November 2012 Moms

Exclusively Pumping? Come on in!

So I've noticed we have a lot of EPers on this board, and there's not really a "pumping" board (and if you're like me, you get kind of testy at all of the advice people give you on other boards when you mention EPing... you know, because you didn't REALLY try!) and there's not a ton of information out there.

Maybe we can do a pumping check-in, or at least intros so we know who to buddy up with if we have questions.  What do you think?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Exclusively Pumping? Come on in!

• I'm not sure if I count because I pump to supplement his formula. As long as he is getting breast milk too I don't see the problem. He is growing like a freaking weed so I must be doing something right! He gained 7 ounces his first week and grew 1.25 inches! Yay for my LO!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I didn't realise people did this much, I'm intrigued! I've been EBFing, and although it's getting better my nipples are killing me 10 days in, and I've been fantasizing about pumping instead. I haven't pumped at all yet so don't even know if I'll like it, I just know I'm getting frustrated but don't want to quit feeding LO breast milk. What are some of the reasons others are EPing?
  • Loading the player...
  • Babycakes I'd count you, since you'd probably be looking for the same types of advice, too.

For me, BFing has been a huge failure, though I'm still working at it. LO won't effectively suck, and after a bad experience with a nurse on day 1 and a bad reaction to formula, we had to syringe feed him for several days. He still wasn't eating enough or nursing, and lost almost a full pound in three days. At the pedi's urging, I switched to pumping and bottle feeding. His growth is back on track, and it's helped us bond a lot better than me forcing my boob in his face. He's nursed a few times, but not enough to be considered successful.
  • Checking in!  Stamp my passport!

EPing because my LO won't latch.  He gets one suck in and then drops my nipple.  She said his tongue is underdeveloped & that he will grow into it & doesn't doubt that he will eventually latch on because he does so well nursing with a nipple shield. This is all according to my LC.  I have my 3rd appt with her today @3pm today.

Problem is, I'm beginning to think EPing is easier than messing with the NS because the NS is a struggle, takes longer to feed him & I don't know how much he gets vs were w/ a EPbottle I know exactly what he's getting. Plus DH can help with feedings - a huge plus.

Ideally, I would like to be able to do both - thats why I keep going to the LC in hopes the LO can latch and I can keep both options open.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • i have yet to start pumping! 
    Photobucket Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • This topic is very interesting, I've heard that only pumping may create an oversupply, can you comment on that as well?
  • So glad to hear I am not alone. I did ok at the hospital with bring but when we got home it got so fustrarting we didn't do very well so now I am ep.

my question to you is how often does everyone supplement formula? Because since he is growing I am starting to not produce enough milk to keep up with him.

Thank you and hope everyone is getting some rest  

• I'm not a exclusive pumper, but I just wanted to say that I think it is awesome that you guys still make sure your little one gets breast milk.

I think it is ridiculous that people would think you didn't try hard enough. I think it's much easier to give a boob when lo is hungry then to have to pump, store and bottle feed. Honestly, I think I would have just given up and formula fed if I couldn't get LO to take the breast. So good job to you ladies!

• Yay!! I love this!

I have been ep'ing ever since my milk came in.

My boobs have always been stupid huge, and I guess my nipples are really tough and dense. That combined with ds's "lazy" latch made for a lousy start in the hospital. It still just breaks my heart thinking about how he would just scream at me bc he was so hungry and frustrated. He hasn't ever screamed like that since.

At the very end of our stay, I spoon fed him hand expressed colostrum in the hospital. And then like I said, started pumping as soon as my milk came in.

I've tried to put him to breast a few times since, but we still had kind of the same problems, and the last time he had my nipple cracked and bleeding within a few minutes. So I'm on the pumping train for good.

Re: oversupply, I've been pumping about 40 to 50oz per day. Which is ridiculous, but I've already had mastitis and a few clogged ducts in my right breast. So, I really feel like that situation would be much worse if I was bf'ing directly bc there's no way he could empty my breasts. So I'm putting up with the oversupply for now.

I'm just counting down until 12 weeks when I can start dropping some pumps, hopefully!! I'm at 7 to 8 per day right now. I know I won't be able to keep that up once I go back to work at 18weeks.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I'm not an exclusive pumper, but I was a working mom when my first daughter was born.  I pumped during the day and bf at night.  I don't have all the answers, but I'd be happy to share some of what I learned during that process.

Can pumping create an oversupply? Yes and no.  Typically during the first 90 days, a woman has a natural oversupply while her body is regulating to baby's needs.  If a woman begins pumping during this period of oversupply, it signals to her body that the baby requires that amount of milk and her body will respond accordingly.  In that sense, exclusive pumping can create an oversupply.  The body produces breastmilk in a supply and demand cycle.  If the body thinks the demand is high, the supply will boost to match the demand.

