Natural Birth

Labor Food/Drink Suggestions???

I'm having a birth center birth and we need to bring food and drinks for ourselves and the birth team for during our labor and a filling meal for after the birth.

My birth assistant said that almost everyone brings a frozen lasagna...so I'd rather come up with something different, but I'm having trouble thinking of things we can prepare in advance and freeze. Anyone have any good suggestions or recipes?

Snack and drink suggestions needed, as well! I've heard coconut water is good, but I'm not crazy about the taste of the kinds that I've tried. What brands do you ladies like?

Thanks!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Labor Food/Drink Suggestions???

• Our midwife practice suggested the following for eating and drinking during labour:

"remember that during  per-labour your body is temporarily unable to digest fats and proteins.  Your uterus needs a large and steady supply of simple carbohydrates in order to function effectively during labour."

labour-aide natural energy drink:

1/3 cup lemon juice

1/3 cup honey

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 tsp liquid ccalcium

blend together with 7 cups water 

WHAT TO EAT:

Pre-labour - latent phase

Cereal with milk and sugar; hot milk with honey to aid sleep; toast with honey or jam; yogurt with fruit, honey or jam; light nourishing soup with bread.  

"you may feel nervous, and not be inclined to eat. SLOW DOWN.  for most women, labour is a  marathon, not a sprint.  EAT NOW."

Early, active labour:

popsicles

jello

any pre-labour foods listed above eat and drink small amounts regularly.

Active labour:

"drink 6-8oz per hour. you may to feel like eating, though you may if you want to.  You do need to drink."

hope this is helpful.   I've had a couple bottles of ore-made labour-aide in my fridge for the past week or so.

• I didn't have the option of real food in labor(hospital with the last three) I didn't eat much in labor.  But for afterwards I always get a banana, whatever meal of the day it is(normally breakfast) french toast on whole wheat bread with fruit, and a warm cereal like cream of wheat.  The french toast could be frozen and the cereal is easy to make in a microwave.  I'm sure there are some other ladies who will give you some great ideas.  We are planning on making a few days worth of meals and freezing them.  Maybe check out pinterest and see what frozen meal ideas they have on there.  Hope you find something you like!
  • Loading the player...
  • I subsisted almost exclusively on Naked Juice, specifically protein zone mango. That stuff is like a meal in a bottle.
  • I just suggest you stay away from colored Gatorade.  I had blue and I don't think I'll ever be able to drink it again... I know my DH won't!  :)

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• This is perfect. So helpful! Thank you!
  • I made and froze a big chicken pot pie and brought it to our birth center for everyone. For my "labor aid" I made up a big batch (about 2 gallons) of watered down apple juice (to mimic Gatorade) and added coconut water and RRL tea and sipped on it throughout labor, it was nice to have something besides plain water. This time I'll do the same, but add liquid calcium and magnesium since both are supposed to help with coping with surges. Also, this time around I want to make a big Thanksgiving casserole LOL, Thanksgiving food is my favorite and I think that will be an awesome post labor meal.
    252855_10150214241312114_262494087113_7012916_3895481_n-2Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker Siggy check.
  • Along with juices..during labor I would suggest oatmeal and bananas--they taste the same coming back up in case you get sick, which is likely.
  • imagebornmommy:
    I just suggest you stay away from colored Gatorade.  I had blue and I don't think I'll ever be able to drink it again... I know my DH won't!  :)

This.  Just the thought of orange gatorade makes me nauseous.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • I drank apple juice during my second labor and it helped keep me going during a long pushing phase (first was in the hospital so I was restricted to ice chips, such BS).

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've heard honey sticks are great for during labor when you need to keep your strength up!
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"