Natural Birth
Options

If you have a hospital birth...

Can you still get your placenta encapsulated or do they just toss it because it's a "biohazard"?

Re: If you have a hospital birth...

• Options
    Depends on hospital policy.  You'd have to check with them.  Sometimes you have to sign a paper of some sort to be able to keep it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They let me keep mine. I didn't have to sign a paper but I did have to remove it from hospital premesis immediately. It couldn't go to postpartum with me. My sister took it.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It depends on the hospital - I wanted to take mine but wasn't allowed. 
  • Options

imageoliversmommy32912:
    They let me keep mine. I didn't have to sign a paper but I did have to remove it from hospital premesis immediately. It couldn't go to postpartum with me. My sister took it.

This. My doula took mine home with her and encapsulated it. My OB did give me a weird look when I requested to keep it. 

• Options
    My understanding is that the doula who performs the encapsulation can give you the paperwork for the hospital to let you take it home.
  • Options
    I've never experienced a hospital staffer refuse to give a placenta to the mom.  I have very often experienced them telling the mom they shouldn't be giving it to her, however, and handling it off to her in a sly fashion.
  • Options
    It seems weird and culturally insensitive to tell a mother she *can't* have her own placenta, at least if there is a family member willing to take it home, therefore eliminating any kind of biohazard risk.  I wonder about the legality of that.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

imageallierhiana1:
    My hospital allowed it, although I did not have it done.

Same 

• Options
    I would think most hospitals will let you have it provided you sign some paperwork. Just let them know ahead of time. If you have any complications though, your doctor may want to send it to pathology. This might be something to consider otherwise it should be yours to keep.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say that it is the norm here in Southern California for women to encapsulate their placentas, but it is much more common than it used to be. I have never heard of a hospital around here (greater LA or SD areas) refusing to give it to a woman or her practitioner. With my first pregnancy, I had a hospital transfer from a birth center and had no issue getting it from the backup OB. This time, I will be in a university hospital birth center and it's also pretty standard for people to ask for it. Best wishes!   
    Monique (38), Wife to Steve (32), Mom to DS Sacha (4), DS Ronen due Aug. 1st! BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Call L&D or ask your Dr. but it is my understanding they cannot refuse to give it to you. But you may need to do some things prior to giving birth (i.e. paperwork and such) to get it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Tell them you want to keep it but don't tell them why. Though it may be policy that you can keep it, sometimes when a person disagrees with you things "accidentally happen." My sister wanted hers and the nurse in the corner sneered that it was disgusting. She never got it and to this day I think it is because that woman tossed it on purpose. She just wanted to plant a tree with it. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We can have ours! I just have to sign paperwork and my doula can take it when she leaves! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• Options
    You will need to check with the hospital. If they say no, check with your state just to be sure. Some states have special leeway for "products of conception". With DS1, I was told I couldn't have it without a fight. Only later did I learn that this is contrary to state law.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"