May 2013 Moms
Options

UO!

13»

Re: UO!

• Options
    I can't think of one right now...I thought I had one in my head, then I went to the bathroom and forgot what I wanted to say... 
  • Options
    imagekmcd23:

I'm just curious, and truly not trying to be snarky. What is considered acceptable by most of the May moms? Obviously not finding out the sex, not fb announcements, not questions about first time flutters, not vents about family/husbands/etc., nothing that is easily found on google, nothing that could be construed as begging attention... pretty much any post that sets you out as an individual hoping for a response even if the topic is very general is complained about.

What is considered post worthy, when you're not in crisis? (I say that, because I know how supportive everyone is when someone IS in crisis. Across the board, support, and that is awesome.)

I know you can't please everyone (and really, why would you try on a message board), but there seems to be a pretty big consensus on how annoying most posts are, so I'm left curious as to what is interesting to people. 

I think it's mainly a repetitiveness thing.  It doesn't actually bother me because I've always believed you can just keep scrolling if you don't want to read about that particular thing (provided people actually put something in the subject line about what the post is about). 

I mean it's going to keep happening the whole time.  Now it's the boy/girl thing, next it will be the glucose test, then the internal exams, then are you going natural or epidural, etc.  There is always something at each point in pregnancy that gets asked/posted over and over. 

The one that does get me is the HDBD or if we do something later like a Progress check in (when you get internals towards the end, my last BMB did this).  If there is obviously a thread that is always started on a day about that subject it gets annoying when people just make their own thread. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Since most of the UOs are pretty popular, to spice things up a little, I searched the depth of my soul for a truly unpopular opinion. I don't like Pinterest. There I said it.

I'm not a terribly creative person, and really I have no desire to become one. But Pinterest makes everyone else seem so much more creative and crafty, which in turn makes me seem even more boring and unoriginal in comparison. I had no fancy photo Facebook announcement with cute pumpkins or shoes, no gender reveal party with balloons popping out of a box. I haven't even thought about what color to paint the nursery or color coordinate the bedding. And chances are I won't throw my kid themed birthday parties with handmade invitations, party gifts, and homemade themed food. Not that there is anything wrong with doing all of that stuff, it just doesn't interest me to do it

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

My UO... very Unpopular

I do not see what the big deal is with the crib bumpers. I slept with one, my siblings did, every baby in my family I know of slept with one and not once did they ever scooch their face right up to it.

If anyone has a legit article about why they are bad (not one that just states that X number of babies died because of them) then I would like to read it but I honestly don't get it and I just picked out my crib bumpers and I love them! they are super cute

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagejanapettus:

imageslweaver0626:
    I LOVE all Christmas movies... except A Christmas Story. It drives me nuts and I can't stand it. DH knows it and turns it on every year. He's sooo thoughtful. ;)

I hate "It's a Wonderful Life."  It's like 2 hours of depressing followed by like 5 minutes of happy.  I hate it.

Thank God!  I thought I was the only one.  My H adores this movie so much that as a gift to him last year I said I would sit and watch it with him with out sarcasm and eye rolling.  It was SO hard.

My Life in D.C.
    The Daily Nugget

photo beachwave_zps17d3b89a.jpg
    Cycle 12, IUI #1 - 33m post wash 10/15/10 = BFN
    Cycle 13, IUI #2 - 15m post wash 11/16/10 = BFP, missed m/c, D&C 1/3/11
    Cycle 15 - 18, IUI #3-6 = BFN
    Cycle 20, IUI #7 = BFP!, missed m/c 9/14, D&C
    DE-IVF Aug. 2012: ER 8/30 11R, 7M, 4F; ET 9/4 returned 2
    Beta 9/18 #1-820, #2-1699, #3-7124
    10/1 1st u/s measuring right on track, 125 bpm

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagekmcd23:

I'm just curious, and truly not trying to be snarky. What is considered acceptable by most of the May moms? Obviously not finding out the sex, not fb announcements, not questions about first time flutters, not vents about family/husbands/etc., nothing that is easily found on google, nothing that could be construed as begging attention... pretty much any post that sets you out as an individual hoping for a response even if the topic is very general is complained about.

What is considered post worthy, when you're not in crisis? (I say that, because I know how supportive everyone is when someone IS in crisis. Across the board, support, and that is awesome.)

I know you can't please everyone (and really, why would you try on a message board), but there seems to be a pretty big consensus on how annoying most posts are, so I'm left curious as to what is interesting to people. 

As you said, you can't please everyone. And what annoys the crap out of one person, someone else may love to read - so it's all subjective. That said, I think if you make a point to read/respond more than you post about yourself, you get a pretty good feel for the vibe of the board. You start to notice what gets asked/posted every. single. day, ad nauseum. And you know that Wednesdays are HDBD. And you know that DD's are frowned upon. Etc., etc. It also stops you from asking something that someone else just asked three threads down, or starting your own AW post when people were already discussing the topic at length in another thread. That sort of thing.