Can pumping diminish supply? Again, yes and no.  When a woman pumps, it is important that she mimics baby's eating cycle.  Most women that find their supply diminishing while exclusively pumping have not adequately matched their pumping schedule to baby's eating schedule.  For example, if a woman does not increase frequency of pumping during baby's growth spurts, her body has no indication that baby requires more milk.  If a woman does not maintain a consistent pumping schedule, this can also cause a diminished supply.  Missing a pumping session has an immediate effect on a woman's supply.  The body assumes the milk was not needed and therefore slows production (that and your boobs are full and achy!).

• P.S. We should totally get a badge. With a clever slogan.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

• My LO actually has a ferocious suck. I was destroyed after 2 days. I cried through every feeding after that. Delivery didn't even hurt that much. The lactation consultant could barely get her finger out of his mouth when she came in to see us. He is doing great on the bottle. I had him latch on the other morning and I was right back to where I was. Pumping it is!

• imageLuckyMissus:
    P.S. We should totally get a badge. With a clever slogan.

Straight pumpin'....?

Get it?

• imagerachael_c26:
    imageLuckyMissus:
    P.S. We should totally get a badge. With a clever slogan.

Straight pumpin'....?

Get it?
    Bahaha!!!

"Pumpin' ain't easy"?

• Me, me! I EP'ed for weeks. Had to start out that way with DS in the NICU, and I kept it up when he came home because that's all I knew. Have just this week started the transition to breastfeeding. DS is doing okay, but sometimes his latch isn't so good and my nipples are pretty sore. So I'm debating if I'm going to just remain an EP'er. Haven't made up my mind yet. Even if I do BF, I will still pump quite a bit because I want DH to be able to feed DS...I need a break sometimes!
  • What are some of the reasons others are EPing?

My 4 week old was possibly burning more calories when BF than she was getting so she was not gaining weight very well, so I am temporarily EP and supplementing with Formula if I run low ( supply is decreased a little since i started EP) with hopes to go back to BF & Pumping if I can... once she gains enough weight to be strong enough ....

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• There is a website called pumpingmoms.com It's pretty good. And workandpump.com
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I pump lots. I nurse with the nipple shield, but lately with so many visitors, it's been easier to just pump. I have a Ameda Purely Yours and I pump every 2 hours for 20 minutes. LCs at the hospital told me every 3 hours at first, but Z really eats every 2 hours more than 3 so I upped it to every 2 hours. I get 4-6 oz in the early mornings, 3-4 late at night, and 2-3 during the day. If I nurse first, then pump, it's usually about 1 oz. I definitely feel like a dairy cow, hooked up to the machine every 2 hours, but it's starting to get easier. I just turn on the TV and zone out for 20 minutes while the pump does its thing.

Edit: I get those many oz per 20 minute pumping session.

• As far as supplementing, I haven't had the need to yet. Knock on wood!

I am able to keep up with his demand, even as it changes, plus another 12 to 18 ounces. Technically, yes, I've created an oversupply, but I'm okay with it. I go back to work in early January, so having the backup makes me feel more secure. Plus there's a great startup program in our community that gets donated milk to infants in foster care, generally who were born to mothers with drug problems. If we find we don't need the stash, it will go there.
  • imageAmyG*:

There are a LOT of exclusive pumpers on the breastfeeding board and elsewhere on the bump.

I think there is a super pumper siggy somewhere.

I know a lot of women over the last 12 years of giving breastfeeding advice who have pumped.   Some have been successful and the number increases as pumps do improve in quality and there is more knowledge out there of what works and what doesn't work.

But Eping is discouraged for some really good reasons.  The biggest thing is that it's hard as h e double hockey sticks to maintain your supply for a year.  A baby uses manual manipulation and suction, a pump only uses suction.  So it may be a struggle to fully empty your breasts to keep your supply high.

Most epers quit at the time of one of the big growth spurts, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months or 6 months, when they are unable to convince their pump that their baby is going thru a growth spurt, and supply goes down instead of up.

Others give up when baby starts STTN and they still have to get up and pump in order to get enough for baby to eat during the day.  Or when baby gets more mobile and following baby around is not conducive to pumping frequently eough. 

There are some moms that are blessed with a huge supply where pumping works well and is a time saver, because instead of pumping every 2 hours they only have to pump a few times a day to get 25 oz of milk or more for baby.  Unfortunately early milk supply at a few weeks or month is not an indicator of future success.  I know too many epers who just could not maintain their supply with a pump alone past about 3 months when hormones stabilize.

Just the sheer number of posts on any breastfeeding board from moms about supply issues, and not being able to pump enough, points to how much of a  struggle for most moms to pump.

I would recommend to any new mom who is eping because baby lost weight in the beginning, or due to poor latch or due to sore nipples--to realize that how things were in that first week or two, is no indicator of whether you can nurse directly at the breast or not.  

