Military Families

Care package

We would like to send a care package to a neighbors unit that is stationed in Afghanistan.

i was hoping you could help me figure out what is best to send. We would love to send them food and essentials. Are there things they are actually in need of? What is best to send? We thought we'd go to SAMs club and spend about $500 any ideas you have would be great.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Care package

• That is so nice! Depending on where their unit is will impact what they need. If your neighbor is on a large base, there probably isn't too much he/she has to do without while over there (except for family and loved ones of course!). I hear good coffee is always appreciated - regardless of location. Also, I'm sure your neighbor would love a note from you & if you're close with his/her family a reassurance that all is well on the home front. I have more experience sending care packages for a service member on a Forward Operating Base (FOB) in a remote location, here are some ideas from my experience: baby wipes, hand sanitizer, protein bars, trail mix, instant oatmeal, instant meals - in the dried foods section, tuna fish, protein powder, Gatorade powder, dried fruit, chap stick, vitamin C drops (to keep healthy), Men's fitness magazines, beef jerky... My hubby always asked us not to send too much junk food - he faced some combat situations and needed to be in tip top shape. Your neighbor is lucky to have someone so thoughtful and I'm sure will appreciate whatever you send.  Happy shopping!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Baby wipes for sure!

DH always requested those little flavor packets you can pour into bottled water.  Also instand cold coffees were good, mini electric razors (I think they're called on-the-go razors or something?), those little packets you break to make mini heating pads that they can shove in their pockets, tuna packets and crackers, toiletries if they don't have a store on base where they are (shampoo, conditioner, body wash, loofahs, shaving cream, deoderant, floss, toothpaste, toothbrushes, foot powder, etc), new clean pillowcases, and clean underwear.

They also enjoyed little debbie snacks, candy, and homemade goodies.  He always used those items to trade people for other things he wanted lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker Graphics
  • Loading the player...
  • Scented dryer sheets. We used those for boots, keep our lockers smelling good, put them in the air conditioner/ heater to help our hooch not stink. Also, cheese cloth can be great for them to put over their heater/air conditioner to help trap some of the dust and junk.

CJ 05/29/2013

• imageCaitlin879:
    That is so nice! Depending on where their unit is will impact what they need. If your neighbor is on a large base, there probably isn't too much he/she has to do without while over there (except for family and loved ones of course!). I hear good coffee is always appreciated - regardless of location. Also, I'm sure your neighbor would love a note from you & if you're close with his/her family a reassurance that all is well on the home front. I have more experience sending care packages for a service member on a Forward Operating Base (FOB) in a remote location, here are some ideas from my experience: baby wipes, hand sanitizer, protein bars, trail mix, instant oatmeal, instant meals - in the dried foods section, tuna fish, protein powder, Gatorade powder, dried fruit, chap stick, vitamin C drops (to keep healthy), Men's fitness magazines, beef jerky... My hubby always asked us not to send too much junk food - he faced some combat situations and needed to be in tip top shape. Your neighbor is lucky to have someone so thoughtful and I'm sure will appreciate whatever you send.  Happy shopping!

This is a wonderful list. Things I also send are, Airborne, tissues, chap stick, a large travel mug for the coffee, fat free fig newtons (our friend who is out there loves them) lotion, bars of soap, and deoderant (sp?)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you for the tips!

We ended up going to Sams Club yesterday and loading up. We packed 8 boxes last night and now I just have to finish all the customs forms and get it to the post office.

Thanks again!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Non-aerosol air fresheners, news papers, magazines, snacks (especially anything seasonal), good toilet paper.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"