgia Babies

Pregnant--No Maternity Insurance. Any advice?

I know this topic has come up before, but now that I'm actually pregnant, I was hoping to get some advice.

My dh's employer doesn't offer insurance, so we pay for our own individual plan and they don't offer maternity. I've heard that if you don't have maternity insurance, most dr offices and hospitals will work with you and, sometimes, offer a discount. I'll find out next week. Just wondering if anyone had any info.

I live in Woodstock. My dr is out of Northside Cherokee, so more than likely that's where I'll deliver. I'm also looking into North Fulton in Alpharetta. I don't want to go back to Kennestone and Northside is too far away.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Pregnant--No Maternity Insurance. Any advice?

• Yep, make sure you negotiate a cash rate with EACH provider, ie hospital, OB, anesthesia, etc. try to get it down to 30 to 40 percent of what they would charge an insurance patient. You are going to have to work hard but its worth it! Try searching online for tips, strategies, and even scripts to use when talking to these folks. Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Also, check to see if there are any state programs that could help you. I'm not sure but there may be something for the underinsured when it comes to childbirth.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Hi

I am self employed and I have an individual plan that does not have maternity insurance.  Believe it or not, there is not an individual plan in the state of Georgia that offers maternity coverage.  This will change in 2013 when all insurers are required to cover maternity insurance.  

So, unfortunately when you are in this situation you cannot be picky and may have to drive.  My first choice was Kennestone Hospital in Marietta; however, they wanted to charge us $17k for the hospital room alone.  We contacted Northside and I believe their package was around $6k as well for the hospital.

I ended up choosing Piedmont Hospital.  The hospital is charging us $3000 for the hospital room.  The OB practice is charging us $3500 for all visits (labs & ultrasounds are separate and have cost about $1500 so far). The anesthesiologist is charging $2400 for the epidural.  This is all for a vaginal delivery with no complications.   I believe the OB charges and additional $3500 for a c-section.  So far, we are $10k out of pocket. 

• I had my daughter in 2008 w/o insurance.  We negotiated the rates up front for ob care and with the hospital for delivery.  We paid in full before the 7th month of pregnancy began.  I knew if I had a c/s I'd have to pay more to the H, but I asked time and again if there were any costs I should know about that they had not divulged to me.  I was told no, time and time again.  

I had my daughter via C/S and then the bills started coming.  The anesthesiologists office, the pitocin, the epidural, room and board, the pediatrician who visited my daughter after she was born, etc, etc, etc.  After negotiating a rate of $2800 with the hospital for delivery, we ended up paying roughly $20,000 out of pocket.

They will nickel and dime you to death, so be prepared.  We got bills in the mail for a year after delivery.  

I'm not saying this is ideal for everyone, but in retrospect, I wish I would have hired a midwife and had a home birth.  I probably would have save about $15,000.  

I'm not trying to scare you, just let you know that whatever you "negotiate" with the hospital, there are hidden costs, no matter what they say.   Best wishes to you and H&H 9 months.  

• I appreciate all the advice. I actually am considering a home birth, but am nervous about that, as well. I spoke with Debbie at Birthing Right today and loved her. I'm more concerned about the after care. Baby's immunizations, circumcision if needed, etc.

Also, I read that its actually illegal to have a home birth in Georgia.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again--I sincerely appreciate all of your input.

• I believe you can apply for pregnancy medicaid if your insurance does not have maternity coverage. It is only a temporary coverage.   Check that out.  I read that your decision will be on the spot and if you are approved they will cover everything.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks--I think its a shot in the dark, but I'm going to apply tomorrow.
  • In order To qualify for Medicaid for pregnant women:

Family Size

Income Limits

1= 1,862 per month 22,344 per year

2 =2,522 per month 30,264 per year

3 = 3,182 per month 38,184 per year

4 =3,842 per month 46,104 per year
  • I called to verify eligibility. Family of 5 is $45,000. They don't count the unborn baby, so that's definitely a no go for us. Guess a home birth it is for us.

• I also live in Woodstock and am currently uninsured entirely.  I appear to qualify for the PCIP ( Pre-existing Condition Insurance Plan) though since I have been totally uninsured for the past 6 months and have applied for that.  However, I initially thought we would be paying for all the maternity expenses out of pocket so was researching the options and found Intown Midwifery.  This is my first pregnancy but the rates seemed reasonable to me, especially if a C-section isn't needed. And they offer payment plans. They have a doctor they partner with if a C-section is needed and you meet him right away which was reassuring to me.  They only deliver at Atlanta Medical Center though.  Maybe that will be an option for you also.  :-)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was denied medicaid and told that the state can't offer me any of assistance. I'm pretty terrified of having a home birth. I just don't know if we can pay for ob care/hospital stay out of pocket.
  • Hey there, I see this was an old post.. but are you familiar with 'spending down' on medicaid.. or were you able to negotiate rates with a hospital?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"