And if any LC gives you advice that your baby can't latch or has too strong of suction or whatever, get a 2nd opinion.  That is usually the sign of someone without enough training to really evaluate and help you fix your problem.   A frequent cause is a tongue tie --which is often missed--especially the side and posterior tongue ties.  Many LC's that are in the hospitals are not IBCLC lactation consultants (board certificed) and may be CBC (certified breastfeeding counselors) or trained lactation nurses which means they have some training but not enough.  Realize that often they've only seen newborn babies and they really don't know how to help you out if you have difficulty once you leave the hospital.

If you've realized all the above, gotten latch and tongue tie etc checked out and know the problems going into Eping, then more power to you.  Just so many moms find it as I don't know how to fix this breastfeeding problem so I'll pump as if it's an easy choice.  It's just not that easy.  it can be but there are no guarantees it will go that way.

Best advice I can give is to still read up on the right amount of milk baby needs in a day (about 25 oz) and how to bottle feed in a breastfeeding friendly manner. so baby doesn't eat too much, too fast.  See a real big hazard of pumping and you see the milk is that you aren't sure how much to feed, so you follow a lot of the bottle/formula hints and expect the amount baby eats to go up and up like it does of formula.  Bso then moms freak out when they can't pump 30 or 40 or more ounces a day.

But remember formula is stuck at 22 calories per ounce, and breastmilk varies from 15-40 calories per ounce.  The nutrition even if you are pumping will change within your breastmilk to meet baby's needs as they get older--so they can get enough food without eating bigger amounts. so aim for that 25 (range 19-30 oz) a day to pump and relax a bit about the amount.  A lot of pumping moms find that they feed whatever they pump, figuring that their body knows what it's doing and is making the milk in more or less ounces for baby's needs based on how often and how long baby is eating/mom is pumping.

Of course a good quality hospital grade pump is a good idea to get started well.  pumping often enough and long enough--aim for every 2 hours at first, then 2-3 hours durig the day and 3-4 hours at night, or as often as baby eats.  prematurely dropping frequency of pumps is a big no-no for long term supply. 

Be sure you are pumping long enough, 5-20 minutes after the milk stops flowing to signal a higher supply, but moreimportantly to signal a 2nd or 3rd let down like baby would get while nursing--which really signals a higher supply. 

Be sure you are not setting the suction too high, it will colapse the ducts to make it impossible for the breast to empty. 

Also be sure that the pump horns are the correct size, medela I believe has a chart to help you figure it out. 

hands free pumping bras are recommended or you can make your own with a sports bra

store pump in the fridge between pumping sessions so you don't have to wash it as often.

that's all I can think of at the moment.

Good luck no matter what you decide!!

Thanks for the info, Amy!

• imagerdmitten:
    Thanks Amy! Your post was very helpful and informative for me. I appreciate you popping in with advice and tips!

This.  I think that while EPing can be done, it's important to know your goals and mitigate expectations, and I think you made that clear in your advice.  I know for myself and a lot of the others on the board, EPing was chosen as an alternative to formula as opposed to EBFing.  For me, I'm hoping it's a temporary solution, and baby will be on the breast before long.  I appreciate the tips to try to get to that point.

For the November pumpers, I think the goal of the checkin should be geared toward these goals and just supporting each other on the way to them.  With, of course, a little fun and snark thrown in for good measure so we don't go crazy.  Whether the goal is to delay starting formula, getting back to breast, whatever, make sure you know those first so you can get the most out of the checkins.  KWIM?

Now about this badge.... any volunteers?

• Agreed, ironmom! I'm attending a LLL meeting on the 14th of next month in hopes they can fix our latch. Besides that, my first goal is making it to 3 months of BF/EP, whichever it happens to be. :)
  • You made me sign in for this one! We should definitely do a check in.

My baby was in the NICU for 6 days, so I started pumping when I was away from her and BFing when I was with her. We were doing great with the nipple shield until I brought her home. She eats A LOT. When I BF we stay up for 3 hours eating off and on. It's a huge PITA and my nipples started getting really chapped and cracked and feedings started to hurt bad. Plus things get messy with the NS and we both end up drenched in milk.

I already have an oversupply from pumping while she was in the NICU. If I fully empty my breasts I get out 8 oz total. I didn't know this was an issue until I talked to an LC and she told me I should start weaning and try to get down to 5 oz. With the way she eats I was always in pain and engorged. So pumping 5 oz every 3 hours has made both of our lives SO much easier.

| R 11/22/12  |  L 03/14/14 |
  • We're still working on BFing, so I've been pumping a lot. We had one good week of BFing after she was born and then LO got thrush and that put an end to it. We had to start all over again. Now she'll sometimes nurse with a nipple shield. I'm crossing my fingers that we can actually go back to BF occasionally. Pumping all the time has been exhausting!
  • Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm a "January 13" mom with a preemie born 7 weeks early in November 12, so I'll probably be chiming in here just as much as (or more than) the January 13 board now...

I'm mostly pumping as LO is in the NICU and struggles to BF. I'm not sure at what point, if any, we'll be able to go to EBF so pumping it is. This thread was very informative. Thanks for the information... I'll be checking back often!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"