Baby Names

Ophelia

I have fallen for the name Ophelia, but I have a niece named Olivia. Do you think Ophelia and Olivia is to similar? And does Ophelia and William sound like a good sibset?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ophelia

• I wouldn't worry about Ophelia being too close to Olivia.

I just can't get past the Shakepeare character. Ophelia and William together makes it even worse.

I like the way Ophelia sounds but I can't get past the Shakespeare character. I feel the same way about Romeo.   Guinevere, Lancelot, and Morgana are also ruined for me. I think that all of these names would make great pet names, however.

I'm ok with Juliet and Arthur because they aren't solely associated with a Shakespeare play or legend.

Edit: Reviving Ophelia, a book on adoloscent girls, was a big deal when I was coming of age so that may be why I am so biased. The book is about how many adoloscent girls lose their sense of self and the psychotherapist compares this phenomenon to Ophelia's character development in Hamlet. This book was a HUGE deal in the mid 90s.

When the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window.
  • First of all, I really like Ophelia and think William and Ophelia are a really cute sibset. Personally, the similarities in sounds would make me hesitate naming my daughter Ophelia with a cousin named Olivia. I don't think it's super "matchy" though, and wouldn't side-eye it.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
  • Loading the player...
  • Love that name. 
  • I like Ophelia. It falls into the GP name category for me so I don't think I would use it. However, I wouldn't mind seeing it on someone else. I think it goes nicely with William.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageJulianneJacks:

I wouldn't worry about Ophelia being too close to Olivia.

I just can't get past the Shakepeare character. Ophelia and William together makes it even worse.

I like the way Ophelia sounds but I can't get past the Shakespeare character. I feel the same way about Romeo.   Guinevere, Lancelot, and Morgana are also ruined for me. I think that all of these names would make great pet names, however.

I'm ok with Juliet and Arthur because they aren't solely associated with a Shakespeare play or legend.

Edit: Reviving Ophelia, a book on adoloscent girls, was a big deal when I was coming of age so that may be why I am so biased. The book is about how many adoloscent girls lose their sense of self and the psychotherapist compares this phenomenon to Ophelia's character development in Hamlet. This book was a HUGE deal in the mid 90s.

It's a pretty name, but this x 1000.  

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I like Ophelia. Ophelia with William is a little too Shakespear for me, but I wouldn't think it is terrible.
  • I love that name, too! That is our top girl choice. DH blurted it out one day and I dug it!

Ophelia and Olivia don't sound too too similar. They start with the same letter and have the same amount of syllables, but that's about it. 

Ophelia and William sound cute. Nice choices. I have no opinion about the Shakespeare references or the book.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I like it, was on our long list, one of DH's picks (one of my gp names from last baby though and I thought I've moved on).  I do not think it is too matchy with a cousin Olivia, although I do think paired with William it might seem like you are going for Shakespeare theme... which is not a bad thing and William is a great name.  GL, now you got me re-thinking of this one.
  • I think it's very pretty.

I agree that it sounds a bit Shakespeare super-fan with William, but there's not anything wrong with being a Shakespeare super-fan!

• I love Ophelia. It was actually first on my list bit H vetoed it. I think it sounds good with William and is not to close to a cousin Olivia. I say go for it!
    photo 928560AF-AAA0-4036-A0DB-1781F180055B-8057-000009B95DF7BAAA_zps4aeff975.jpg Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I like the sib-set combo, personally. Ophelia is a pretty name.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I also love the name Ophelia, but I think I would only ever use it as a middle name. (I actually dreamed I named my baby Margaret Ophelia. What can I say, my subconscious has classy taste).

Another hindrance to Ophelia as a first name (at least for me) is that there is no good nickname for it. Ophie sounds like Oafy. Not nice.

• I like it a lot. I like it with William, and I definitely wouldn't worry about the Olivia thing. I don't think they are that close, especially for cousins. 
  • I really should like this name but for some reason my mind goes to where middle school boys might go with this name. "Oh feel ya" might be harassed a bit at that age.
  • imageswimiz500:
    I like it a lot. I like it with William, and I definitely wouldn't worry about the Olivia thing. I don't think they are that close, especially for cousins. 

This 

• I have a hard time not thinking about the Shakespeare character who drowned herself when I hear this name. Especially with William it makes the character even more pronounced.

It is also kind of awkward to say, not very pretty sounding. Not to mention the teasing potential a PP mentioned.

I'd keep looking.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Such a guilty pleasure name of mine. I say go for it. Dont worry about Olivia. Also William and Ophelia sound great together!
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• I love Ophelia! I find it very elegant, and really enjoy that it is uncommon but immediately recognizable.

That being said, I had previously classified Atticus as "uncommon but immediately recognizable," too, and more often than not people look at me like I have 3 heads when they hear it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I love Ophelia.

I don't think it's too similar to Olivia.

I think some people might think you're a Shakespeare freak though with William & Ophelia. 

ETA - I don't think it's a bad thing, but hopefully you know a thing or two about Shakespeare because people might try and talk to you about him! 

• I love Ophelia!  I wish I could get DH behind it.  And I think it's very distinct from Olivia.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"