Special Needs
Options

Polymicrogyria

Well, I had my Athena Jane's autopsy explained to me yesterday.....My little girl had a 22q deletion and DiGeorge Syndrome, which we knew. What we or the doctors didnt know is that she had Polymicrogyria (sp?) which is a fatal diagnosis. Had they known that, they would have never done two major open heart surgeries on her. From what Dr. Bailey said, they would have just made her comfortable until she passed.

So they are using her brain and her heart as teaching tools at Loma Linda. If you don't know about that hospital, they are the best hospitals in the nation for hearts and hopefully in the future brains. Athena Jane's memory will live on and she will definitely leave her mark for future children and their families so that they do not have to endure what we did for 3 months.

The hospital is in the process of getting the funding to do in utero brain testing like they do for in utero heart scans. Once they accomplish that, they will be the only hospital in the nation that does it. God bless Loma Linda! I hope no one will ever have to experience this.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Me - 41 DH - 28 **** Proud mom to Christopher, dob 7/15/92 **** Nathaniel dob 1/18/05 -1/18/05 (8 mos) in heaven **** bfp 8/26/10 m/c 10/14/10 at 7 wks. **** D&C 10/15/10 **** Cycles 1-4 BFN's **** Cycle #5 - 100 mg Clomid **** IUI #1 - 04/23/11 and 4/24/11 - 5/8/11 IUI #1 = BFFN BFP 10/14/11 - EDD 6/22/12** Stick little one Stick! Athena Jane 5/31/12 - 8/28/12

Re: Polymicrogyria

• Options
    I'm a newer poster, so I've missed any prior posts by you, but I'm sorry for everything you had to go through. It sounds like you've manage to find some peace, so I'm glad for that. Best wishes to you and your family!

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I posted while I was pregnant, but when she was born we were stuck at Loma Linda for 3 months and I didnt have much time to update. Tongue Tied
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image Me - 41 DH - 28 **** Proud mom to Christopher, dob 7/15/92 **** Nathaniel dob 1/18/05 -1/18/05 (8 mos) in heaven **** bfp 8/26/10 m/c 10/14/10 at 7 wks. **** D&C 10/15/10 **** Cycles 1-4 BFN's **** Cycle #5 - 100 mg Clomid **** IUI #1 - 04/23/11 and 4/24/11 - 5/8/11 IUI #1 = BFFN BFP 10/14/11 - EDD 6/22/12** Stick little one Stick! Athena Jane 5/31/12 - 8/28/12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It sure can be hard to post sometimes. I dont want to go on a pity party, so I will just say I can empathize. I have found that I have gotten more love on the bump than I could have ever imagined. My birth month board has been greatly supportive even during my times of not posting much.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. LLUCH is an amazing hospital, we live just down the street.
  • Options
    Thank you for sharing your daughter's brain and heart with the hospital.  I cannot imagine the pain that you are still experiencing from the loss of your daughter, but the gift you have given our world is amazing.  Doctors will learn so much from your gift and hopefully many many many future children will benefit from the knowledge they gain.
  • Options
    My daughter has polymicrogyria and I never ever heard of it being fatal. It can cause delays, mental retardation, and seizures. so unless they are implying a seizure is fatel im not sure about this. Polymicrogyria is extra grooves on the brains surface. Im really confused about this
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Im very sorry for your loss I didnt mean to come off rude. I have a non profit for schizencephaly and polymicrogyria is on the spectrum and I just dont believe thats accurate information. I however do not know what your situation was but I firmly believe that was not the cause
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageJustinlove:
    Thank you for sharing your daughter's brain and heart with the hospital.  I cannot imagine the pain that you are still experiencing from the loss of your daughter, but the gift you have given our world is amazing.  Doctors will learn so much from your gift and hopefully many many many future children will benefit from the knowledge they gain.

This.

I am sorry for your loss. What a wonderful tribute to your daughter. God Bless.

WAY 2 Cool 4 School

• Options
    imagepandabear12178:
    My daughter has polymicrogyria and I never ever heard of it being fatal. It can cause delays, mental retardation, and seizures. so unless they are implying a seizure is fatel im not sure about this. Polymicrogyria is extra grooves on the brains surface. Im really confused about this
  • Options

imagepandabear12178:
    Im very sorry for your loss I didnt mean to come off rude. I have a non profit for schizencephaly and polymicrogyria is on the spectrum and I just dont believe thats accurate information. I however do not know what your situation was but I firmly believe that was not the cause

She had a couple other neurological factors that contributed along with the heart issues....her brain was small from the get go and Polymicrogyria was the major one that had they known about, the two heart surgeries were basically useless to put it bluntly.  You're right though, Polymicrogyria on its own is ok, but because she had other contributing factors that was the one that was most prevalent to the pathologist.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"