March 2013 Moms

XP: Necessary or fear purchase item?

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Ever-Crib-Mattress-Size/dp/B002MBVH98

The Best Day Ever crib mattress cover is designed with an impermeable layer to prevent toxic gasses, allergens and other hazardous chemicals coming from your crib mattress from reaching your baby. What makes the Serendipity Mattress Cover different from other mattress covers? * Unlike typical mattress covers, the Serendipity cover blocks toxic gasses, hazardous chemicals, and allergens in your babies' mattress. * The Serendipity Mattress Cover is made from an engineered pure polymer that contains no additives to leach into your babies sleeping environment. Vinyl and other types of plastic covers contain hazardous chemicals like fire retardants, plasticizers and biocides that can leach out of the cover creating a hazardous environment for your baby.

For reference, we will be using a non-organic crib mattress. I, obviously, have no qualms purchasing if this is something that is absolutely necessary, proven effective, etc. But, also don't want to be scared that if I don't purchase, I am putting my child at risk.

Re: XP: Necessary or fear purchase item?

• I personally don't think it's necessary, wheras the fire retardance is. We used a regular walmart $50 crib matress for DS and will be doing the same for this baby. Everyones entiled to their own oppinion and if this is really something you think you need then get it and don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.
    Alexander 03/13/2008 Jace 03/20/2013 

• it's only 30$ I say why not? it certainly isn't going to hurt. They used to use asbestos as a fire retardant, no? And lead in paint was very common. If I had founf something like this for DD I would have used it.
  • Loading the player...
  • If you already have a mattress and it is not GreenGuard certified, this cover is probably better than nothing, although there is really no way to stop chemicals from puffing out of the seams...

Even a tiny bit of research will reveal that the chemicals used to make something flame retardant are toxic.  Every time they come up with a new one, it only takes a few years for independent scientists to find out that the chemical is carcinogenic or inhibits normal body hormones.  Do you know who is pushing for fire retardants in mattresses and other foam products? The lobbyists who get paid by the chemical companies.  And the original studies that showed that flame retardants in furniture saves lives were paid for by the chemical companies, and later disproved by independent scientists trying to recreate the same experiments.

As an architect, I have done a lot of research on this topic.  Install a hard-wired smoke detector in the nursery, as SMOKE is the REAL danger.  If fire has reached your baby's mattress, hate to say it, but baby has already died from smoke inhalation.

Sorry to be a debby-downer, but there are now inexpensive options for safe mattresses.  It is one of the ONLY things you can control in terms of lowering baby's exposure. Now, if we could only convince the federal government to get rid of the chemical requirements for infant sleepwear! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • "The Best Day Ever crib mattress cover is designed with an impermeable layer to prevent toxic gasses, allergens and other hazardous chemicals coming from your crib mattress from reaching your baby. What makes the Serendipity Mattress Cover different from other mattress covers? Unlike typical mattress covers, the Serendipity cover blocks toxic gasses, hazardous chemicals, and allergens in your babies' mattress. "

Sorry but this sounds like complete bullcrap to me. I can't believe such outlandish claims. If youre concerned about chemicals and gasses buy a GreenGuard certified mattress. Thats what i'm planning to do. I wouldn't trust a cover to protect against all that.

Now if you decide to get a GreenGuard mattress and just want a waterproof cover that has no bad chemicals then I guess this looks fine for that purpose. But I wouldn't buy it to cover a regular mattress thinking its going to protect the baby.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• imageCBomback:

If you already have a mattress and it is not GreenGuard certified, this cover is probably better than nothing, although there is really no way to stop chemicals from puffing out of the seams...

Even a tiny bit of research will reveal that the chemicals used to make something flame retardant are toxic.  Every time they come up with a new one, it only takes a few years for independent scientists to find out that the chemical is carcinogenic or inhibits normal body hormones.  Do you know who is pushing for fire retardants in mattresses and other foam products? The lobbyists who get paid by the chemical companies.  And the original studies that showed that flame retardants in furniture saves lives were paid for by the chemical companies, and later disproved by independent scientists trying to recreate the same experiments.

As an architect, I have done a lot of research on this topic.  Install a hard-wired smoke detector in the nursery, as SMOKE is the REAL danger.  If fire has reached your baby's mattress, hate to say it, but baby has already died from smoke inhalation.

Sorry to be a debby-downer, but there are now inexpensive options for safe mattresses.  It is one of the ONLY things you can control in terms of lowering baby's exposure. Now, if we could only convince the federal government to get rid of the chemical requirements for infant sleepwear! 

The purpose of having infant/children's sleepwear flame retardant is in case of accidental contact with open flame (gas stove, candles, etc) to prevent the child from being seriously burned from the clothes going up in flames.  The reason only nighttime clothes are required to be flame retardant is because in the cool and dark of night is when most candles, fire places/pits, and fuel burning heaters are lit.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"