Babies: 0 - 3 Months

I have never been so scared in my life, please help me out, ladies!

I am bringing my newborn baby boy home tomorrow!  We just finally started making progress breast feeding tonight and we go home tomorrow. But it's not just breastfeeding, I am terrified I won't be able to meet all his needs. I am totally overwhelmed by emotions (hormones?) and need some advice, encouragement, and understanding from moms who have been here. 

Thank you all sooooo much!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I have never been so scared in my life, please help me out, ladies!

• Just take it one day at a time.  You'll be alright!  Babies eat a lot as newborns, so get cozy and don't worry about much else at first (like the house etc.). You'll be fine!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Exactly what PP said. Just relax, enjoy your time with your LO, and know that you're going to be feeding a LOT. Just find a comfortable place, nest there, and get as much rest as you can when baby sleep. The house can be cleaned later. 
    EDD#1 12/5/12 Born 11/21/12 My LB is better than your LB.BrittanyDoesDerby 4 LYFE!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    EDD#2 2.20.16 I love you already! <3

BabyFruit Ticker
    FEB16 Siggy Challenge Fave TV mom
  • Loading the player...
  • My dad told me something great when DD1 was born: no matter how expert or confident they seem now, every other parent once had no idea what they were doing. In other words, it's normal and you'll learn really fast.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I can't really explain it but you will just be able to do it. Onc eoyu get home you will just learn how to be a mommy and you will learn really quickly. I promise you can do it.
  • I don't want to scare you anymore than you already are but the first 2 weeks after LO was born I cried everyday.  Probably from hormones being all wonky but also from the sleep deprivation. 

Its hard but it gets better.  I can honestly say I am now the happiest I've ever been.  Your instincts will kick in & you'll just do what you need to.

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can do it mama. The hormones balance out after a couple of weeks. All that lo needs is your love and patience. You are more than able. Hugs
  • I felt overwhelmed, anxious, and terrified the first few weeks too. Once you get into your own routine with LO things get so much easier. Don't worry!!!!
  • I wasn't prepared for how overwhelmed I would feel those first couple weeks. There were a ton of other emotions as well, but then I read posts by other FTM and realized I was normal, yay!  And then it all got easier, hormones returned to semi normal levels, his feedings gradually took a little less time and it all got to be really enjoyable. So hang in there, you will do fine when you get home and it will only get better as the weeks go by. The changes happen so quickly you will be amazed. 
  • The fact that you care should reassure you that you WILL figure it all out.  It comes with time but they really don't have many needs so you've got a short check list to work with :)  Feed him, change him often.  Keep him warm and snuggled.  These boards are great if you have questions and of course, if you're really worried, call your pedi.  The good news is that short of blatant neglect or physical harm, even if you screw up, you're not likely to cause any real issues :)

The only real piece of advice I will give you is this:  despite how smart and loving your mother or MIL may be (or any other older person) don't blindly follow their advice.  Their intentions are good but a lot has changed since they raised a baby and their suggestions of "letting baby cry, it's good for the lungs" and "feed him cereal so he sleeps!" are outdated gems probably among many others they'll offer :)   

Formerly known as elmoali :)

• I also cried every day for the first two weeks. It's normal to be overwhelmed. During my first day alone with him, I cried every time he cried. I get more confident each day. It really does start to come natural. You can do it! 
  • I was also terrified leaving the hospital.  I wanted to just stay.  The first couple of days home were REALLY hard.  Then it got better.  The first couple of weeks were really hard.  Then it got better.  2-3 days after getting home and 2-3 weeks after birth seemed to be milestones.  So set those as your goals.  At first, tell yourself, "I just need to make it through 2-3 days, then it'll be better."  After that, tell yourself, "I just have to get through 2-3 weeks, then it'll be better." Having short terms goals like that will help.  Also, take help from anyone who offers it.  Forget about cleaning, etc. for a little while.  And if you think your sadness/anxiety is more than just hormones, see your OB right away.  Postpartum depression and anxiety are very real, very serious, and need treatment (counseling or meds or both). The sooner you get help, the faster you will feel a million times better and the less severe those will get.  Good luck.  You will do great.
  • I can't thank you all enough for your words of encouragement and advice!  We have been home for over 24 hours and are doing well. I have had an enormous amount of support from my husband and help from my lactation consultant. My overwhelming emotions settled down after sharing them with my husband also. I am proud of us and taking it one feeding at a time.  

Your messages really helped me out and calmed me down.  Just knowing that I was normal and that others went through the same feelings with success eased my anxiety!

Thanks a million from both baby Zach and myself! 

• A little late to the party here, but take it one day at a time. To be really, really honest, the first 6 weeks for me were very hard. I am a type A personality and always try to take on too much. So I got really stressed the first few weeks trying to do everything that I did before I had E. You can't though. You change and your life changes. Enjoy your baby and good luck!

[MC 11.20.11] [DS born 9.24.12] [DD born 10.15.14]

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"