Cloth Diapering
Options

Tryoutfor Cloth with Newborn Twins: What do I need?

My mother is worried that I'm going to buy all kinds of stuff and then quit.  She's convinced that cloth diapering means diaper rashes, stinky diapers, and non-stop laundry piling up.  I've tried over and over to explain to her what I've been reading and educating myself on, but I think she's just going to have to see to believe.

I'm thinking about doing a trial period with my newborns... does this make sense?

After we come home from the hospital we'll use GMD fitteds with covers during the newborn period and if it's going well we'll graduate to the next size.  

Questions:

How many GMD fitteds should I order for twins?  Newborn size with snaps? 

How many covers?

TTC #1 2+ Years with Unexplained IF
1st & Only BFP: 1st IVF w/ ICSI, 3dt of 2 7-cell, grade 2 embryos on 8/25/12
Beta #1 9/5: 87.2 BFP! - Beta #2 9/7: 248 - 1st US @ 6w3d Two Heartbeats! - MoDi Girls!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Tryoutfor Cloth with Newborn Twins: What do I need?

• Options

Well, regardless of cloth or disposables you're going to be dealing with stuff that stinks and lots of laundry. lol Lets be real.

For my one in the oven, I ordered 24 newborn GMDs and 24 small GMDs, then a few covers (6 or 7) during black friday sales (Thirsties Duo Wraps, Rumparoos Newborn covers, etc.) The GMDs were through their seconds sale and I got them for a steal! Keep your eye out for the next one.

We've had my son in bumGenius 3.0's and 4.0's for almost 2 years now, so the plan (HAHAHA) is to use the prefolds and covers on DD, then move her to DS's bumGenius when he's potty trained. 

If you're interested in trials of diapers, there are several sites that let you borrow a few types of CD set ups for a few weeks before buying. Prefolds and covers are pretty standard and easy with newborns though. You'll just need double the normal recommendation for one kid. :)

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options

It makes total sense to try it out before you buy any larger diapers. 

Just make sure to have wet bags or pail liners.  Also, consider cloth wipes.  It sounds like more work, but I've found them easier than disposables.   

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagesarenu1:

It makes total sense to try it out before you buy any larger diapers. 

Just make sure to have wet bags or pail liners.  Also, consider cloth wipes.  It sounds like more work, but I've found them easier than disposables.   

Amen. We did disposable wipes the first time, but are doing cloth this time around. It will be SO much easier.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

• Options

I hadlots of people doubting me too, especially with twins, butso so far so good!  We did GMDworkhorses and loved them! Ihad 24 nbs with snaps,

as well as 12 prefolds and 12 aios/pockets of various kinds that I got used.  So, 48 total diapers to start.  I have 10 covers--4 thirties duo, 2 Lil joeys and 4 pro wraps.  I didn't like the pro wraps at first BC even the nb size was way too big (dd was just under 6 lbs and DS just under 7 lbs at birth).  Now I like them OK, but recommend the thirsties-they'll last longer too.

You could do a trial with aios/pockets to round out the stash.  The reason i decided to buy was so i'd have them for any other kids, or i could resell.  With 48 I was washing every day, but my wet bag is full after 24 hours so id say plan on every day regardless.

Good luck! I love CDing my twins so don't let your mom or others make you doubt yourself.  One thing, I felt really overwhelmed the first few days and thought maybe I had made a mistake planning to CD.  We brought the disposables from the hospital so we used those at first.  But one day, i think day 5, i put a cd on them and off we went!  It really, truly, is not that hard, and the savings is so awesome!

TTC since September 2009.

IVF #2: +HPT 2/6/12! ~ Boy/Girl Twins!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"