Pregnant after 35

OB appt. and extra monitoring question

I had my monthly appointment today and everything was good.  He did say that during the last 2 months I will have to have twice weekly ultrasounds to monitor the placenta.  This is for being over 35.  He said that they do this to make sure the blood flow to the placenta is adequate.  Apparently when you are older the blood vessels can stop working properly.  Is anyone else having this?  I guess I'm glad to be monitored closely but that will be kind of annoying with taking off work.  They do saturday appoinments also for this so that will help. 
TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13

Re: OB appt. and extra monitoring question

• I am having monthly ultrasounds to monitor the blood flow to the placenta.  He would not do it just because I am over 35 but since I am having pre-e symptoms, I have them.  I really love seeing my girl more often but it is eating away at my leave.  My office doesn't care but I want to save up as much leave as possible.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • My dr. office is wanting to do the same with me after about 28weeks. I am 25 weeks now.  I also am glad that they will be monitoring me and the baby closely but also annoyed with taking off work so much. I'm not going to be able to accumulate time as I thought I would be. Plus my carpal tunnel is flared up so much that I am leaving early 3x/wk to go to physical therapy right now. My office does not offer Sat appt. and nothing later than 4.
  • Loading the player...
  • I was AMA with my first and I didn't have the extra monitoring of the placenta, but recommendations may have changed since then.  I know it is a risk for older moms so I wouldn't mind the monitoring if it was advised for me this time. But I hear ya about the inconvenience.
    Me: 38, PCOS/ DH: 37

DD born 12.21.09, conceived w/ injects and IUI

TTC#2 since Nov 2011

BFP 2.6.12 m/c 6w5d | BFP 5.25.12 c/p

-Back to the RE-

3 medicated IUIs, all BFN

-Taking a break from treatment-

BFP 11.20.12 ~ EDD 7.28.13

image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

My Chart
  • Wow that stinks.  I guess its what we get for being "old" moms.  I hate to use up my time off for this too but it is what it is.  Good luck to you!

ETA:  oops I meant to quote Katie

• I haven't been told to expect this yet but who knows, maybe i'll ask at my next appt. My sister just delivered at 42 and she didn't have to do any extra monitoring, twice a week seems like alot!
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I am AMA and only have to go for weekly Non Stress Tests at this point.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I was over 35 with my 1st child and didn't have any extra monitoring done.  I also haven't been told I will get any with this one, even though I had pre-e with the last pregnancy.  

That kind of monitoring sounds excessive unless there's a problem (like pre-e).  You might want to check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover it too.  I don't think it's standard practice most places and so they may not want to pay for it. 

Me - 38 DH - 38 DD - 2 pregnancy
  • My OB hasn't mentioned that at all.  I am just doing regular visits every 2 weeks until 36 weeks and then once a week until delivery.  No extra ultrasounds though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Huh. Placenta monitoring has not been mentioned to me. I hope my OB is not planning to spring it on me unawares. So far I have said I do not want to be induced and she said we might have to do some non stress testing and amniotic fluid level checks if we start heading for 41 weeks.
    Over-40 parents...what we lack in vigor, we make up for with cunning.
  • I was over 35 with my daughter and had to have monthly vaginal ultrasounds, but was monitored that way because I delivered my son prematurely.  Not sure of the reason they gave you: hadn't heard that before.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies. This does seem excessive to me too. My ob wasn't happy about it and he even said its annoying. It made me think its some policy thing. I will try to get more info about it next time.
  • I am now onto weekly ultrasounds until I deliver but that is because my blood pressure continues to rise.  Twice a week seems like a really weird policy.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • My doctor's office hasn't said that they will require extra us since I'm older, but I'm just over 15 weeks.  They generally don't tell me alot at once, because I think they don't want to worry me.  I am seeing a peri too at the nearest hospital.  So far, I'm fine and the baby is too.
  • I have been told I will have extra monitoring bc I am over 35 as well, GD. I am going for monthly US now and was told once I'm closer to my DD I will have biweekly to keep and eye on my amniotic fluids.
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was 36 when I was pregnant with No. 1 and will be 39 when No.2 is born, and no one has suggested any extra monitoring or ultrasounds for me.  They just do the fetal heartrate monitor at monthly appointments (so far).  Maybe the extra tests are indicated because of where the palcenta attached?
    Son #1 is already 2! Not too much longer until Son No.2 arrives! Lilypie Maternity tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"