Oregon Babies

Portland Hospital or Birthing Center experiences

We're expecting our first and have no doctor or midwife picked out- we are just doing research on what options are out there. So far I am looking at OHSU, Providence, Alma Midwifery.... but I really would love to hear opinions. Anybody have thoughts to share on their hospital experiences or recommendations for a birthing center?

Re: Portland Hospital or Birthing Center experiences

• I delivered at Kaiser Sunnyside, which is not one of the ones you mentioned, but I thought I would mention that I had a great experience there. They have a soaking tub and exercise balls which were relaxing.
  • I agree with the previous poster.  I had a fabulous experience at Kaiser Sunnyside.  Their new west side hospital is due to open fairly soon, but probably not in time for your delivery.  
  • Loading the player...
  • I just looked it up and the new facility (Kaiser Westside) is due to open in August.  You could be one of the first to deliver there!  I'm sure it will be a gorgeous facility.  
  • Yes, I am hoping we will be able to deliver at the new hospital in Hillsboro!
  • I delivered both of my girls at Providence St. Vincents and had great experiences both times.  I've seen Dr. Damon Warhus at Women's Healthcare Associates for 6 years now and would recommend WHA any day! They have amazing ob's and midwives!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageanvloveskme:
    Yes, I am hoping we will be able to deliver at the new hospital in Hillsboro!

Yay! You're pregnant!! Congrats :)  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for your input ladies. I will definitely look into Kaiser and the new hospital!
  • imagejoleine:

imageanvloveskme:
    Yes, I am hoping we will be able to deliver at the new hospital in Hillsboro!

Yay! You're pregnant!! Congrats :)  

Thanks!  It's a secret in real life :) our first appt isn't until 1/7/13...I might die from the wait  

• I had delivered my son at St.Vincent's and was so happy with the staff. We will be going there again in January to deliver my daughter.  I also have Helen Welch as my midwife from Women's Healthcare and Associates and LOVE LOVE LOVE her!!!  As in I cried when I left because she is soo amazing. :) I would highly recommend her to anyone.  We also considered a birth center and I have heard that you want to stick with Alma and that Andaluz has a bad rep.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Oh and btw, I have heard GREAT things about delivering at OHSU and if you are interested in it, they are one of the two hospitals in Portland where you can have a water birth :) I would do OHSU if we could for the water birth. Plus the have doulas available.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Found this comparison chart in my searches, thought I'd share! 

https://oregonianextra.com/olive-specials/hospitals/comparison.html

• That link was very helpful for me! I still newish to the area and I didn't even know all these hospitals existed. Thank you so very much!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • imagejoleine:
    I delivered both of my girls at Providence St. Vincents and had great experiences both times.  I've seen Dr. Damon Warhus at Women's Healthcare Associates for 6 years now and would recommend WHA any day! They have amazing ob's and midwives!

I also go to WHA and LOVE my doctor there. (Dr. Shirley Fox) Everyone is really nice and helpful. I haven't delivered yet, but I got a "preview" of the hospital experience this week. Had to be admitted to St. V's for monitoring. I had signs of pre-eclampsia, and they wanted to watch my baby's heart. Thankfully, everything turned out well. The nurses at the hospital were, for the most part, super nice and took very good care of me. I know who to ask for, if I have any choice in the matter, and I feel a little more comfortable knowing I only have a few more weeks until I'm back there to deliver. 

• I delivered at OHSU with the Midwives and had a wonderful birth experience. Seriously, it was absolutely amazing, but it was a whirlwind and I got super lucky to be able to deliver with my actual midwife, who happened to be on call that day. The nurses were awesome and my DH and I think we had the perfect birth experience.

The post-partum floor was not as wonderful, but not bad. I think part of it is because I am a pediatric nurse and most of my nurses assumed I knew what I was doing - which is kind of true, but it's a whole new ball game when the child I'm taking care of is my own for the very first time!

My suggestion if you do go to OHSU (or anywhere, really) would be to strongly advocate for yourself and your baby. And, make your appointments well in advance and keep them, because rescheduling is a pain in the butt!

Anniversary g
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • i went to alma midwifery and loooooved it. i am posting  from my phone and i cant use symbols or capitals in this text box. my midwives were so encouraging and knowledgeable. the rooms were so comfy and homelike and the in house doulas were the best. i wouldnt trade my experience for anything. we looked into andaluz but it didnt seem to be for us. the midwives at alma seemed much more personable. 
  • Congratulations! I'm actually due the same date as you are!!! This will be our first baby :)

We narrowed our choices down to three facilities that welcomed water birth... OHSU midwifery, Free standing birth centers such as Alma, and Providence Mt Hood in Gresham. After interviewing Alma, we immediately knew that this is where I needed to be. 

Ultimately, it depends on what you are expecting in terms of care and what your birth goals are. We want a low intervention, natural birth with water birthing available. We also wanted our pregnancy to be treated that its a normal life process and not as a patient. I dont want to have to fight or advocate for myself . And I truely believe we are getting a very high level of personalized care and starting to build a solid trusting relationships with my midwife. 

My ONLY experience with OHSU was with their scheduling. I really wanted to do their "get to know you" interview appointments. But they couldn't even get me in until February, I called for this appointment the beginning of December! I would of been 15-16 weeks!! And the same was for their midwifery appointments. I ultimately had to cancel due to work and their next available window was for two weeks later! Obviously this put a bad taste in my mouth. Although one could argue that being busy isn't a bad sign, but I felt a tad ignored/neglected. 

Alma worked with my schedule, and got me in a week later. They had a doula tour guide who walked me around their amazing facilities. And then my midwife spent over an hour answering every single question I had for her, unpaid! 

Anyway, I could go on. Go interview Alma, and see if they will be a good fit for your needs.  

• I delivered at Providence off 47th and Glisan. My OB was Doctor Rosenburg and Im still going to him for my second one. When you deliver at Providence after your discharged your signed up for a free new moms group every friday at the hospital for babies newborn to 6 months. It's pretty amazing. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had my first at Good Sam in NW Portland. GREAT EXPERIENCE! 

the one thing thats different that every other hospital... they dont shuffle you to a shoebox sized room after you deliver.  you stay in the same luxurious room the entire time. its nice to be settled and not have to move half way thru your stay. i know st v, emanuel and kaiser all make you move. 

Also, if you're looking for a provider i would highly recommend Northwest Womens Clinic. they have two locations. great group that offers both Dr's and midwives. they are also able to deliver at many of the area hospitals.

hope this helps! good luck and congrats! 

• I'd be curious to hear why Andaluz has a bad reputation? I have three girlfriends who have all had multiple births there, and now that I'm a ftm, I'm excited and comfortable with Andaluz. Certainly it's each family's preference, but maybe consider sharing a few facts before discounting a place?
  • Andaluz certainly does NOT have a bad reputation; in fact, quite the opposite. It is an excellent facility. I absolutely love it--the midwives are professional, compassionate, and personable, not to mention extremely good at their jobs. I switched health insurance from an HMO specifically to deliver my baby there. I highly recommend it.
  • Providence St. Vincents is where I had my daughter 3 and a half years ago and my son 2 years ago .

Had my 1st child 13 years ago at legacy good Samaritan and it was nice.

my second was born in Tampa general and that wasn't such a good experience  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"