Natural Birth
Options

squatting

What does everyone do for squatting?

Do you do reps, or chill in a squat? Are they full squats, or  just to a 90 degree angle? If you can't get your bum low enough to rest on your calves while still having a flat back do you make any modifications like sitting on something?

Married to E on June 5, 2010
Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.

Re: squatting

• Options
    Some of it all. I'll do reps by tossing my son in the air, I'll hang out in a squat to read him books or build block towers. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I try to sit in a squat when I'm reading or watching tv, but it's soooo uncomfortable to me. I barely last a few minutes.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageBLPL101:
    I try to sit in a squat when I'm reading or watching tv, but it's soooo uncomfortable to me. I barely last a few minutes.

What do you find uncomfortable? For me it is my ankles. I think maybe I roll them in too much. 

Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    Whenever my lower back starts to bother me I do them around the house, I've done a few at other people's houses too.  A few times in a store when DH was taking his sweet time.  LOL.  I think it feels great!  Just watch your posture.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Squatting was recommended as a way to open up the pelvis in prep for labour.  I try to do a full squat (thighs resting against calves) for about 20 minutes a day. Our midwife and doula noted the important part was to lean forward a bit while doing it, rather than straight up and down, preferably with your hands in front of you like a frog.  At first this was really uncomfortable, but it's gotten easier with time.  What happens now is that my legs fall asleep after a while.
  • Options
    Ugh, I tried these and just can't do it.  I have a lot of pelvic pain and it only made things hurt worse.  In my Hypnobabies class my instructor showed me a way to sit with my bottom on two towels and knees up that's basically a supported squat and I can sit like that all day no problem so... hoping I can just do without the full squats completely.
    imagephoto 64bf363d-3af0-4dcc-b880-c06326daa418_zps78d8d389.jpg
    *My Blog*

photo 0cc607b9-4233-4842-8175-d093f8f92ca8_zps7cc00875.jpg
    10/50 Read

my read shelf:
    Stephanie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    My knees start to hurt when squatting. Anyone else have that problem and found a way around it?
    EDD: May 29, 2013 BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

imagevlevitt:
    Squatting was recommended as a way to open up the pelvis in prep for labour.  I try to do a full squat (thighs resting against calves) for about 20 minutes a day. Our midwife and doula noted the important part was to lean forward a bit while doing it, rather than straight up and down, preferably with your hands in front of you like a frog.  At first this was really uncomfortable, but it's gotten easier with time.  What happens now is that my legs fall asleep after a while.

This is how I did them.  The Bradley class was big on doing squats so I would spend 20-30 mins each night squatting.   I found that it convenient to do them while watching TV because in the beginning they were uncomfortable.  By the end of my preg I was used to doing them  so they were not uncomfortable anymore.

• Options
    imageaylafsu88:

imagevlevitt:

This is how I did them.  The Bradley class was big on doing squats so I would spend 20-30 mins each night squatting.   I found that it convenient to do them while watching TV because in the beginning they were uncomfortable.  By the end of my preg I was used to doing them  so they were not uncomfortable anymore.

Do you think it helped your labor and delivery? I'm doing regular workout squats as a way to keep active (I didn't know about this pregnancy prep) and 1-2 minute wall sits as a way to measure my breathing and practice being calm through the uncomfortableness to help me prep for labor. These sound way different. Can I find more about them on spinningbabies or something?

• Options
    imagejeggomyeggo:
    imageaylafsu88:

imagevlevitt:

Do you think it helped your labor and delivery? I'm doing regular workout squats as a way to keep active (I didn't know about this pregnancy prep) and 1-2 minute wall sits as a way to measure my breathing and practice being calm through the uncomfortableness to help me prep for labor. These sound way different. Can I find more about them on spinningbabies or something?

Honestly, I do not think they made a huge difference.  I was really into doing them because I wanted to deliver in the squatting position which allows the pelvis to be really open. However, when I was in labor I was more comfortable on hands and knees in the tub and when it came time to deliver I did so in the side position.  You can probably look up  how to do them on spinning babies.  I learned them in the Bradley class.  They taught us to position your feet shoulder width apart and then drop down until your butt is almost on the floor. You can rest your arms on your knees or have you H/SO hold your arms.  To get out of the squat you lean forward, put your hands on the floor and walk yourself back up.  In the class we practiced abdominal breathing to help us relax.  I did find that really useful during labor.  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"