Natural Birth

My not so natural birth, but a thank you for all your wisdom...

First off, my natural birth, did not happen as planned, at all, but I wanted to post my experience here for two reasons: one, to thank all of you for keeping me informed and feeling "in control" when I felt like I was losing any bit on control I had; and two, in case others may learn from my experience. LONG story.

At 36 weeks 5 days I was sent to the hospital for early induction for low fluid. After speaking with the doctor on call and receiving iv fluids and drinking a lot of fluid, I talked them into releasing me on bed rest and increasing my fluids. Every two days I would go back for monitoring. I was drinking over 200 oz of water a day in addition to other liquids. The following week my doctor was still alarmed my fluids were on the low side of normal. For three and a half week I would go in for daily, then reduced to thrice weekly NST and AFI testing.

I was told that no matter what at 41 weeks I would be induced; however at 40 wks 3 days although my NST appeared good, my fluids had dropped from an 8 to a 4 in two days. U/S confirmed my placenta showed calcification and no matter how much fluid I drank, the baby needed to come out. 

After checking into the hospital I was honest with the midwife about my desire for natural, or as natural a birth as we could do at this point. After weighing all the options, I was only 1 1/2 cm dilated and 50% effaced with baby at -3. I knew my odds weren't excellent for successful induction. Her suggestion was to use Cytotec. I had heard all the pros and cons on here regarding that drug and was skeptical, but knowing it was probably the most effective method that still allowed me to move around, and not be strapped to an IV, I consented to the lowest dose, being monitored once every hour and a half because I trusted the midwife I was working with and her experience. After four hours they would dose me again. However, after four hours, I was contracting too heavily for another dose so we walked an additional 4 hrs and at 8 hrs, the contractions were still too strong to dose again.

Instead of pit right away, we opted now to do a balloon and hope this would ripen and further dilate the cervix. This would be in place for 12 hrs. After six hours, they were pressuring me to start pitocin. I avoided it as long as I could be asking for breakfast, to go for a walk, to shower, etc I spoke with the midwife and she strongly urged me to start the pitocin to avoid c section down the road for lack of progression. We stated on a small dose and I was promised they would see if my body responded and could be taken off the medication as we went. I was told they wouldn't up the dose without my consent.

When the balloon was removed they broke my water. I knew I was "on the clock" for a hospital birth within 24 hrs. At this time, the shift change was not informed of my desire to be notified about the meds, because the pit was tripled in strength. After five hours of horrifying contracting (between the suddenly increased dose and breaking of water) the nursing staff finally stopped the meds because my body "could not handle it." She was alarmed the contractions were coming steadily at 60-75 seconds and lasting 60 seconds long. I was to get 20 minutes of reprieve before starting again. I asked to be checked because the baby's heart rate was already slowing and my blood pressure kept dropping sounding their alarms. 

I had not dilated at all in that five hour period. After lurking long enough on this board, I feared all the interventions would result in a c-section since I was still at 4 cm so I asked for the epidural after 28 hours of labor in hopes my body would relax enough to dilate on it's own and at least have a vaginal birth. And it did!! Within four hours I dilated fully. They were shocked when I told them I felt the pressure and urge to push to see I was in fact dilated. I'd stopped the epi meds and 30 minutes of pushing later, our angel arrived on Thanksgiving night. 

My birth experience was not my ideal, and although I keep rehashing and rethinking everything I could have done differently, I want to thank all of you for making me think logically every step of the way. It helped me to feel as though I was maintaining SOME control of my birth experience.  My baby arrived safely and that is all that counts in the long run. I still plan to lurk, and hopefully, have a more positive and natural experience the next go round, but for now, thank you all.  

Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries

Re: My not so natural birth, but a thank you for all your wisdom...

• Congratulations on your new precious baby! I'm sorry things didn't go as you'd hoped. I had a similar experience the first time, and it took quite awhile for me to grieve the experience I didn't have.
    Hilary
    imageimage
    imageimage
  • Congratulations on your healthy baby!  I'm sorry that you did not get the birth you wanted, but you're absolutely right, it is not the most important thing.  The birth is one day, the baby is for the rest of your life!  I read your whole story and I think you made the best decisions for you and your baby.  I would have done the same.  Congrats again and welcome to motherhood!
    Reichley Mama
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations on your baby!

I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you had hoped for, but it sounds like you did a great job advocating for yourself and negotiating through what was, I'm sure, a stressful time. 

Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Congrats on your little one! I read your story and I honestly don't think there is anything you could do or should have done differently. I'm so happy you got to have a vaginal birth in the end! It sounds like it was a rough ride. Now you get to just enjoy your wonderful baby. Congratulations!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congrats!  Sometimes things do not go according to plan but that is OK. You have a happy, healthy LO and that is the most important thing. 
  • imageoliversmommy32912:
    Congrats on your little one! I read your story and I honestly don't think there is anything you could do or should have done differently. I'm so happy you got to have a vaginal birth in the end! It sounds like it was a rough ride. Now you get to just enjoy your wonderful baby. Congratulations!

This! It sounds like you did a wonderful job advocating for yourself and your baby and made the best decisions with the most info possible. I think you should be really proud of yourself for that!

#3 Due April 2016
  • Congrats on your baby and thanks for sharing your story!  I'm sorry things didn't go according to plan but I think you did a great job of advocating for yourself and baby.  And your story is the perfect example of a situation when the epidural works with mama instead of against her allowing for a vaginal delivery - no shame in that!!
  • You did great thinking about each step on the way!  I think that's all you can do going into an induction like you did.  Being educated helps so much knowing all your options.  Congrats on your little one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Way to go and congratulations on your new healthy baby!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"