Stay at Home Moms

What do you bring to potlucks?

I need to rsvp and share what I'll be bringing for 3 separate potlucks taking place in the next 2 weeks. I have no clue what to bring. And with the morning sickness kicking in, nothing really sounds good.

Do you have a favorite dish to bring to potlucks? At this point it can be anything--main dish, side, dessert, etc. Thanks

DD1: Maya 05/10
DD2: Lucia (Lucy) 07/13

Re: What do you bring to potlucks?

• Totally depends. 

an easy one is a stick of butter, a package of cream cheese and 1 lb of corn.  Warmed and stirred (best in the crockpot).

We do a lunch for Moms Club once a month and two months in a row I brought bread & PB &J.

Shrimp cocktail is an easy app.  Spinach & artichoke dip I LOVE.

I brought brussell sprouts to Thanksgiving.

• I usually take things in the crockpot because its easy.  Pulled pork sandwiches, cheese dip with tortilla chips (always a hit), meatballs.  You could also take a cheese ball with crackers.  I make one that is cream cheese and chopped pepperoni with a little garlic.  Really easy and good.  If you really aren't feeling it buy something pre-made from the store.
  • Loading the player...
  • I usually do a baked mac and cheese.  Adults and kids like it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • pulled pork in crock pot (super easy), cream cheese chicken in crockpot (super easy), side dish tater tot casserole side, roasted red potatoes with cheese.

tater tot side:

1/4 cup 2% low-fat milk

1 cup low-fat sour cream 1 (10 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked & cubed 16 ounces frozen tater tots 1 1/2 cups shredded colby-monterey jack cheese

Directions:

1 Mix all the ingredients together in a 9x12 glass baking dish. 2 Bake in a preheated 350F oven for 45 minutes. 3 Serve hot. cream cheese chick in crockpot: brush the crock pot with margarine/butter brush 3 chicken breasts with butter then lay in crockpot add 1 can cr of mush soup 1 pkg of cream cheese (cube up and put in) 1 pkg of good seasons italian dressing mix at the end, I add a cup of ched cheese. stir real well after at least 6 hours of cooking, shred chicken, mix til not clumps and serve over rotini noodles.  Yum!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Totally depends on the event, but I usually volunteer for an appetizer, salad, or dessert.  I just made a harvest salad with a homemade apple cider vinegarette that was really good.  I also like to wrap brie and apricot preserves with phylo - super easy!

• I've never been to a formal potluck...like I've brought an app or dessert to parties, but just because I asked how I could help. 
  • It just depends on my mood and how much work I feel like putting into it. But a few of my go-tos are cheesey chicken buffalo dip, jalapeno popper dip and these little cucumber sandwiches my mom makes. All are super yummy and easy to make.

The cucumber sandwiches you just need cream cheese, a pack of hidden valley ranch, a few cucumbers and a loaf or two of cocktail sized rye bread, sliced. Mix the cream cheese and ranch mix and spread on the bread slices then cut up the cucumbers and put one cucumber on each piece of bread. Super easy and great finger foods. They are a huge hit at all our holiday parties.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers ANGELS ARE GIVEN WINGS AND TAKEN BACK TOO SOON --- We love and miss you soo much Kacie Rae --- 9/11/10 --- born sleeping at 29wks2d
  • I usually do dessert and most of the time choose homemade cookies (often snickerdoodles).  Sometimes I will do a veggie tray or a salad.

I have THREE potlucks in a week and a half.  Tomorrow I'm taking chocolate crinkle cookies and carrots/dip, next Saturday I'm taking snickerdoodles and a pasta (orzo) salad, and the following Wednesday I'll do a veggie tray.  

SAHM to Eli, born 11.26.11
  • Maybe it's the food manager in me, but I get the heebies when it comes to pot lucks so I try to bring something that won't sicken anyone (#1 food borne illness maker/killer is the pot luck!)..

Veggies & Dip (with dip being in an ice bath to keep it cold)..

Cookies

Cake/Dessert

(borderline) Cheese Tray (String Cheese, cheese curds, munster, cojack, and chedder)..

(borderline) Meat Tray..

(borderline) Taco Salad (cream cheese mixed with sour cream and taco seasoning, topped with lettuce, cheese, chopped tomatoes, and olives) and a bag of chips..

If you know you've got access to an outlet to keep them nice and hot, a crock filled with either...  Meatballs and marinara sauce...  or Teenie Weenies and BBQ sauce... 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • deviled eggs or meatballs
  • When pregnant, I usually take the easy route and buy a pre-made veggie tray or cheese and crackers.  

Otherwise I do buffalo chicken dip (but usually can't stand handling raw meat when pregnant.). 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Whenever I go to anywhere where I have to bring a dish I bring dessert. I love to bake. However, maybe I should start to bring a main dish since I'm more picky with main dishes than I am with desserts, and if I bring a main dish I'll know there will be something there I like. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"