Trouble TTC
Options

update and huge decision

Ok so a few days ago I posted about my bfn after iui 2. The nurse had told us we needed to come in for consult and of course my mind was racing so I called back today. She was so nice and explained to me that doctor just wanted to tell us that he felt our best chance would be with ivf however he is ok doing as many iui as we want. I than called the business office of the RE office and they ran our insurance and for once in this whole journey we got good news. We have IVF coverage however she couldn't tell me how much we would have out of pocket. Anyone have ideas on this? Sorry Iam sure everyone different just trying to get ideas; DH wants to continue to do iui he doesn't want to move to ivf where I am like let's do what's best success rates. I feel so torn between the two......nurse also said if we want to do iui they starting group jan 10 and next one isn't till feb 22. Huge decision to make and I am looking to you ladies for any suggestions...thoughts...... thank you so much! P.S. sorry if this looks weird typing from phone as computer not working right now.

image image

*Me 28 Husband 31

*TTC since 10/2009

*10/2010Tried 1 cycle of clomid 50mg with no results

*12/2010 On break due to needing a new OB and money reasons

5/5/12 Underwent exploratory surgery and had tubes blown out- no issues found

5/5/12 DH had SA and numbers look great

7/2102 50mg dose of clomid with ovulation and timed sex no results

8/12 Clomid cylce #3- no success

8/30 Went to see RE and we have decided to move onto IUI attempts

10/18 IUI#1 BFN and cyst developed so on hold

11/17 IUI cycle #2 BFN
IUI #3,4,5,6 =BFN

First round of IVF- 2 fresh transfered Beta=20, 37 than ended in M/C- Will do frozen transfer in Sept!

Re: update and huge decision

• Options

First off, that's awesome that you have got some coverage should you need it. But you need to call your insurance and find out exactly how it works- lifetime max, number of cycles, yearly max all could be options.

After that, you can look at your financials, see what kind of fee schedule your RE has, if any, and figure out how much you will be OOP.

Most importantly, you and your DH need to be on the same page. If he is not comfortable moving on to IVF yet, then you need to talk it over and decide what to do until then. More IUI's might work. At least if you did one or two more he might begin to warm up to the idea of IVF. This would also give you time to figure everything out as far as how you were going to pay for IVF. With all the time, money, and emotional and physical stress created by IVF, I wouldn't move on to it if one partner was uneasy about.

JMHO.  

Me: 37, DH: 35 :: TCC since 2/11 SA: Perfect! CD3  HSG = Blocked Right Tube
    April- Femara 2.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN   May- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN
    June- Femara 7.5mg + Trigger + IUI = BFN  August- Lap & Hysteroscopy = Blocked & Partially Blocked Tubes
    September- Femara 5mg = CX - No Response on Left = BFN  October- 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI = BFN
    IVF # 1: Stims 11/30 ER 12/12/12! (10R, 10M, 8F, 2T, 6 F) :: Beta #1- 176  c/p @ 4w4d
    FET #1 February 26th :: Lost 4 to Thaw, Transferred 2 = BFFN
    IVF # 2 Stims 5/10 ER 5/21 (15R, 13M, 13F, 2T, 7F- 6d3 & 1d5) :: Beta # 1- 15 c/p @ 4w
    FET #2 Cancelled, Right Tube Developed a Hydro  8/28 Hydro & Scar Tissue Removed  Cleared for FET
    FET #2.2 Scheduled for September 20th
    2 Thawed, 2 Transferred! Beta #1- 96, Beta #2 906! :: EDD June 10th
    2015- 2 failed FET. We are done
    SURPRISE! BFP 8/8/16   EDD 4/1/17

imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ugh what a dilemma!  You've got email <3
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I would definitely want to know what "ivf coverage" is before I made a decision. We have coverage but have a lifetime max of 10k. 

If it was completely covered, personally I would do 3 IUIs first. They are a lot less invasive and "easier". My RE said after 3 the chances go down so that's when I plan on moving on to IVF.  

