Natural Birth

Buying used cloth diapers?

Hi ladies.  Baby #1 due May 6 and I'm debating cloth vs. disposable diapers.  I was a cloth baby and will be a SAHM, so I'm leaning to cloth right now.

My question though is... I've heard moms who use cloth diapers say that there is a market out there to sell their used diapers at.  How does that work?

Can I buy used diapers somehow?  Is that gross?  None of my friends/family have used cloth in the last 10 years.  Craigslist?  I really have no clue.  Is buying used diapers from a stranger weird?  Just sounds so out there to me and trying to wrap my head around it.

Thanks so much!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Buying used cloth diapers?

• I bought a good deal of my stash very gently used. A lot of moms will resell their diapers after only using them for a very short time either because CD just didn't work out for them or maybe they just preferred another brand, etc.  I don't find this to be gross at all and the type of diapers we use can be bleached if that would make you feel more comfortable :) 

Craigslist is a good option to find diapers locally.  My online favorite is diaperswappers.com.

Also, I don't know if you've seen it or not, but there's a cloth diapering board on The Bump as well if you want to ask this question over there.  

GL!

imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • It's not gross. It's a good idea.
  • Loading the player...
  • A lot of people buy them used, it's not gross :)

As pp said check out the CD board as well, they are a wealth of information over there. 

• I don't think it's gross. It was and still is a little hard for me to figure out which ones to buy used though. I finally won my first auction on eBay and was really proud of myself lol. I bought 2 B.G. pocket diapers that are one size. If I remember I got them for $25 and they came with 2 inserts.

Pretty much all sellers are going to tell you if there is a stain or the elastic is coming undone, how long they were used, why they are selling them and even sometimes what they washed them in. When I bought the 2 I have off of eBay that seller showed a picture of one of them where a stain is. It was just because she used a diaper rash cream that looks like it bleached the diaper. No biggie.

I was so overwhelmed with the whole thing but have been on the CD page here on the Bump and have done a TON of internet searching. Most websites that you can buy CD's off of have an infomation page that gives you all the info you need.

I just recieved my first shipment from Kellys closed (bought snappies, covers and a pail liner) and Green Mountain Diapers (bought 24 prefolds). It's odd how exicting buying diapers can be lol

Good luck!

Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
  • I don't find it gross at all. The lifespan of a diaper lasting well beyond one baby is what puts any shadow of a doubt to rest that cloth is environmentally and financially superior to disposables. We've got some some stuff from CL, but really diaperswappers.com's FSOT (for sale or trade) forum is the used diaper sales hub.
  • We DD'd Ds, but decided on CDs for this Lo! We bought gently used and they look brand spanking new! No stains or anything. Plus, my baby is going to poop in them, it's really not important to me if she is the 1st one to do so :) GL!
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

It takes a special amount of bitch to induce menstruation in another person. - LovelyRitaMeterMaid

Rap Roller
  • I bought most of mine new--the majority of my stash is prefolds with covers, the cheapest option.  I did, however, pick up some BumGenius diapers second-hand--the mom selling thought she would cloth diaper and decided against it.  You'll see moms on the CD board here selling occasionally, there are always tons on ebay (though I'm a little leery of ebay as you often can't see the condition from the pics posted).  

I didn't feel weird about buying CDs from a stranger--though for some reason I did feel better that it was another bump mom...even though I know that's irrational.  I washed and prepped them before using them, of course! 

• I bought a few different types used, and then when I found our favs, sold the others and bought more of our favs new.  I bought most of our NB stash used since they are only used for a few weeks.  They looked brand new when I bought them, and looked brand new after DS.  I suspect they will after our 2nd too.
    ~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The only dipes I've bought new were GMD workhorses for the newborn stage, & only because I wasn't able to find them used & my EDD is fast approaching. All of our other diapers (close to 40) were purchased used. Some are from CL, some are from a cloth diaper swap on FB, & the rest are from a local consignment sale.
  • One of the best parts of cloth diapers is that they are resellable (as long as they are still in good shape).  We bought our NB stash from Craigslist and they were awesome.  We'll be using them again for this baby (although I think I'll be buying new or used covers because the ones we had didn't work that well.)  But we got a huge stash for $150.
    imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Buying used diapers only seemed (a smidge) "gross" to me until I was reminded that diaper services bring you "used" (like, a lot!) diapers and then pick them up, clean them, and bring you back more used diapers.  Um, duh.  So no, I don't think it's gross at all anymore and a bit of our stash is used and I hope to sell all of ours when we're done diapering :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • The bulk of our LO's stash is used as well.  I got some from craigslist and some from the trial program at diaperjunction.com  It isn't gross to me at all since they'll get washed before use no matter what (used or new).  I did buy a bunch of new inserts to replace some that seemed like they might be getting up in age but those are much cheaper than buying a whole new pocket diaper!
  • 99% of our diapers are used. 100% of the nb diapers we used we purchased used because they are in them for such a short time that it is silly not to buy them used (plus the nb ones are usually in amazing, like new, condition since they are used for such a short period of time). 

We got most of our diapers off of ebay and diaperswappers.com

I did want to add though that I ALWAYS clean and strip (with blue dawn) all used diapers that we get before they go on my dd. So if you get used I would recommend doing that as well.

Congratulations on your lo, you are going to love cloth diapering (at least I do).  

TTC since July 2009 ^Rosemary^ May 7, 2010 Holding my rainbow, Beatrix, since August 21, 2012
  • most of our stash is from diaperswappers. i love buying used!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Nothing wrong with used, but get pictures if buying from Craigslist or whatnot. That way you know if they're badly stained or damaged. Stains can be sunned out but I wouldn't want to do that if I didn't have to, with it being winter and all... But Nickis Diapers website sells gently used diapers, and I absolutely adore Nicki's Diapers!

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"