Adoption
Options

Small Update on M

Sorry I haven't been on in a couple of weeks, things have been hectic.

We took M to Disney last week (just got home a couple of hours ago), and had no trouble getting her on the plane.  They did not even ask for a birth certificate or a letter from her parents  So that was a huge relief! (We did have the birth certificate, but could not locate either parent to get them to sign anything).  While in Disney, she ate like a champ!  And not just the crap that I would never in a million years feed her at home.  She ate meat happily, and even asked for more!  It was so great, we did not hear, "I don't like it!" at every meal (she usually does this before the food is even put in front of her, so this was huge!).

Going to Disney with a child who you aren't too familiar with is HARD.  We hadn't even had her a full  month before we left, so she was not used to our ways of doing things and we really weren't used to her way.  Our kids are used to sleeping whenever and wherever, but she is not.  Her mom didn't work and didn't leave her house much, so M is used to being on a schedule and only sleeping laying down(not in a car or stroller).  I had to rearrange many of the things we had planned because she cannot handle being out later than 8ish.  That was a huge challenge for me, because I love Disney and am used to being there from park open to park close!

I am glad we brought her with us though, because it really would have been hard on her to go with her grandmother for a week and then come back to us (grandma lets her eat things and do things that we do not allow, so it is a challenge even after just a few hours of visiting to get her to stop having meltdowns about even the simplest rule here). Disney was at least a great opportunity for her to bond with us 24/7.

The day before we left Birth to 3 came out and evaluated her, and she does not qualify for any services.  Which is amazing, because when we got her a lot of her communication was grunting and screeching.  She has come a long way since being with us and interacting with my son (and his speech has actually improved, too - it's a win/win!).  They gave me some great pointers on improving her speech (she is right at the normal level as of now), and helping her in other areas.  I was so thankful that they were able to move up the evaluation, it wasn't supposed to be until we were back.  It was so nice being in Disney and knowing that professionals had checked her out.

As far as guardianship is concerned, we are still trying to figure that out.  Being away for a week didn't allow us to do much, so her grandmother is coming over tomorrow to discuss whatever she got done during the week.

Hmmm for a small update that sure was long.  Thanks for listening!

5/10 - Gideon 6/12 Warren
4/11 Started adoption process for 2 siblings through DCF. 10/12 Found out we are licensed! 12/14 Brought 3 week old identical twin girls home from the hospital.  Could be at least until Summer 1015 til we know if they are forever ours

Re: Small Update on M

• Options

Disney is always fun. Glad you got through it relatively unscathed. I say that because I'm 35 and still have meltdowns when I get overtired at Disney!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm glad M is progressing, Disney can be so overwhelming for any kid much less one going through a lot of change.  I'm so glad you guys got to bond, that is an awesome place to do it Smile

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker}

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    It seems like the family vacation was an over-all success. I'm sure you'll all get used to each other soon and soon enough it'll seem like M has always been in your life.
    TTC since June 2010
    5 Angels

Lilypie - (hlC0)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"