Me: 33 DH: 32 SA#1 low count (6mil) SA#2- now in IUI range!(30mil) Dx:MFI
    11/1- IUI#1,12/1- IUI#2, 1/2- IUI#3 all BFFN
    IVF#1. Long Lupron.ER 3/8 10R,4M,5F. ET 3/3-one 1AB, 2 frosties 5dp5dt-BFP!! Beta 3/25-794 Beta 3/27- 1794
    First u/s 4/8 saw hb. 4/22 missed mc 8w3d. d&c 4/26
    FET #1- bcp start 6/9. ET 7/12. 2 perfect blasts.5dpt-BFP!! 
    Beta 7/24 -1,239!! Beta 7/26- 2569 Beta 7/29- 7120.  U/S 8/7 hb 118! U/S 8/14 hb 143! U/S 8/20 hb 170. Graduated!! Stick baby stick! 

• Options
    imagehtn1763:

I would definitely want to know what "ivf coverage" is before I made a decision. We have coverage but have a lifetime max of 10k. 

If it was completely covered, personally I would do 3 IUIs first. They are a lot less invasive and "easier". My RE said after 3 the chances go down so that's when I plan on moving on to IVF.  

This is me too - except Dr said the best chances are the 1st two IUI.... 

Me: 32, DH: 34.
    Trying since Jan 2011. Unexplained IF.
    2 IUIs = BFN.
    1 IVF (Dec 2013) = BFN.
    FET, 2 frosties (June 13, 2014)

14dp5dt-June 27 -BFP, beta 2061. 2nd beta >5000, 3rd beta >5000, 2 sacs 06/30.
    Twin Girls - 02/11/15 - at 37 weeks (no NICU, home with me at 3 days).
  • Options
    That is awesome that you have IVF coverage!! Aghh I wish we all could!!! Like PP said I would definately see how much before moving on!  I know that people say that usually after 3 attempts at IUI then you should move on.  I got pregnant on my 4th!!!!   We did miscarry : (  But my doctor wants us to try a couple more rounds of IUI with Bravelle because it worked.  I would sit down and talk with your husband!! If he isn't ready for IVF I would try a couple more that way he will have more time to think about it!!
    BabyFetus Ticker

TTC SINCE 7/2010, BFP-10/2010 ended in miscarriage 11/2010 : (.....
    Progesterone level 4/2011= 11.29. SA normal. HSG normal.
    8/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 35,
    10/11 Clomid 50mg =BFN progesterone level 31,
    11/11 Clomid 50mg=BFN progesterone level 12,
    12/11 Clomid 50mg=Progesterone 31
    01/12-Break from meds-BFN
    Feb-cd3 blood work FSH(5), AMH(0.56) 02/12 Break....
    03/01/12-Clomid 50mg with IUI #1=BFN.
    04/01/12-Another round of clomid with IUI#2=BFN.
    5/8/12-Diagnostic Laparoscopy-found minimal endometriosis and small fibriod.
    June and July-much needed break
    August-Bravelle 75 with IUI#3- BFN
    September-Bravelle injects with IUI #4-BFP!! MC 10/7/12 : ( Sonohysterogram-Normal
    December- Bravelle(3 good follicles & E2 1252) with IUI#5 BFFN :*(
    July IVF #1- BFP! : )  Beta #1-245, #2- 703, #3- 1655, #4- 3553 YAY!  Praying and Praying this one sticks around!
                      1st U/S scheduled for Aug 23rd!  
    Twins!!
    We are having a BOY & a GIRL !!

• Options
    IF is so stressful to begin with that I wouldn't move on with out DH being completely on board. I know you heart says just move on and go straight to IVF. February seems forever and a day away it would be here before you know it, and you would have more time to check in to all the things PP said about insurance. GL
    ITS A GIRL!!! TTC 8/11 November Clomid 150mg+trigger+IUI+TI= BFP<br>
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, 'I lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along.' 
    Eleanor Roosevelt 
    image image 
  • Options

I'm sorry for your BFN. I would get all of the paperwork and financials before you sit down and have a serious conversation with DH. Ask him what are his hesitations with IVF? This is certainly a huge decision and you both need to be on the same page.

