Babies: 3 - 6 Months
Options

Adult umbilical hernia after having your baby

My belly button seemed a little large for being 5 months pp so I asked my OBGYN about it and he felt my belly button and told me that I have an umbilical hernia, about 1/4 inch in size. I asked him if I should be concerned and he said no. I asked him if I should get it fixed and he said not until I'm finished having children. Did anyone else get an umbilical hernia and did you get it fixed? I stupidly looked on the Internet and scared myself into thinking the blood supply could possibly get cutoff to that part of the intestines and it could be life threatening. I'm sure my doctor would have said I should get it fixed if it was that bad. I should not look stuff up on the Internet. So anyhow, anyone else experience this? 

Re: Adult umbilical hernia after having your baby

• Options
    Lurking from Aug 12.. I absolutely have one of these as well, you're not alone. Don't get yourself too freaked out I spoke to my dr who wanted to send me for a catscan but I EBF and the contrast doesn't allow you to BF for 24 hours. The doctor said that its fine to wait until after DD is weaned so I'm taking that it's more of an inconvenience for me than life altering. Depending on your dr, they may prefer to wait if you have a slight tear and minimal pain vs a large tear with severe pain. If you have the latter, I don't think it's safe if they wait until you're done having kids. You can always get a second opinion.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I have one. I am done having children so I am getting it checked at the gastroenterologist at the end of the month. My OB thought it might go away after I had the baby but it didn't and I hate the way it looks so I am going to get it removed. I also have a family history of hernias - my mother has had 2 removed. I think if it isn't hurting you it is more of a personal preference if you want to have it removed. The only reason the doctor would suggest having it done when youre finished having children is that you might get another one when and if you get pregnant again. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I should just trust my doctor and relax. Just curious, does anyone know how big theirs was? Mine is about 1/4 inch and I'm wondering if that's considered small, big or average. I hate the way it looks too. I used to have such a cute belly button. The changes our bodies go through for a baby ;-)
  • Options
    I have one. I got it with my second pregnancy. I didn't know what it was, I just thought my belly button was sticking out because I still had quite a bit of flab PP. I found out what it was at my first appt. for my third preg. My dr. also told me I didn't need to do anything to it unless is hurt or bothered me. I am EBF so I have decided not to deal with it until I am done. I am hoping to lose all the weight I gained with the last two pregnancys, then I will see how much it bothers me cosmetically.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker"0" />border="0" />
  • Options
    Does anyone's feel tender, especially when you touch it? Mine doesn't hurt really but feels tender or uncomfortable sometimes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"