Philadelphia Babies

Pavilion at Pennsylvania Hospital - Is It Worth It?

Has anyone paid to upgrade to the Pavilion at Pennsylvania Hospital (not HUP) for your postpartum recovery? If so, was it worth it? I would also be interested in hearing about your experience.

Re: Pavilion at Pennsylvania Hospital - Is It Worth It?

• Thanks for posting this. On the day of my tour, all of the regular post-partum AND pavilion rooms were full. From what the PP is saying, this sounds like a common occurrence. I know they are renovating/expanding, but this still makes me nervous. 

IVF/ICSI #1 - BFP, DS born Jan 2013
    IVF/ICSI #2 - BFP, DD born Feb 2015
    IVF FET - BFP, due April 2017

• I am going to be delivering my twins at Pennsylvania Hospital in April. I cannot imagine sharing a room with two babies and my husband! If no one minds me asking, how much more is the pavillion?
    TTC since 10/1/10 BFP 1/14/11 MC @ 6w 3d 1/17/11 2 Rounds Clomid 50mg + ovidrel trigger=BFN SA=Normal HSG= tubes clear July 2012 gonal-f and +ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFN August 2012 gonal-f + ovidrel trigger + IUI= BFP!! Beta 8/24 12dpo 166!! Beta#2 8/28 16dpo 942!!! EDD 5/4/13 9/10-First US-TWINS!! 2 beautiful little HB's, 1/3/13 said good-bye to our little boy. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I actually work at Pennsy (not in the OB Pavilion but in the med/surg Pavilion).  I would say its worth the money since they don't offer private rooms otherwise.  But beware, the food is terrible, the kitchen hours are limited, and the other bells and whistles aren't Nything special.  Just know going into it that all you really are paying for is a private room.
  • I made a reservation for the Pavilion yesterday. My stepsister delivered at Pennsy 2 years ago and had the worst experience with her "roommate." The roommate told my sister (warning: this is really gross and graphic) "You're nasty for breastfeeding, I don't want a baby sucking on my tit****." She then had about 3 or 4boyfriends/prospective fathers of the baby visit each day and they were also rude to my sister. She cried a lot and couldn't wait to leave the hospital. That story is reason enough for me to pay $400 (heck, I'd even pay $1000 a night) to get a better chance at having a private room!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DS#2 due 11/9/15

• Yes, a hundred times Yes!! We had a private room and honestly that is worth everything.  As others said the PP ward was also completely full the night I delivered, but we had a reservation and got our room.  There are so many reasons that the Pavillon room was a life saver.  First off privacy- as a pp said going to the bathroom after delivery is not something you want to do in a shared bathroom.  Second if you share a room your hubby won't be able to spend the night and I really would not have liked it if he had to go home and for that matter he wouldn't have either.  We actually had good food, but that is minor- I would pay for the private room over and over again :) Good Luck!

TTC#1 May 2009- July 2010 on our own with no luck

Started with RE in August 2010, dx with unexplained IF and then finally our 3rd IUI cycle using Follistim and Trigger resulted in our wonderful little man.  Born 12/2/11

TTC#2 Never really prevented, but were careful early on as Dr. reccomended

Surprise BFP 12/16/13, started progesterone immediately as first numbers came back low, but betas were good.  Progesterone wasnt enough. Natural MC 12/24/13.

Back with RE as of January 2014...

5/27/14- Chemical Pregnancy :(

April 2015 IVF#1

5/13/15- BFP, please stick LO!

Oh and I'm a major Harry Potter Nerd :)

Silly mugglesimage

• imageCanale2011:
    Just know going into it that all you really are paying for is a private room.

Yes. Exactly. Many of my doula clients have chosen not to pay for the pavilion in hopes they'd luck out and get a private room...and regretted it. I can say that I've been there many times just this year alone and NONE of my clients have ever been alone. Maybe it happens once in a while, I just haven't heard anything like that except for maybe a couple hours. Sharing a room can be so hard, and you just don't know what to anticipate with birth and post partum...or strangers! Not everyone can get in or afford it, but my clients who have said it was well worth it to have the privacy. 

Lori ~ mom to 2 boys, wife, doula, and childbirth educator - www.delcodoula.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"