Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Neb med question

Is budesonide the same as albuterol? Pedi prescribed DS with albuterol today, but told me to use any leftover rx's first he's been on a neb a few times over the last few years, but not in over 8 months. I still have a box of xopenex and budesonide which I think is pulmicort but can't quite tell by the box. For now I'm just using the new rx until I can call the pedi and sort out what is what.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Neb med question

• Options
    No, it's not pulmicort is an inhaled steroid, albuterol is a bronchodilator. What is your son being given these meds for? I may be able to help you decide which to use. 
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options
    Wheezing and a bad cough. He had RSV as a baby and goes through bad breathing and congestion spells throughout the fall and winter. He was on antibiotics last week for a sinus infection, but I swear the antibiotics just made things worse... Everything isn't as yellow and green, but seems more in his chest now.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, pedi also prescribed prednisone for 5 days to help clear things out.
  • Options
    Ok, Pulmicort is a maintenance drug. It will help prevent inflammation on the long term, but won't necessarily open his airways right away. I would use the xoponex first if your pedi recommends you use the other drugs before opening the new. Xoponex is a bronchodilator like albuterol, but doesn't have all the cardiac effects. 
  • Options
    imagesaturdaynightdoubletree:
    Oh, pedi also prescribed prednisone for 5 days to help clear things out.
    ok, yea, definitely don't bother with the pulmicort then, the predinisone is stronger. 
  • Options
    Thanks so much!!! I used to feel like I knew all this like the back of my hand, but luckily we have been healthy and medfree in this house for a little while, and definitely lost my knowledge.
  • Options
    Thanks so much!!! I used to feel like I knew all this like the back of my hand, but luckily we have been healthy and medfree in this house for a little while, and definitely lost my knowledge.
    lol I'm in school to be a Respiratory Therapist so I'm a wealth of info in this department. Good luck!
  • Options

imageJ+MS:
    lol I'm in school to be a Respiratory Therapist so I'm a wealth of info in this department. Good luck!

Both of my girls had RSV at about four months. The older one gets regular illnesses, nothing crazy (she is in daycare, so I don't pay attention to anything that isn't fever or vomiting). The 8 mo has a chronic rattle in her chest. Sounds like she needs to clear her throat really well, and it would be fine. Ped. said at 4 months she might have acid reflux, but that she would probably grow out of it around six months. No breathing issues, except for the nasty bout with RSV that ended up in bronchiolitis. My question is: Because of the RSV at such a young age, is there an increased risk in breathing difficulties later on, like asthma?? I hated the albuterol treatments. They turned my sweet baby into a monster who refused to eat or sleep.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"