BFP #1 10/6/11 | EDD 6/15/12 | MMC 11/7/11 @ 8w3d | D&C 11/14/11

BFP #2 8/22/12 | EDD 5/5/13 | DS1 born 5/9/13

BFP #3 4/25/15 | EDD 1/7/16 | MMC 7/2/15 @ 13w1d | D&E 7/8/15

BFP #4 12/9/15 | EDD 8/22/16 | DS2 born 5/18/16 at 26w2d

Just keep swimming.
  • Options

So both of my UO related to ones already posted.

I agree that the blow up christmas decoration are incredibly tack, but I LOVE tacky christmas decorations.   DH and I always drive around to find the tackiest decorated house we can find.

My other UO, while i feel that blood screenings, NT, and anatomy scans should be offered and available to whoever wants them, I really think people get WAY too many ultrasounds.   I understand if you are high risk getting one, but if not, then i don't see the point.  I know that you want to see your baby, but to me it just drives up health cost for no reason.  

BabyFetus Ticker image image
  • Options
    imagemytinc:

imageslweaver0626:
    I LOVE all Christmas movies... except A Christmas Story. It drives me nuts and I can't stand it. DH knows it and turns it on every year. He's sooo thoughtful. ;)
    Agreed!!  I just don't get that movie.  I've never been able to sit through the whole thing.  I just find it annoying and really don't understand the craze that drives people to watch it over and over, have news articles when someone buys the house where it was filmed (in northern Ohio), or people who ooh and ahh over a stupid leg lamp. Give me just about any other movie, or turn off the TV.

EDIT: spelling typo

I live in the neighborhood in Cleveland where the movie was filmed - I can actually walk to the Christmas Story house in about 10 minutes (there is actually a kick ass bar across the street, cheap beer and awesome food). There are leg lamps EVERYWHERE. I don't really care for the movie - for some reason it just makes me feel creeped out and uncomfortable. Of course, when we bought our house someone gave us a mini leg lamp that is in our guest room...when that becomes the baby's room, my husband plans to keep it in there.  Ugh.

• Options
    My UO is I really don't understand people who are so impatient to find out the sex of their baby (sex, not gender!) that they get an elective ultrasound like 2 or 3 weeks early. Really, you can't wait? I guess it's your money to spend however you want, but I really will never understand this.
  • Options
    imagecrazycoffeegirl:
    imageHoolahZinger:
    imagesmiles325:
    imageHoolahZinger:

I'm joining late to the party but I don't see why people are obsessed with Chick-fil-a. Sure, it tastes good and the sauces are good but it's not THAT awesome. I expect this wont go over well with most people Wink 

I am a Chick-fil-a lover. But, I think mostly because I don't have it where I live, so it's a special treat that when I happen to visit an area that has it, it's like, I MUST HAVE IT- kind of deal. 

I do however, feel the same way as you with In-n-Out. It's just "eh" to me. 

I agree with In-N-Out. It's good but I don't get the obsession. We went on Tuesday with my sis and BIL and I really wanted to go somewhere else but everyone wanted it.  

I LOVE in-n-out. I don't normally eat burgers, in fact, I've never ate a burger at either mcdonalds or burger king (I know, I know, blasphemy and very weird), but I will eat a burger at in-n-out. It's not so much the burger itself, but the customizability and freshness of the burger. It already comes with lettuce, onions and tomatoes if you want it, which is unheard of at most fast food places, but you can change it to be grilled onions! Plus, I love the fact I can see them making their fries right then and there with whole potatoes and you can order them extra crispy. 

Now I need In-N-Out!!! My DH is from California, and the first meal I ever had in California was In-N-Out. We live in L.A. and I swear, every single one is packed all day.

BabyFruit Ticker
    16 Ch. du Barrage, Lac-Beauport

• Options
    imagejanapettus:
    imagecromie713:
    imageKateRN08:
    imagedoribeth851:

imageWifeyProverbs31:
    My UO is that I think women who get their hair and makeup done to give birth are crazy. You are going through one of the toughest things in life, I expect you to be sweaty and messy. I get you want pictures of your newborn, but seriously...makeup?

People actually get their hair and make-up done to give birth? Don't get me wrong, I definitely did my hair and make-up before going to the hospital, but I would never pay someone to have it done. I never knew people did that!

I can't think of a UO right now. I'll work on it... 

I meant do my own, not pay someone to do it.

I think there's a big difference between putting a little makeup on, fixing your hair, and being presentable for visitors after being a sweaty disgusting mess for the last 12-36 hours of labor

or

hiring someone to do your makeup and hair PRE-LABOR so you can look good while you're pushing lol

This!  I don't give a crap what I look like during, but yeah, I don't want to look half dead when people start coming in with their cameras!

i looked half dead and didn't care...hahaha....after almost a week of failed induction attempts and then a c-section, I didn't give two sh!ts what I looked like!! People should know what I went through!! Lol! 

