2nd Trimester

NT Scan/Blood - Positive

I know that there are people out there who have it worse than me, and asking "why me" is pathetic, but I can't help but wonder when my husband and I will catch a break. 3 IVF cycles, two miscarriages, and finally a pregnancy that made it past 12 weeks (started as a twin pregnancy, but found out that we lost one twin between 6-8 weeks).

My husband and I decided to do the NT scan and blood work to test for Trisonomy and Downs. The scan went great - Doctors said everything looked totally normal: 1.5cm and clear presence of a nasal bone. After that I appt, I finally started to feel some confidence in this pregnancy - I even told some people I was pregnant. Well, a week later we get our blood results and were told we have a 1/156 chance of our baby having Downs. I understand that is less than 1%, but I just can't take anymore bad news this year. My PAPP-A was .73 and my HcG was 3.3 which is what caused the positive results. We opted for the $250 Maternity 21 test but it takes 10 days for results (a week from yesterday). I I know no one can tell me everything will be OK, but has anyone else gone through this with positive or negative outcomes? I cannot believe I have to wait another week for the results - everything about this pregnancy has been a wait - this is the worst.

TTC Since January 2011 Clomid - 3 cycles - BFN IVF Cycle #1 - 27 eggs, 0 fertilized - cycle cancelled ICSI Cycle #2 - 18 eggs, 16 fertilized - BFP (miscarriage at 5 weeks) FET Cycle #3 - transferred 2 - BFP - TWINS! (lost one twin at 8 weeks)

Re: NT Scan/Blood - Positive

• I hope you get some better news from the MT21 test. We had it done, too, and FWIW our results were back in a week, not 10 days. There's no hurt in calling to ask if they got them in early.

I know those kinds of odds are scary, but things are still in your favor. Don't give up hope, yet.

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • I have a good feeling that everything will be fine for you if that is worth anything.  Usually when the OB says everything looks good in the scan, it is.  Remember that the bloodwork that goes along with the NT scan only tells you that you have an increased chance that the baby has Downs.  FWIW I only waited 3-4 business days for my MaterniT21 results.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had a very similar experience. This is IVF #3 for us, two miscarriages and the first pregnancy to make it this far. I opted for all testing given our circumstances. I was told I have low PAPP-A from the NT scan but my downs testing was still pretty high but under 1/1000 so they recommended the quad screening. We did that and then my odds tanked instead of going above 1000. An amnio was out of the question for us so we did the m21 test. It was a long week to wait but we got results the morning of our anatomy scan and everything is negative. I have read some info that low papp-a can cause false positives in the bloodwork, but the genetic counselor never told me that. It is entirely possible this is a false positive. Hang in there, I know how rough it is. Please PM if you need to talk! Hugs!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I took the M21 test and got my results back in 6 days. I hope that you get them back quickly, and that all is well with your baby. I know it's hard, but try to be positive. Sending positive vibes, thoughts and prayers your way :) 
  • I did wait the 10 days and our odds were 1:43 - results were negative.  I know it's nerve wracking but keep in mind the odds are in your favor.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I had worse odds than you 1:120 which for my age was bad because it should have been better but I didn't worry because I had a 99.2% chance of having a perfectly normal baby.  I did the maternity21 test and got 1:10,000 results.  I only did that test because my doctor strongly recommended it and my insurance covered it.  Then at my anatomy scan the baby was measuring small and has a single artery umbilical cord, both markers for genetic disorders so we just went ahead and did the amnio and it was the best decision I made because we got good results and now whenever I go back for my monthly growth scans the doctors aren't telling me about all the scary things that can happen.  I know 1/156 may seem like high results but look at it this way, you have 99.4% chance of having a healthy baby, the odds are in your favor here.  Don't stress out if you can.  Good Luck!!!  I'm sure everything will be fine.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I know it's easier said than done to tell you to try and stay positive.  My doctor sent me to a maternal fetal doctor last month just telling me there was something on my blood work he wanted to clear up.  When I went in for the ultrasound I had no idea they were checking for Downs markers.  I was floored and had a breakdown in the office.  Apparently my blood work put me at a 1/258 chance of having a Downs baby.  After the ultrasound, they moved me up to 1/532 and saw 0 markers.  The only other option given to me was to do an amnio.  I was too nervous as I had a miscarriage earlier this year.  So, I can't speak for the other tests but I know somewhat what you are going through. 

Big hugs to you.

image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • First, let me say that I am sorry that you are going through this, it does suck.

We did the scan and blood work as well and got positive results with the first blood draw - 1:65. After the 2nd blood draw it went to 1:400, the Dr said it was because of low PAPP-A hormone levels (.2) - so now I'm being monitored as my placenta MAY not do it's job properly as the pregnancy goes on. 

I know it's difficult to not worry, but try not to. It's not healthy for you or baby, and I honestly believe that positive thoughts go a long way.

GL, I'm sure everything will be fine and you'll be holding your LO in no time! 

married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• My mom was told that my sister most likely had downs.

Today she's a very bright, outgoing teenager who has even skipped a grade in school. Try not to worry.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thank you all for the kind words. These boards have really been there for me the past couple of years. It is so nice to hear from people who know what I am going through. This isn't something I am vocal about, so it helps to have an outlet.

I am trying to stay positive - the scary thing for me is that someone needs to be the "1" and all 156 of us in this hypothetical group have the same less than 1% chance. 

I hope my results come in a bit early - so jealous some of you only waited a week! Maybe I will call Monday afternoon just to check in.

When these results come back negative - I plan to really start to enjoy this pregnancy. The tech the other day said she's 90% sure it's a boy - I just want the best for my baby. :)

TTC Since January 2011 Clomid - 3 cycles - BFN IVF Cycle #1 - 27 eggs, 0 fertilized - cycle cancelled ICSI Cycle #2 - 18 eggs, 16 fertilized - BFP (miscarriage at 5 weeks) FET Cycle #3 - transferred 2 - BFP - TWINS! (lost one twin at 8 weeks)
  • The way the doctor and genetics counselor explained the 1:156 to me is that if you were pregnant 156 times only 1 of those babies would have downs. 
    image Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"