Natural Birth
Options

Have you used a Doula?

Ladies,

I posted this originally on the 2nd trimester board, but I was told to post it here as well.  I am thinking about getting a doula, as this is my first pregnancy and I'm a little apprehensive about the labor/delivery.  Those of you who have used a doula could you please share your experiences with me? Was it worth it? Why did you choose a doula? 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Have you used a Doula?

• Options

I loved having a doula. She was our most expensive baby item and 100% worth it. She made my husband a rock star - all he had to do was whatever she suggested. She stayed with me in the moments he couldn't (parking the car, etc). She gave us both the confidence to have me labour at home and helped us know when to go to the hospital. Overall, she just made it a much less stressful day.

She also checked on me in the hospital and at home to make sure breastfeeding was going well.

• Options

I had a doula and she was worth every penny we paid her. My DH and I took the Bradley classes to prepare for L&D but we also wanted a doula there with us as we were first time parents. We interviewed several doulas and went with the one that we felt most comfortable with. She was amazing and having her at my delivery made a huge difference.  I had an anterior placenta and was worried my LO would be OP.  She helped me get into positions that would help my LO be in a more favorable position for delivery.  She helped keep me positive and told me how great I was doing throughout labor.  That is a big deal when 8 hours have passed and you are starting to become tired.  When I started pushing I had a hard time dealing with the pressure.  I was screaming and freaking out a little.  My doula helped me calm down and kept me focused.  I made it through without any pain medication and no interventions.  It was really nice to have someone at our birth you had seen/done this before. It kept us both calm and it gave my DH a break when he needed to go to the bathroom or relax for a few minutes.  My DH and I think she was worth every penny and that she helped make our birth a wonderful stress free experience.  We plan to have a doula at our next birth (hopefully the same one)!

ETA: here is a previous post about experiences with doulas that you may find helpful.

https://community.thebump.com/cs/ks/forums/thread/69821991.aspx

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I absolutely think having a doula is a benefit and I would recommend them to anyone who will be giving birth ESPECIALLY if it is your first or you don't have a strong support team. With that being said, I had a quick labor. I called my doula when my water broke and I had my son three hours later. She thought since I was a ftm she had a while. She showed up 5 minutes before my son was born, stuck around while I got stitched up, and left. Granted I don't really think that was her fault or anything... She did what she could with what I gave her. But I just wasnt prepared to drop 700 dollars on someone who wasn't even going to be there for my labor you know? It's a big money investment. If I had a typical first time labor I would consider her priceless. But when it came down to it I basically wasted my money. So whatever you decide just know you have to be prepared to spend that money no matter what, whether you need her for 12 hours or 12 minutes.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagetokenhoser:

I loved having a doula. She was our most expensive baby item and 100% worth it. She made my husband a rock star - all he had to do was whatever she suggested. She stayed with me in the moments he couldn't (parking the car, etc). She gave us both the confidence to have me labour at home and helped us know when to go to the hospital. Overall, she just made it a much less stressful day.

She also checked on me in the hospital and at home to make sure breastfeeding was going well.

Ditto this.

We spent $1000 for ours. 

• Options

I was talking with my husband last night, and he is pushing to hire a doula again this time. I'm more indifferent, but he remembers how much she helped with hip compressions and back counterpressure and I think he feels like there is no way one person could have give me the physical support I needed.

I kind of love that he's a pro-doula now.

• Options
    I just had my first baby in Sept. I had a doula, loved her, and will never birth or labor without her present if I can help it. She helped me feel safe, loved and secure in the midst of horrible back labor. She helped dh stay on track and keep his cool so he could support me. She helped me remember everything I needed to know. She's now a close friend and I love her dearly. The doula is definitely worth it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"