Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

16month old chest congestion

I noticed this morning DS has a chest cough. Its not very frequent. He doesn't have a fever and acts normal eats, sleeps, and plays well. I'm keeping my eye on him in case it get worse to take him to his pedi. In the mean time can I give him a little honey water to loosen the mucous? I know you're not supposed to give babies under 12 month honey. Have you tried honey for your toddlers cough? Does it help?

Re: 16month old chest congestion

• I've never heard or tried that but if he's acting normal and it's not very frequent I would leave well enough alone. Just push fluids to thin out any mucous he may have and put a humidifier in his room if he has trouble sleeping at night.
    'All I want for you my son, is to be satisfied' imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We have a Vicks thing that you put little scented pads in, and it fills the room with the vapors. I didn't really want to rub vapor rub on him, so I went with that option.

Another suggestion I've read is to close yourself with LO in the bathroom and run a really hot shower to let the steam loosen up the mucous.

I don't know anything about honey water.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • We have used the Vicks plug ins, baby vicks, and cool mist humidifier, and I try adn get as much water in her as possible when she is sick.  Godo luck

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • IF there is no disturbance during the day, I wouldn't do anything for it. We only do the honey thing if our daugther gets real bad at night or during nap. The honey water coats their throat so the "tickly" feeling doesn't make them cough (drainage down the throat). If they're congested, coughing is one way to break it up and get it out. We have also used the humidifier and baby rub on her chest. Also elevating the mattress works wonders as well as steaming up the bathroom right before bathtime and then fill the tub for baby to bathe so that they sit and play in the very humid bathroom.

All of these work great for us especially during crazy Texas weather shifts.

PS: make sure the honey is "local"

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"