January 2012 Moms

Sleeping Problems ??

So DD is 10 months.  I haven't had a full night sleep in over a year.  I'm sure you all can relate to your hips hurting and having to change positions often in your last trimester last year, not to mention the bathroom runs.  Well my DD is still not sleeping through the night :-O

Is anyone else's lo not sleeping through the night.  Or has anyone tried something that really works.  She doesn't get up often but wakes up once every single night.  Her doctor said not to feed her and just let her cry it out.  I just can't do it.  She starts to really ball !! And I do work.

Any advice would be appreciated!!!!!  PLEASE!!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleeping Problems ??

• We are still not sleeping through the night. She wakes up every 3/4 hours for a little snack. I don't have the heart to let her cry b/c she goes crazy. I figure she will sleep one day. She puts herself to sleep in the beginning of the night so I know she can do it. She just wants momma so I'm there for her. These days go by so fast I'm enjoying the cuddles.
    June 2006-married Bug... April 2009-gave birth to Pinky... January 2012-gave birth to Cakes
  • DS isn't STTN either.  On an average night, he wakes for a feeding every 3 hours or so.  It gets rough when he's up every 2 hours, and sometimes he lulls me into a false sense of hope by only waking once or twice.  I've tried letting him cry it out, but he holds out for a feeding.  I figure he'll get there on his own time.

I'm with you on not having a full night sleep since before he was born.  DH feels bad about that, but until DS either weans or starts STTN, there's nothing to be done for it.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • My DD has been a horrible sleeper since day one. Since she was about 8 months old she started STTN more frequently. For the past 3 weeks or so she's STTN most of the time. But when she does wake up I DO feed her. After her bottle she's back out. She's hungry and I won't let her CIO for that. The thing is, our babies are approaching one year and are going through some major growth spurts again. At least I notice that with my DD. Prior to about 3 weeks ago, she was waking up quite frequently between 3-5 am and I'd feed her. It's what she needed.

Yes, this age babies should be able to go all night without a feeding but at the same time, their bodies are going through such radical changes that sometimes they just need a little extra fuel. I talk to my doc and take his advice but if some things just don't work for us, then I do it MY way not the doc's way as they don't know everything either :P

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My LO used to be a champ at STTN starting at 8 weeks. And then he started teething.

He will start out in his crib and then will wake up around 2am. At that point I bring him into our bed to nurse, and I normally end up falling back asleep and he just stays in bed with us. Ive tried putting back into his crib but then he just wakes up again. So for my sanity and brain function the next day for the time being it is the best solution for us.

• well my DS1 was a terrible sleeper, so I think I've had various bouts of good sleep but for the most part have not enjoyed reliably STTN for nearly four years.

I have done Ferber. Worked great for both kids. Until something happened to disrupt it. There is definitely a difference between what I think of as "complaining crying" and "real crying" and it's something I learned through doing CIO. So if DS2 is just complaining, I know he'll fall asleep. If he's really crying, I go to him.

For a while after sleep training he'd go down at 7:30 and sleep till 4:30 or 5 every night. it was awesome. I'm totally fine with nursing him at 4:30 or 5.

Lately (for the last 6 weeks maybe?) he's been waking erratically and sometimes complaining and sometimes freaking out. for the last month or so I've taken to nursing him again in the middle of the night, both for my supply and his comfort. But sometimes he wakes up at 9:30, or 11:30 and it's like having a newborn again.

Between the teething, eczema, milestones and potential for illnesses I'm unwilling to really let him CIO right now because I'm always worried something is really going on. But I'm at the end of my rope and the lack of sleep is starting to affect me negatively in my health, in my work, and in my emotional state.

I know these days are short (believe me I know, I look at my 3yo and I can't BELIEVE he's so big already!) but sometimes I feel like I'm in too much of a fog to even enjoy them properly. I will not miss this lack of sleep part.

ETA: sorry this was less advice and more commiseration. my only advice is that all things pass - the good and the bad. if you don't feel right doing any CIO approach, know that he will eventually sleep. my DS1 was horrible but he's ok now. we lie down with him when he needs us but it's not like it was. now he's the good sleeper! haha. GL!

• I don't have any advice but I too am exhausted from lack of sleep.  Every now and then he will sleep through the night from 7 pm to 6 am but normally he needs a pacifier replaced once around 1 am and a bottle around 4:30 am.  He has a cold now so everytime he coughs the monitor goes off.  He used to get up numerous times so this is at least progress for him.  Sympathy for you!
  • my son has probably sthn a total of 3 times...and that was at 5 mths old. i have no clue what to do.  weve done cio at 4 mths old and it worked for getting him to sleep at bedtime but he ALWAYS wakes up at 1-2 crying so i nurse him, rock, and try to put him down again.  Sometimes it works (even tho he wakes up crying at 3 or 4 again) but  usually he feels me setting him down and freaks out so its cosleeping for us. i plan on weaning soon and im actually scared of how sleepless my nights are going to be.
  • I am replying because I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!

However, in hopes to make you feel a little better about your situation, my LO wakes up 3-4 times EVERY NIGHT. All attempts to let him cry it out at all have never worked. If you can think of any sleep strategy, I've tried it. I have what you call a SPIRITED BABY. Those who have one, know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Have you tried maybe just switching out formula/BM with water or diluted it down to where she just might not feel like it's worth it to get up. 

I wish I could be of more help, but mainly I wanted you to know you aren't alone, and sometimes that's all I've really wanted in the midst of losing my mind, is just knowing I don't have the ONLY kid in the world that's like this. 

I'm going to keep a watch on responses, because if someone has THE answer, I need to at least give it a try too!!! 

Best wishes to you :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"