C-sections

Spending nights alone in the hospital?

For both of my previous c sections I had someone stay with me in the hospital. DH stayed with me first, but he is such a deep sleeper that he wasn't much help. My mom stayed with my the second time so that DH could be with DS1. She was great, but I think I would rather she take her vacation days to be with us once we are at home. 

Did anyone spend their time in the hospital alone at night? I know the nurses can help me, but it is nice to have someone right there so I don't have to call a nurse just to get DC from the bassinet. I like to room-in with my babies, but I'm not totally against sending them to the nursery. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Spending nights alone in the hospital?

• I did. DH would go home and shower, take care of the dog, and sleep in a real bed, then come back to the hospital first thing in the AM. I figured the nurses are there to help me, and they would bring DS in for his feedings at night. What would DH have done any differently?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • With DS, DH stayed with us the whole time.  With DD I plan on being there by myself, and DH will be home with DS.  Obviously they will come visit us, but I would rather they be home getting some one on one time before we become a family of 4.  My mom offered to stay with us, but like you I would rather she use her vacation time to stay with us once we are home. 
    My cousin just did this last month because her DH only took a week of vacation and they would rather he be home with them instead of at the hospital where you already have help. 
    My only 'fear' is that I will have to fight to keep DD in my room with me.  I don't want her being sent to the nursery, because I want to keep her close and learn her cues ASAP and I don't feel you can do that as well if baby is in the nursery.  Plus the one night we sent DS to the nursery so we could 'sleep' was a joke and they were bringing him in to us every 5 minutes.  We would have been better of keeping him with us. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I did.  DH went home late at night to eat, sleep, and shower.  He would come back in the morning and spend the whole day with us, only leaving to get something to eat.  The nurses would take LO to the nursery at night and just bring him back when he needed to be fed. 

imageimageimage

Anniversary
  • I did and it was fine. They brought the baby in for feedings and I just paged them when he was to be sent back to the nursery. I jmhad originally wanted to room in but this worked really well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Yes, I did all 4 times. Better that way for me and I liked it. I also send my kids to the nursery at night and I EBF. 
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Emotionally, I'd want DH there but he is not a deep sleeper nor do I have other kids at home that he needs to tend to.

Anniversary
  • The hospital doesn't allow others to stay overnight, not even DH. Mine were in the NICU so I didn't have the babies to worry about though. I mean, I worried about them in the NICU but I didn't have to get up to feed them.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • We live 10 mins from where I delivered so MH went home to shower, sleep, etc.  It worked out well and everyone was a better person for it.  He was able to get so much done for me and the baby....we had him 3 weeks early so we weren't quite ready at home.  He took care of all of that.  :p
    Josh + Meagan 06.12.10/Baby J 11.8.12

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • If you don't mind baby going to the nursery, I say it's up to you.  I would just check before you deliver on your hospitals policy.  The policy at my hospital is that an adult has to be with you the first 24 hours if you have a c/s.  If there isn't someone in the room with you, they take the baby to the nursery.  It's because they said mom isn't able to get in and out of bed the first 24 hours like she should.  

Which is understandable.  I can't.  I still need hubby to help me in and out of bed to pee and him lifting baby in and out of the bassinet along with helping change the diapers that first day is just so much easier.  We have arrangements for our other 2 children for the remainder 3 days, but if they start to not to want to stay, then hubbs will go home after the first 24 hours and stay with the kids at night and come back during the day. 

Pregnancy Ticker image image image
  • I was in the hospital 9 days after DS was born (he had pneumonia). DH stayed a few nights, but then went home. He also didn't stay all day with me because we were moving and he had to get stuff done.

I was able to maneuver the bassinett next to my bed, then raise my bed up enough to where I didn't have to get up to get DS out. It took some effort, but it worked for when I was alone.

The nurses were good at coming, too. My hospital didn't have a nursery, so DS had to stay in my room.

•   We only have one and I can't imagine DH not being there the first time.  I had an unplanned c section and had a hard time getting to and from the bathroom from the bed so it was nice to not have to buzz the nurse.  Also our hospital doesn't have a nursery so the babies are in your room so I needed him there for extra support.  

