Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C hell, sorry if graphic

Well for starters, sorry I haven't been here supporting everyone like I'd like to be over the last few days. Many of you we're here to support me after my d&c on Saturday. Following the surgery I had a few days of light spotting and cramping that was maybe a bit worse than most people said they were experiencing but I didn't think much of it. Day 4 post d&c I got up and started to bleed very heavily, like pouring blood into the toilet when I'd sit. The cramps also became unbearably painful so we rushed to the ER right away to be safe. I spent all day sitting in an ER exam room in a puddle of my own blood because the nurse made me strip for a pelvic exam they never ended up doing just for them to drug me and send me home saying it was probably normal and to come back for a 10:30 ultrasound in the morning. Through the evening, while on heavy pain killers, my amazing BF got me up and walked me to the bathroom every single hour to check the level of bleeding and by 8 it had died down a lot after passing several large clots. Today we went in for the ultrasound only to end up waiting 5 hours and waste another day away in the ER just so they could get a dr to give me the results they had all day and send me home. Basically the results are that they didn't see any fetal tissue remaining but that I have more big clots they can see to pass so enjoy all the pain and bleeding and good luck with that go home. And here I thought having a d&c would help me skip some of miscarriage hell. Just wanted to share for anyone else who did like me and was feeling dumb or whimpy reading everyone posting about no bleeding or pain post d&c.
BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012
BFP#2 4/4/2013 - Born at 37w3d on 11/26/13 via emergency c-section
Loving our beautiful rainbow baby boy Archer!

~*All AL Welcome*~

Re: D&C hell, sorry if graphic

• Oh and I forgot to mention the 20 times some one new would come to see me like a nurse without reading the chart and make me explain all over again and for what ever reason assume I was there because of a voluntary abortion and not an m/c
    BFP#1 9/28/2012 - EDD 6/3/2013 - MMC discovered 11/21/2012 @ 12w2d - D&C 11/24/2012

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • I'm so sorry you are going through all this. It's not fair at all. And what kind of medical professional doesn't read a chart??
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • This is awful, and absolutely unfair given everything you've already had to go through. I am so sorry for your loss and for you having to go through this too!

Love is multiplied: DS #1: 1.5.99 ~ DS #2: 9.23.11 ~ DD 8.29.13

m/c 11/12/12 - sleep tight baby bean.

Bitty Baby #4, please stick around - we already love you so very much!

Ultrasound 11/4 - TWO HEARTBEATS!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm so so sorry you went through this!

Are they sure they got it all???? I don't want you to end up like me :( 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I went thru something similar about 6 days post....passing huge amounts of clots, some large clots and bleeding heavy with contractions. I guess my body was helping things clean out of there. I never even saw the dr, he read my chart later but was only concerned with my hemoglobin levels as they were slightly low. I ended up passing all the clots on my own and the bleeding slowed down and now it finally stopped just over two week post DnC. Thank goodness my contractions stopped while I was still at the hospital, that was not fun!

Take care of yourself!
  • imageJennifer271012:

I'm so so sorry you went through this!

Are they sure they got it all???? I don't want you to end up like me :( 

yeah the ultrasound tech was apparently very certain there was no fetal tissue left now, just clots, now hopefully my body actually deals with them properly. We were going to head north today but on dr's recommendations were spending a few more days close to the hospital.

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • imagealgalphys:
    I went thru something similar about 6 days post....passing huge amounts of clots, some large clots and bleeding heavy with contractions. I guess my body was helping things clean out of there. I never even saw the dr, he read my chart later but was only concerned with my hemoglobin levels as they were slightly low. I ended up passing all the clots on my own and the bleeding slowed down and now it finally stopped just over two week post DnC. Thank goodness my contractions stopped while I was still at the hospital, that was not fun! Take care of yourself!

thanks for sharing, it's good to know I'm not alone in this experience and that someone else got through it ok. I'm also relieved to hear someone else use the word contractions because the drs and nurses didn't say anything or call it that but I kept saying to bf that I was so sure that's what my body was doing (first pregnancy so I had nothing to compare to) but wasn't sure if I was being crazy. Now I'm just waiting for heavy bleeding and pain to kick in again and pass the rest.

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • I have not been on this board in a long time but for some reason peeked over here today. I have had 2 d&c's. The first was 6 years ago and went what I would call "normal". Heavy bleeding a couple days, then light for a couple days, then on about day 5 I had some heavy bleeding and cramping again. It was uncomfortable but I was ok with advil and a heating bad. Almost exactly 1 year ago I had my second d&c (with a health daughter in between). After the procedure my doc told DH there was very little tissue. I had very little bleeding afterward and thought maybe the d&c was a waste and I should have just had a natural m/c. Fast forward to 3 1/2 weeks after my d&c. I thought I was having my first period post m/c. It was VERY heavy. I was out shopping and had to come home. I took a bunch of advil and was ok. Then about 10 PM the pain got really bad. By about 1 AM I swore I was having contractions. I could time them every 2 minutes. I was about to have DH take me to the ER - he was in the middle of calling MIL to come over and stay with DD- when I went to the bathroom, had a huge gush of blood and I could feel something "plop". As soon as that happened I felt physically fine. I never got a good explanation from my doc but as soon as they happened my betas dropped down to 0 so obviously there was some tissue in there that the dr didn't see. I never had an u/s post m/c so that is just my guess. I'm sorry you had to go through this. Sorry this is so long just wanted to let you know that d&c experiences can be very different and has nothing to do with you being a wimp. Good luck to you in the future.  

6 year old daughter

Fraternal boys born on May 11, 2013 at 36 weeks 4 days

• Thanks so much for your post WeAreSmalls, it helps to know other people have gone through similar experiences. Here's hoping it doesn't take so long for me to get everything passed, hate the waiting game.

~*All AL Welcome*~
  • I am very sorry for your loss. Also that you had a rougher experience with your d and c. I hope you are feeling better physically. The emotions range from day to day. No matter how you look at it this just sucks to go through. 
    TW loss mentioned 

**BFP#1 9/5/12   EDD 5/15/13  changed to 5/25/13 after u/s,  missed mc 10/19/12.  D and C 10/22/12** 
     **BFP#2 9/12/13  EDD 5/16/14 changed to 5/27/14 after u/s, hb 126 on 10/11/13, miscarriage on 10/24.13**
    ~RPL testing results from 12/6/13 show everything normal except elevated prolactin. Blood work is now in the normal range. All AL welcome!
    BFP #3 10/24/14  Our rainbow baby was born July 2015
    BFP 4 10/28/19 EDD 7/6/20
  • wow I'm so sorry you had to go through all of that
  • I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this.  

Throat punches to the staff people you encountered, especially those who couldn't be bothered to read your chart! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"