Idaho Babies
Options

5 weeks and I have questions!!!

Hi everyone! So I am weeks pregnant with my first child!!!! BUT I have so many questions on what I can and cannot eat. My first appt with my Dr. isn't for another 3 weeks! I have been looking online for answers but they are so contradicting. So I am just going to rattle a few questions off and hopefully someone can help me! Thank you for your time!!!

1. Eating canned foods? ie....fruit and soup mostly

2. Eating frozen veggies?

3. What about drinks? Is anything else safe besides water? I have heard yes and no on Fruit juice and V8....

If anyone can help me out I would be so grateful!! Thanks again!
Mallory

Re: 5 weeks and I have questions!!!

• Options
    I am 35 weeks with my second child, and honestly I understand all of your worries and concerns. There is so many "dos and don'ts" it can really get overwhelming. The biggest foods to avoid really are any fish high is mercury, raw eggs, too much caffeine (especially before 12 weeks, I am drinking two to three cups a day to keep up with my two year old! Lol), and really that's all I have avoided. I have never heard eating canned food to be dangerous, as long as there are no dents that might show air leaked into them, and frozen veggies are much healthier when boiled on the stove top instead of nuked. When it comes to drinks, 64 oz of water is what you want to drink, but I also drink plenty of OJ, milk and cranberry juice. Later in pregnancy though it's really common to get acid reflux, and you'll want to avoid milk as it actually makes it worse. Just remember to add only 300 calories a day, and I find it easier to eat 5 small meals throughout the day, especially when you get bigger, it is hard to eat a normal size meal, I feel like there is no room for that much food these days! Congrats and good luck. Pregnancy is a miracle, but at times you will feel the opposite lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image  image
  • Options

Hi Mallory! Congratulations! I am currently 30 weeks along with my first and I was also concerned about all the things you can and can't do! As far as your questions 

1. Canned foods should be considered safe by your Dr, I've been eating canned soups through out my pregnancy.

2. Frozen veggies are fine

3.Water is the best thing to drink, you should be upping your water intake by a lot to stay hydrated, but you can also drink juices, and even a small amount of caffeinated beverages. Most Dr agree that 200 mg of caffeine is a safe amount. Stay away from herbal teas until you can talk to your Dr.

The list I got from my Dr office says to stay away from soft cheeses because there is a very small chance they can contain listeria, and for the same reason stay away from lunch meats and deli meats(plus they have lots of cancer causing nitrates)

You also want to avoid coming in contact with cat feces, as it carries toxoplasmosis which can be very harmful to your fetus, but that chance is also very low :) 

My Dr also recomended not taking any medicines like tylenol or advil until after 12 weeks, and only tylenol is safe after that.

Good luck with everything!  

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for you help!! I can't stop thinking about our sweet little baby! Thanks again for you time! I will definitely keep everything in mind! Only two more weeks til my first Dr. Appt!!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"