Preemies
Options

Becoming a NICU nurse?

Anyone go from being a NICU mom to a NICU nurse? often I get an urge to go back to school to become a nurse and after this whole experience I specifically would like to work in the NICU. The nurses in my case made the whole terrible experience bearable and I'd love to help others in the same way. But I'm wondering if having prior experience in the NICU would hurt or help me in a job situation?

Anyone else have these same feelings and go through with it? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Becoming a NICU nurse?

• Options

That's really funny you say that.  I am an attorney, but with my son in the NICU a full month, I did a little soul searching, sitting in that chair next to his crib (what am I doing with my life professionally, life is too short and precious, etc.).  Ironically, I got laid off and then had a really hard time finding work about 4 months later, and was out of work another year.  Long story short, I seriously considered nursing school but got another job in the meantime. 

The other area (other than NICU) that I was interested in was maternity...so I've decided that eventually (probably once all my children are in grade school) I will become a certified doula. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've been a nurse for 6 years (not NICU) and my mom has been a NICU nurse for 30 years.  Having grandbabies in the NICU was the first time she was on "the other side".  I have thought about doing NICU in the future but honestly I just don't think I could do it any time soon.  I think my own experiences and emotions would be too difficult right now plus I'm a little uneasy around critcally sick children.  Being a nurse is tough and I admire anyone who can do the NICU.  I would like to one day do antepartum or maybe L&D.  I was in the hospital for a month on antepartum and I have prior experience in postpartum.  I think I like the mommy side better than the baby side!  Even if you go through nursing school and find the NICU is not for you, there are so many different areas of nursing that you can explore.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Not for me, but one of our favorite NICU nurses made that career change after she was the mom of 2 preemies. I think her understanding what it was like on our side was why she was so great.
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Options

When my DD was in the NICU, the BEST nurse that took care of her.. and me for that matter.. had been a previous NICU mom. It has been over 10 years  since her baby was born but she said that is what makes her able to relate and understand the moms so well.

• Options
    I have seriously considered it. Before the twins were born, I wasn't really happy with my career and was trying to figure out what I wanted to do. After spending so many months in the hospital and getting a crash course in nursing/medical info I have felt like I should go back to school and become a NICU nurse. The only hesitation I have is that I am not sure how I would handle babies that don't make it. During my stay in the NICU, I knew of a few that didn't survive and each time I had a hard time dealing with it. We'll see...maybe as I get further away from my own NICU experience I may become better able to deal with those situations ?!
  • Options
    I actually mentioned this to H when we were living the NICU life. I then realized that I was way too emotional and get attached easily. That wouldn't make me the best NICU nurse. That and I can't stand blood or other bodily fluids. It's funny reading all the responses and seeing how many others want to return the favors their NICU nurses did for them. There are some incredible NICU nurses that have had quite the impact!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I went back to school after my son was born and I am just finishing my first year or nursing school with the goal of eventually being a NICU nurse. I only have 8 months left!!!!!! My DD's time in the NICU is what inspired me to go back to school. I did my NICU rotation last semester and LOVED it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"