Baby Names

Can't agree

DH and I cannot agree on a girls name! We decided on the boys name about a month ago with not much discussion. The girls name, however, has been ridiculously hard. We are figuring out that we both have very different tastes. I find myself leaning towards names like:
Amelia, Juliet, Madelyn, Olivia and Rosalie

He likes names such as: Chole, Hailey, Kaileigh (sp?) and Claire

How did you and your SO decide on a name for your LO? 

Re: Can't agree

• Try https://www.nymbler.com/, it lets you put in 6 names that you like, therefore 3 each and it'll populate with names that are similar which should give you some overlapping options. :)

I do love Rosalie Claire though as an option! 

• I love Amelia 

Did you mean Chloe? That's cute too, unless you mean Chole like Cole with a random H?

We found out LO was a girl, and named her on the way to Target when we left the A/S. It went kind of like "What about Natalia?".... "Fine, works for me" there was never really any discussion, nor were there any other names brought up as options lol. 

We had a big list of boy names, and 0 girl names.  

When I had her I remember I freaked out a little and kept saying "She doesn't look anything like a Natalia" lol I was on a lot of drugs from the C-Section.  

Just keep running through names until you find one you're both happy with.  

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We just kept searching. We discovered that whether or not one of us likes a particular name can be VERY subjective even with fairly stable "styles." For example, my hubby, who likes names that are "trending" more also really liked the old-fashioned name Cedric. I, the one who tends to like more old-fashioned, "solid" names, actually had a hard time going as far as Cedric lol. Ultimately, we came up with a name that I feel was a little more towards my style but that he still loved after it grew on him. (So I suggest giving it time, too).

Fwiw, Claire was our girl name too (although we found out at 20 wks we were having a boy, so we stopped trying to finalize a girl's name at that point). It's such a classic yet has a modern feel to it that I think it's a great choice for couples who have different styles.

• Thanks! I look into Nymbler, hopefully it will help! And my bad totally meant Chloe!! We talk about the girls name almost daily. I'll say "what about X" and he says "Ehh" or shrugs and makes a face. I never thought picking a girls name would be this difficult! I always thought it would be the boys name we would have trouble with.
  • imageMrs Castillo:

I love Amelia 

Did you mean Chloe? That's cute too, unless you mean Chole like Cole with a random H?

We found out LO was a girl, and named her on the way to Target when we left the A/S. It went kind of like "What about Natalia?".... "Fine, works for me" there was never really any discussion, nor were there any other names brought up as options lol. 

We had a big list of boy names, and 0 girl names.  

When I had her I remember I freaked out a little and kept saying "She doesn't look anything like a Natalia" lol I was on a lot of drugs from the C-Section.  

Just keep running through names until you find one you're both happy with.  

Natalia was an early pick for us too before we found out we were having a boy - gorgeous name! :) We named our son Nathaniel so Natalia and other "Nat" names are off the list for a future daughter, but it's nice to see someone else use it. :)

*Edit: For clarity

• Suggestions-

Serena

Daphne

Colette

Coraline

Ivy

Nina

Fiona

Vivian

Elaina

Nadine

Carissa

For DH, names have to grow on him. I have to find names I love and talk about them a lot to get him to like anything.

• Juliet Hailey, Chloe Madeline...I would just compromise and blend both of your styles. They make lovely names when paired together!

DH and I have very similar name preferences, so picking DS' name was easy for us. Now the next DS won't be so easy. Haha
    imageimage
  • It's actually really easy for DH and I to agree on girl names it is just narrowing down the names to one name that we LOVE over all the other. Boy names are a different ball game.

Good luck hun. When you find the name you will know.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Are you going to be team green or will you find out?  I ask because if you have trouble picking, maybe just focus after you know your specific LO's sex.

DH and I are having a terrible time, but he tabled all discussions until we knew the gender because we knew 50% of the discussion would be moot.  So now we know and can focus on what we're having (DD#2).  At this rate, she will end up keeping the name Sprout. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • My DH had similar taste to your's. He liked things that ended in an "e" sound (Kaylee, Riley, Hailey...) whereas I prefered a more traditional/longer name (Abigail, Charlotte, Rebecca, etc....). I found the "e" names sounded too much like a nickname. So what I did was find a name I loved that had an "e" nickname (Abby, Charlie, Becky), he changed his mind pretty fast. Good luck!
    Married - July 2010, DD - April 2011, #2 EDD August 10, 2013
  • Looks like you like longer, very traditionally feminine names. You also really like "ie" and "ia" sounds.

He likes more modern, snappier names, and then Claire, which seems like a bit of an outlier.

I think "Natalie" might work well for you. It's got the "ie" sound but it's a little more modern sounding. 

Natalie Claire, maybe?

• It was extremely hard for us to agree. We have very different taste in names. This time we're waiting to find out the gender before we even START to argue about names.

The method that worked best for us was for one person to go through a baby name book with a highlighter and mark all of the names they like - not love/adore/want to use, just like. Then the other person goes through and marks theirs. Anything in common is up for discussion.

D is 3, A is 1
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • I let DH have the first name and I took the MN.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think the best method is to go over names together and write down all that you both like. Once you have the list of names you both like, each of you should rank them from your favorite to least favorite. Then discuss the ones you both ranked at the top.
  • We had a tough time choosing a name for DS.  What ended up working for us was I made a long list of every single name I would consider - I literally went page by page through a baby name book and wrote down the ones I found acceptable - and then let DH narrow it down from there.  The name we chose in the end would never have been one of my top picks if it had just been up to me, but what we did was the only way we could find something we both agreed on.

Also, since DD's first name is from my side of the family and her MN is from DH's side, I gave him more say in DS's first name and was more particular that his MN be something I wanted (my maiden name).  So if you plan to have more kids, you can kind of take turns determining FN/MN as long as each of you retains veto power.

FWIW, my name is Juliet and I like your picks better than your DH's (though I think Claire is quite nice).  I think your names will age better than names like Hailey and Kaileigh or whatever.

DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Thanks everyone! We are going to be finding out the gender so I think that we will wait until we know what it is to talk any further. The name issue has been a frustrating topic so it's probably best that we take a break. Although I will be taking all advice into consideration when we approach the subject again. 
  • My DH and I made our own separate lists, and then came together to look over the names and we tried pairing some of his names, with some of my names, and we made some awesome first and middle name combinations that we plan on using for future children!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"