International Bumpies

US Stroller in Canada

I'm aware of the restrictions for bringing a US stroller into Canada, but am considering breaking the rules.  Have any CAnadians done this? Ever had any issues? Any tips I should know?  (I'm not concerned about getting it across the border or anything, my BIL could bring it up with his kids.)
*** DS born February 21, 2013 - Toronto, Canada  ***
imageimage

Re: US Stroller in Canada

• Are you driving it across the border?  I have never heard of a stroller being an issue. I know we traveled with one to visit family in Canada when we lived in the States and it was not an issue.  
  • There are products that should not be purchased outside of Canada (I don't have the link nearby) - these include Car Seats, Strollers, Pack n Plays, Cribs, Hockey Helmets (NBR).  I understand our safety requirements are more strict in Canada.

There are even products that are banned in Canada - walkers.

And yes, we (or my my BIL) would drive it across the border; this is not the part I'm concerned about, more the day to day after the fact... 

imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think police are going to be well versed in US vs Canadian strollers and won't be on the lookout for rogue American strollers being used in Canada. I am sure you will be fine :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Your only difficulty will be if you want accessories for it that aren't available in Canada or if you want to use the manufacturer or store warranty for replacement or repair.

I bought the UPPA Baby Vista in the US before it was available in Canada. My only issue was that when I needed to get the wheels replaced I had to get them sent to a US address because it was under US warranty. NBD, just sent it to a friend in the US and they brought it up for me when they were visiting.

• imagebandwife:

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Your only difficulty will be if you want accessories for it that aren't available in Canada or if you want to use the manufacturer or store warranty for replacement or repair.

I bought the UPPA Baby Vista in the US before it was available in Canada. My only issue was that when I needed to get the wheels replaced I had to get them sent to a US address because it was under US warranty. NBD, just sent it to a friend in the US and they brought it up for me when they were visiting.

Great - thanks.  I live less than an hour from the border... and my DH's brother, mom, aunts/uncles live nearby in the US. 

imageimage
  • I am more than positive that I have replied before, it's not illegal to import strollers into Canada. I posted the link as well, clearly showing that they are fine, as long as they meet Canadian standards (I also posted the link for that too). I personally can't think of one that isn't compliant that is available in the US. You can even have them shipped to Canada via US retailers if they have international shipping. I did look at getting an iCandy from the US as it was a smoking deal, and tried to get the stroller we have now off Gilt, it was a great deal, but they sold out. It's car seats that you can't import ( and walkers).

EtA: if it wasn't you that I gave the links to, I can get those as well. Cribs and playpens can be imported as well, cribs can be a pita though. 

• Carseats you have to worry about but there are no rules around strollers as far as I know....

Google transport Canada if you wanna double check but I'm pretty sure.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I brought a stoller/carseat over. They never said anything at the border and didn't actually know it was illegal to use the carseat until well into DS using it. I kept using it personally because the exact same one was being sold at Walmart here, just 200 more expensive. I know lots of people wouldn't do it though. Not sure how that works with insurance... Got a new convertible carseat at 2 months because DS was huge anyway.
  • I moved to Canada from the US when I was pregnant with DS.  My parents bought us a very nice travel system (infant carseat/stroller) from the US and brought it to us as a baby shower gift, and we were using it several months before I even found out the there is a car seat restriction here.  I continued using the carseat until DS outgrew it.  I have seen the exact same system here in Canada (for about 100 bucks more) and I'm not about to waste a perfectly good, safe carseat and stroller just because it doesn't have a stamp.

Nobody has ever batted an eye at our seat or stroller in the almost year and a half we used them.  That covers multiple border crossings, flights, and general zipping all over the place.

And agree with PPs, the restriction seems to only be on carseats, not strollers.

Visit The Nest! Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"