Now that we have a toddler, I probably won't mind him spending part of the time at home.  I will have a repeat c section and would like him there the first night so we will probably have his mom home with our daughter. 

• I stayed at the hospital alone at night with #2 and #3. I was dreading it both times, but it ended up being wonderful. The first night I did rely on the nurses a bit more because I still had a catheter and was stuck in the bed. But after that, it was nice. Alone time with baby:) Our hospital does couplet care, so there was no option to send baby to the nursery. But we managed just fine. GL!
  • I may not be much help, but I would let my son go to the nursery at night and I slept all night.  He was formula fed too.  During the day, my mom (I'm a single mom....LO's dad not involved) would come back to the Hospital and help me out.  
  • With DS1 (vaginal birth) DH stayed the entire time.  When the twins were born (c/s) I sent him home every night to be with DS1.  I wouldn't have done it any differently.  The first night the babies aren't allowed to room-in if you had a c/s and don't have someone staying with you, but there wasn't really a cutoff time that they had to go to the nursery (I think they were in there for a couple of hours max).  I was able to get them out of the bassinet fine, the hardest part for me the entire time was PUSHING the bassinet around, when I walked the halls at night I would have one of the nurses go with me to push the babies.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • I did and I was fine with it.
    photo b6d12d4a-3c41-4686-a0af-8cf854f979e4_zpsffdadc4c.jpg Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I had to with DD3. It didn't go well for me - depression hit in the hospital when I was alone. I think alot of it stimmed from being in so much pain too. Everyone kept telling me 2nd+ CS go easier but mine was worse - much worse. I had a terrible hospital stay and I really want someone staying with me next time.

• Thank you for asking this question.  It has been on my mind a lot lately since we have a 2 year old and my mom hasn't made any specific comments about staying with us.  Until her visit is cleared up I'll just assume that my H will have to go home each night with our son. 

The first time around H stayed every night and helped with the baby.  The one night we sent him to the nursery so we could get some sleep was a joke.  The nurses kept coming in all night to do different checks on me that we should have just had the baby with us.  

• imagemabenner1:
    I did. DH would go home and shower, take care of the dog, and sleep in a real bed, then come back to the hospital first thing in the AM. I figured the nurses are there to help me, and they would bring DS in for his feedings at night. What would DH have done any differently?

This is exactly what we did.  DH went home at night to take care of the dog & get a good nights rest (vs. sleeping on the not comfortable couch & snoring, keeping me awake).  He would come back first thing in the AM.  DS stayed in the nursery at night & the nurses brought him to me when he needed to be fed.  I wouldn't have done it any other way.  Like PP said, what would have DH done differently? 

• I did not last time, but I may this time so that DH can be with DS.  However, I am also considering having my mom stay with me, depending on her schedule and how I feel when the time comes.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
  • I thought I'd send DH home at night for my 2nd c-section, but I didn't.  He would go home every day around about noon and come back at 9pm. 

ds#2 didn't sleep in the hospital and I needed that extra help.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• This is my first c-section, but I'm tentatively planning on having DH stay with me for 2 nights. Maybe just one if things are fine, but here's my NON-c-section experience on why I want him to plan to stay more this time.

DH didn't stay much with our first baby and that worked out okay. Our nurses were great and maybe b/c of birth timing I got more rest before visitors started coming. But with our second baby, DH didn't stay, and I ended up feeling really exhausted and overwhelmed. The nurses were super busy and we had a mean one, and I'd been up late several nights pre-delivery and then up almost all night with the delivery itself and was exhausted. DS was a hard infant right from the start (SWEETEST little guy now!) and was fussy, spitting up/nursing constantly. I wanted DS to room in, but the second night I was so worn out I asked them to take him to the nursery, and got a snotty reaction from the nurse (who also resisted coming in to help me change his first big poopy diaper after his circumcision). She said they were really busy and could only take him for a couple hours. I was SOO tired and sore and I could have just cried. They also kept forgetting to check me and give me meds, and if I had been more drugged or out of it to start with (i.e. like I may be after c-section?) I wouldn't have been able to be my own advocate about getting the right care.

I felt really alone and overwhelmed and I don't want the same thing to happen again.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"