Health & Exercise
Options

Frustrated as hell

Okay, so my background is that I used to be extremely obese. After I delivered my son, I was 288lbs and 5'5. Through counting calories (little to no exercise), I lost a lot of weight and have been maintaining for about the past 18 months at ~175lbs, plus or minus a few pounds.

I recently decided that I was ready to lose the rest of the weight, so I decided to do the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Slimdown (the combo of the 30 Day Shred, Banish Fat Boost Metabolism, and No More Trouble Zones). I've been following the plan religiously and I am on day 13 right now. 

I haven't lost any weight. Not a pound. And I am still counting calories and eating a balanced diet. I average around 1400 calories a day.

It's been really depressing. After two weeks, shouldn't I be seeing some sort of results on the scale? I've been working out hard and I don't want to give up but this seems so incredibly frustrating. 

Re: Frustrated as hell

• Options
    It's not just about losing weight...if you are all of a sudden adding exercise into your routine when you hadn't been doing any previously, additional weight loss will not happen overnight - you are going to be toning and whatnot right now.  It takes time (and remember, you are only on day 13 right now).  Are you even taking in enough calories to meet the additional demand created by an exercise program added in?  Do yourself a favor and just put the scale away.  You become too dependent on that and it's numbers it's going to have the opposite effect of what you are trying to achieve. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

It happened fast last time, when I was just doing the Shred. Granted, I was exercising maybe three times a week then and now I am doing 6 days a week, but I didn't think that would make the difference.

I'm eating 1400 calories. As far as I know that is an adequate amount for a person my size. I am not adding anything extra for the exercise but I was told not to add back what I burn, especially since the amount of calories burned is really only an estimate anyway.

Hell yes I'm dependent on my scale. It used to reward me every week as I saw pounds disappear. And then I needed it to make sure I wasn't getting too far off track while I maintained. I wasn't putting a lot of effort into maintenance, just not going crazy. It was certainly easy to keep myself at that weight, but I'd like to finally get to where I want to be. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

1400 calories is an adequate amount for a sedentary woman who weighs 140 lbs.  It is likely that your body is not getting enough food, and thus holding on to fat. 

There are two other possibilities, both of which I've seen when working with weight loss clients.  The first is that you're gaining muscle, which is denser (weighs more, takes up less space) than fat.  Have you been taking measurements with a measuring tape, as well?  If it's muscle, your hard work will be reflected in smaller numbers on the tape.  The other option is that you're dealing with some kind of hydration issue.  Often I see clients retain water when they begin working out.  Usually this disappears in the first month. 

Give it a few more weeks!  Two weeks is very little time.  

• Options

The Lose It iPhone app recommended 1439 calories for me to lose 1.5lbs a week. Is that not correct? I just haven't been adding back the workout calories because I was told not to.

No, I have not been measuring myself. I drink a lot of water so I wouldn't think that is a problem. 

• Options
    I think in your particular case, you may want to enlist the help of a nutritionist or personal trainer...or even join something like weight watchers...something to give you a bit more guidance than just trying to do it all on your own.  Lasting results and weight loss just doesn't happen overnight, not in two weeks' time either.  Again, I think you are relying too much on the scale.  How are your clothes fitting...are they fitting better?  Are you noticing a change in your shape at all?  I have gone from a size 12-14 in the spring to a current size 4.  Honestly, I have never before been a size 4, but I am probably 15 lbs. heaver than my lightest adult weight.  The big difference is the muscle i have built up.  My abs are bordering on definition, my biceps would make a pre-teen boy jealous.  My legs are becoming more and more defined each week.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

LOL I know it doesn't happen in two weeks' time. Like I said, I lost 100+ lbs on my own before. I started losing weight in February 2010, I just took about eighteen months "off" to maintain my current weight.

But every time I've lost in the past, the weight started coming off right away and that's my surprise that it has not this time. I think I look a little different but haven't really noticed a change in my clothes. I'm a size 12 right now.

Definitely not looking to pour more money into losing weight since I've been successful in the past, and I don't want to learn a new way of counting stuff (points). I'm fine with nutritional labels.

But I guess I'll just finish out the month and see how it goes. I mean, it has to work eventually if I keep it up I guess. But I'm just really frustrated because I'm missing that tangible reward that I am used to getting. 

• Options
    I also think you need to eat more but its about what you eat too. Up your protein, veggies and fats, decrease or eliminate your grains, carbs, fruits.
  • Options

imageKateVA:
    I also think you need to eat more but its about what you eat too. Up your protein, veggies and fats, decrease or eliminate your grains, carbs, fruits.

This.  I can eat upwards of 2,000 calories a day and still lose weight if I do this (and I'm short too--under 5').  Maintaining is easy too,  I just watch my sugar and skip the grains.

ETA:  I thinking losing weight slowly (like 2 pounds a month) is ideal.  It allows your body team to reset to a lower weight and you won't run into the trap of your body wanting less calories to maintain.  I lost my last 10 pounds over a year and it resulted in a new "happy weight" that is easy to stay at.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    you are building muscle and that's not something your body is use to so it's hanging on to water which is making you retain that number on the scale.  when I first started my weight loss program I actually gained 2 pounds.  man was I pissed!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Keep us posted on your progress!!  I wouldn't be surprised if the first loss is a big one.  Good Luck!!
  • Options

imagevlagrl29:
    you are building muscle and that's not something your body is use to so it's hanging on to water which is making you retain that number on the scale.  when I first started my weight loss program I actually gained 2 pounds.  man was I pissed!

Yeah, that would have royally pissed me off too. At least this hasn't been quite so bad even considering no loss.

I'll come back and post next week. I weigh in on Thursdays. 

• Options
    It is a really good idea to hide the scale.  Just focus on how good excercise makes you feel.  Soon you will notice that you have a lot more energy and your clothes start to fit better/get baggy.  Then bust the scale out and have a look, but it really can be depressing to watch the scale not move.  Keep in mind that even if the pounds are still there, they may be different pounds, more muscle etc, and if you focus on feeling healthy and not the pounds disappearing, it will help you to be more patient.  It will come off, keep up the good work.
  • Options
    Are you getting enough protein?  You need a lot of protein on board to help build lean muscle and you need lean muscle to burn fat.  It is frustrating, hang in there, you are worth it.  
    Heather - Nathaniel 10/25/06

Madelyn 11/4/08

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"