New Jersey Babies
Options

Difference btwn FMLA and NJ FLA

Does anyone have a really firm understanding of this?  I've spoken to a local HR person who explained to me that they are independent programs and that the NJ FLA (to care for a new born) kicks in AFTER FMLA (short term disability).  Does this mean that, depending on when the baby is born I could have up to 24 weeks off?

My corporate office is in FL and they have NO understanding on NJ laws so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.  I've printed the fact sheet from the NJ labor board but I want to make sure I fully understand it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

My Relationship Humor Blog: The Hubby Diaries

Re: Difference btwn FMLA and NJ FLA

• Options
    imageHennessy:

Does anyone have a really firm understanding of this?  I've spoken to a local HR person who explained to me that they are independent programs and that the NJ FLA (to care for a new born) kicks in AFTER FMLA (short term disability).  Does this mean that, depending on when the baby is born I could have up to 24 weeks off? No you do not have 24 weeks off.  FMLA is 12 weeks regardless. NJFLI runs with FMLA - so NJFLI will pay you for 6 weeks, of the 12 weeks and then you only have 6 weeks left of FMLA, which you do not get paid for. 

My corporate office is in FL and they have NO understanding on NJ laws so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible.  I've printed the fact sheet from the NJ labor board but I want to make sure I fully understand it.

Hopefully these 2 links help

https://lwd.dol.state.nj.us/labor/fli/fliindex.html

https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

From what I understand from the NJ website:

You get 6 paid weeks after normal birth, of couse at only 60% of what your salary was. Then the FMLA will give you 6 more weeks paid (at same rate) to care for a newborn. Total weeks off are 12. But, you can choose to take those intermittantly throughout the year if your company will allow. I will most likely be taking the extra 6 right after the first 6 weeks you get from the state. I hope this helps! Smile

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My understand is different so I guess it varies by company and what your benefits are.

I am getting 18 weeks total. Plus my own time added to the end.

I get fmla, which runs concurrently with my company's std leave which is 6 weeks paid. Some of the money is from the state and the company kicks in the rest to give me 199% salary. So it works out to 6 weeks paid, and 6 weeks unpaid.

then the mj fli kicks in where you get 6 weeks of bonding time. You can take it in a lump sum or you can take it intermittently until the child is 2.

Afterwards if  the co allows, you can use other paid time you may have accrued. For me that will be 4 weeks of vacation time. 

Life comes at you, be ready
  • Options
    I believe that for natural birth you are allowed to take 18 weeks (6 weeks STD and then the NJFLA starts after STD, which gives you another 12 weeks...6 weeks which is paid through NJFI).  I'm still talking to my HR and having problems trying to get them to understand that NJFLA starts after STD ends...
  • Options

It is so confusing and it seems like my company is trying to save money and not give any information.  

I was under the impression that I get 4 weeks prior at 100%  (my STD covers this) and then I get 6 weeks vaginal or 8 weeks c-section at 100% pay (still covered under STD).  After that I can take the extended leave of 12 weeks without pay.

However, with the new FLA I was under the impression that I would get 6 of the 12 unpaid and 6 would be 66 2/3 paid by the state.

It's so confusing and I don't think companies understand what is going on either.  I work in NJ and our corporate headquarters is located in NJ but we have to contact our outsourced HR department in CT! 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't know but maybe the following below will help.  I just found these today and I plan on printing these out and taking them with me to HR.  The second link, look at page 9 from the top!   

https://www.nj.gov/oag/dcr/downloads/posters/8x11_flaposter.pdf

https://www.nj.gov/oag/dcr/downloads/FamilyLeaveAct-Regulations%20.pdf 

• Options

With a vaginal birth you should get 18 weeks (6 weeks + 12 weeks NJFLA)

With a C-Section you should get 20 weeks. (8 weeks + 12 weeks NJFLA)

You exhaust all FMLA when you take your NJFLA leave as well.

I took 20 weeks, plus an additional 2 weeks vacation, which gave me 22 weeks off post partum. In addition, in the state of NJ you're allowed to leave work a month before your due date, and this does not count toward your post partum time off.

• Options
    This is correct.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"