• Options

When it comes to the repetitve posts, what bugs me is that we seem to have a crop of people who dont bother to read other posts and just want to AW themselves or get attention.  If you were a regular reader of the board, you would see that someone else JUST POSTED what you are asking.  So either be a part of this board or dont, but dont get upset when people think you posting the 5th question about "OMG IS MY BABY KICKING!?!?!" is obnoxious.

Im also over the multiple tickers. 

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options
    imagebhjones1980:

to give a warning I am in a crankapotamus mood today...

My UO, is some people need to step back and stop making the Bump their personal blog, do we need to see 4 or 5 new threads a day about a fight with your DH, family member drama, every little ache and pain in your pregnancy, etc.

It has gotten to the point where if I see certain posters names I just ignore the thread.

take a minute to think "will this thread contribute anything of value to the board?"

end rant 

Can you be my internet girlfriend?  Seriously get a gd friend to text.  I don't need every single event of your life posted on tb
  • Options

a). A Christmas Story is my favorite movie. I even have a real 1983 movie poster framed and hung in the house. I am jealous of whoever said they get to walk by the house-I've contemplated going to Ohio just to see it.

b). In regards to the "it's a..." posts, I think people are genuinely excited about finding out the sex and want to share that excitement. I will probably post one when we find out next week and will not be offended in the slightest if people just scroll on by (which is what I did after the 25th NT Scan-related post).

And my real UO:

I think infants in Santa suits are creepy. I also think it is weird to take your infant (less than 3 months old) to see Santa.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBlueyed228:

When it comes to the repetitve posts, what bugs me is that we seem to have a crop of people who dont bother to read other posts and just want to AW themselves or get attention.  If you were a regular reader of the board, you would see that someone else JUST POSTED what you are asking.  So either be a part of this board or dont, but dont get upset when people think you posting the 5th question about "OMG IS MY BABY KICKING!?!?!" is obnoxious.

Im also over the multiple tickers. 

This, and everything else that has been said in response to my comment, makes sense to me. I read most posts. I skip the "it's a" posts. I don't know why. They don't bug me, I just don't feel like opening them. lol. But I'm really bad at noticing who says what where... maybe that's why I don't get irritated by it, since I don't realize it's the same people. 

• Options

imageseblackb:
    My UO is I really don't understand people who are so impatient to find out the sex of their baby (sex, not gender!) that they get an elective ultrasound like 2 or 3 weeks early. Really, you can't wait? I guess it's your money to spend however you want, but I really will never understand this.

Totally agree with this!  But that may be because I'm Team Green :)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagewmorgan003:
    imageKLJ3:
    imagebananers:

THIS! Extra annoying are the ones that say "Add me to team..." or "It's a..." in the subject line, with the added suspense of making you open the post to find out. I just don't open them. I know it's going to say either boy or girl. Now, if anyone here is having a hermaphrodite unicorn, then that might be worth the suspense and anticipation of opening the post.

Hermaphrodite unicorn?!? I want one! Was there a sign up sheet or something? Lol.

This made me laugh too. Now, last night I did dream I gave birth to two beautiful, healthy puppies. Surprise

hahaha all of this is amazing 

• Options
    imagekpaivel:

imageKateRN08:
    imageWifeyProverbs31:
    My UO is that I think women who get their hair and makeup done to give birth are crazy. You are going through one of the toughest things in life, I expect you to be sweaty and messy. I get you want pictures of your newborn, but seriously...makeup?

I fully intend on doing my hair and makeup before visitors see me and the baby. 

I can't think of a good UO right now.

This. When I gave birth to DD, I didn't even let my own parents into the room until my hair and makeup were done. As the single most important day of my life, you can bet there were loads of photos taken so I'm glad I did.

me three. I went in with my hair in a bun and glasses but you better believe that I went all out before people got there. The only people in my world allowed to see me like that are my mom and my H. (and now my kids)

photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    andplusalso my actual UO is that I cant stand the mommy wars. Parenting is serious but no one is giving you a gold star for how soon your baby rolled over or said mama or if you made homemmade marshmellows and sewed your own friggin waldorf doll. NO.ONE.CARES! its just irritating and makes the rest of us feel bad about ourselves.
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagestar510:

Since most of the UOs are pretty popular, to spice things up a little, I searched the depth of my soul for a truly unpopular opinion. I don't like Pinterest. There I said it.

I'm not a terribly creative person, and really I have no desire to become one. But Pinterest makes everyone else seem so much more creative and crafty, which in turn makes me seem even more boring and unoriginal in comparison. I had no fancy photo Facebook announcement with cute pumpkins or shoes, no gender reveal party with balloons popping out of a box. I haven't even thought about what color to paint the nursery or color coordinate the bedding. And chances are I won't throw my kid themed birthday parties with handmade invitations, party gifts, and homemade themed food. Not that there is anything wrong with doing all of that stuff, it just doesn't interest me to do it

Pinterest = online hoarding. I'm sure people on pinterest are making 10% of the crap they pin.  Stupid. And, most of my friends complain that the *** they've tried is either crazy expensive due to te cost of supplies or didn't really work like they thought. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"