Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Anyone else have big babies that slimmed down??

I have a 2 1/2 yo and 8 month old. The older is about 35 lbs and about 37 inches tall (possibly more), and the younger over 22 lbs and over 28 inches long. My girls are big. I worry about their weights, because I don't want them to continue to be big when they get older. I don't allow them to eat sweets and I limit fast food to blue moons and lunar eclipses, and no juice or soda, obviously. I come from a chunky family, but I am slim. My husband also comes from a chunky family, but was slim as a child. Anyone have older children that outgrew their chub??? I was literally 5 lbs lighter at the same age as my 8 month old! DH is 6'2 and I am 5'6, so I get the height, but the weight is concerning. DH tells me not to worry, but he's a guy and would love for his girls to be "academically plump".
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anyone else have big babies that slimmed down??

• Options

I know I shouldn't worry, but I'm their mom, and that's kind of what I do. I look around at all the obese children and teenagers, and I see how it has somehow become acceptable to be "chubby" enough to be unhealthy, and I just don't want that for my girls. Thanks though Embarrassed

• Options
    imageacaudill75:

I know I shouldn't worry, but I'm their mom, and that's kind of what I do. I look around at all the obese children and teenagers, and I see how it has somehow become acceptable to be "chubby" enough to be unhealthy, and I just don't want that for my girls. Thanks though Embarrassed

I completely understand your worrying. DS was 2 in August and he is 46 pounds and 39 inches tall. He was almost 9 pounds at birth and has always been in the 98th+ percentile for both weight and height. I am 5'8" and DH is 6"0 so I know he is going to be tall but both my FIL and my grandmother are obese so it worries me. DS has had fast food twice in his life, only has sugar free juice and eats quite healthy. At his 2 year check up we inquired and the pediatrician said they don't become concerned until they are 4. I'm not sure if this is consistent across all the pediatricians but that's what ours told us. I was an all-american soccer player so DS will be enrolled in soccer next fall (it starts at 3 in our town) so I am sure he will start to lose his chub! Your not alone in your worrying mama! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Everyone in my family has been born between 8-12 pounds, all were in the 95th percentile as babies and trended 70+ into toddlerhood. My whole family is fairly slim. Not super model slim, but none of them are overweight for their height. We all are proportionate. I wouldn't worry about it. My DH's side had a few very big babies and they are all normal sized adults and teenagers too. 
  • Options

they are way to young to worry about weight IMO

just teach them good eating habits, which it sounds like you are doing, and don't worry about the rest - if you teach them to like fruit & veg and to stay away from the bad stuff most of the time then that will help them keep slim when they get older :)

• Options
    I was an average baby at birth, but huge through baby and early childhood.  Probably upper 90's for weight and height.  Now, I'm average height, and pretty thin(5'4", 120).  I was just a big kid, and then I stopped growing.  I think DD is going to be the same way - 30th percentile at birth, but jumped to 90's until 18 months.  She was in the 80's for height and 70's for weight at her last appt.  We were worried at first, but like previous posters have said, just work on giving her a healthy, balanced diet, and make sure she's active.
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I will try to tone it down, lest I give my daughters complexes!!! We are planning on enrolling the older one in dance classes soon, so hopefully that will keep her active and if she stays big, at least we know she is in shape!
  • Options

We do our best as parents. Keep instilling good habits and they will be ok. 

Says the mom of TB's resident large baby 

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    imageKaramelSutra:

We do our best as parents. Keep instilling good habits and they will be ok. 

Says the mom of TB's resident large baby 

Stop feeding him weight gainer 2000!!!

Just kidding! At least you know no one is going to mess with him in school! Very few kids push my daughter around, and only once, because its like pushing on an oak tree!

• Options
    I can't help it. I NEED him to be big!!!!

The Mob Boss 
    Birth: 10lbs 11oz, 21.5 inches <> 1 mo: 14lbs 7oz, 23.5 inches
    2mo: 18lbs 15oz, 25.5 inches <> 4mo: 26lbs 8oz, 27.5 inches6mo: 29lbs 8oz, 30 inches <> 9mo: 32lbs, 32 inches12 mo: 37lbs, 34.5 inches <> 15 mo: 38lbs 6 oz, 36 inches. 20.5 inch noggin18 mo: 43lbs, 37.75 inches 21 inch head2yr: 47 lbs, 42 inches. 21.5 inch head. Woah.  

imageimage
  • Options

imageKaramelSutra:
    I can't help it. I NEED him to be big!!!!

Well, I don't envy you trying to pick him up. I held DD1 at 35 lbs in my left arm, and then DD2 at 22 lbs in my right, and I really thought I was going to collapse. I hope he walked at an early age so you didn't have to carry him around too much!!

• Options

Totally.  My DD was 9'11" at birth and was literally off the charts (listed as >97% for the first 9 months of her life).  She eventually just started slowly drifting down as she got mobile but kind of retained a "toddler belly" for a long time.  She's 5 now and in the last 6-9 months finally lost the last of her belly and roundness in her face and is just a little girl.  I think she was just over 50% for weight at her 5  year.  I honestly never worried about it.  My DS was also big, although never quite that big but tended to run short.  At his 2 year he was 83% for weight which is the higest he's been (since shortly after birth) but finally topped 60% for height (as opposed to 19% at one point).  His belly has been so huge at one point another kid asked me if he had a baby in it. 

I never worried.  We feed them well as much as we can, he's very busy and they're both active at school.  They're just little.  They'll grow out of it as long as you make good choices for them.  And I kind of miss the roundness in my 5 year old, all the baby is gone from her now.

• Options

imagefredalina:
    My LO had severe reflux, but instead of being thin, it made her snack and get chubby. At 9 months she was 75% weight and 25% height. I think her weight was just short of 24 pounds. At 2 years she weighed 26 pounds and had gone to 50% height and 50% weight. At 3 she was 50% height and 25% weight. She is very active and eats a pretty healthy diet though she gets some treats. I never did anything intentionally to either make her thinner or thicker. I do make sure she gets plenty of beneficial fats, especially before she turned 2 but still she eats lots of yogurt and avocado and nuts.

This was DD. Her reflux caused her to want to overeat to soothe her throat. And it made her jump up to 95% for weight as a baby. She is also very tall, which she gets from my husband.

Anyway, she started slimming down a lot around 18 months, and now at 2 she is quite thin. DS has always been super skinny. DH was a chubby baby as well, and then there are pictures of him as an older child that look like a Norman Rockwell painting (twig legs with his knees being the widest part, ha ha). So genes play a big part in it as well. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"