3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions 
    TTC since 10/2010 (Rhythm method since 2007)

Me (33) Sept 2012 - DX Low ovulation/progesterone, Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 5/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good;
    September 2014 DX Hashimoto's; November 2014: PCOS IR

DH (37) Sept 2012 SA Normal; October 2014 Mild MFI count 42 Million, Motility 36%, Morphology 2%. Clomid 50mg,
    2004 Cyrosurgery, LEEP
    May 2012 - HSG Clear; June 2012 - Appointment with RE
    July 2012 - October 2012 - Clomid 50mg W/ TI & Progesterone 3 mature follicles- BFN
    January 2013 IUI #1 (900,000 post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 2 mature follicles - BFN
    February 2013 IUI #2 (1.3 Mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 4 mature follicles - BFN
    March 2013 IUI #1-3 (2.5 mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, Baby Aspirin (lining thinned) TI & Progesterone - 2 mature follicles BFN
    April 2013 Benched due to cyst, May 2013 WTF appointment
    June 2013 DH SA mild MFI break for 2 months to re-test; August 2013 - DH SA 36 Mil count, 36% Motility, Morp 2%
    September - December 2013 - Mental sanity Break
    January 2014 - IUI #4 switches to natural due to scheduling conflict Femara TI & Progesterone - 1 mature follicle - BFN
    May 2014-June 2014 - DH Appointment w/ Urologist to check Bi-lateral Varicocele; 2nd opinion w/ another urologist - bi-lateral varicocele dx is slight no surgery
    July 2014 DH starts clomid 25mg daily SA 53.8 Mil count, Motility 37%, Morph 3%;
    September 2014 DH Repeat SA after being on clomid for 3 months 42 Mil Count, Motility 36%, Morph 2%
    October 2014 Me: Hashimoto's DX, DH taken off clomid;
    November 2014 Me: new RE PCOS IR Diagnosis
    December 2014: IUI #4 Follitism 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, BFMFN

January 2015: IUI #5
    Gonal-F 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, Another BFMFN onto IUI #6

• Options

I would definitely call the insurance company and find out exactly how much coverage you have. Hopefully they cover everything (FX for you!) I am sure it is a difficult decision to decide between pursuing another IUI and going through IVF, however in my opinion if  that is your doctor's recommendation and if you have the coverage for it I would definitely go in that direction.

I know that my insurance company will allow us to do four rounds of IVF in our lifetime. So far we have used one round that resulted in a chemical pregnancy. According to my RE's office, my insurance allows for unlimited FET. If they did not cover it we were prepared to cover it out of pocket. The financial aspect of everything plays a HUGE part in the decision making process so I would start with my insurance company before and that will aid you in making your decision. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Since your DH's SA looks good and insurance will offer some help with IVF, I'd be all over IVF. I just don't see the benefit of IUI when sperm are healthy. I've done one so far and am only giving it one more time before moving to IVF and that's without insurance coverage. You've been at this awhile, and you deserve this!
    35yo, DH 40, 5 yrs TTTC. Normal HSG and SA. Challenge is low ovarian reserve (AMH=.16) due to moderate endo. Two laps, 2 IUIs with injectables, no baby. Trying first IVF cycle 4/13. Actively seeking egg donor.
  • Options

I would def call your insurance co and find out exactly how much you will be paying OOP. IUIs are a great way but they don't always work. I would go only, take a look at the success rates or ask your RE and go from there. 

I would def talk to your hubby though sounds like he is having a rough time with all this and don't forget that men digest all of this differently than women. My DH has always been a wonderful money manager, so he would go directly to the funds first its just the way it works but he is prob upset too! Make sure you talk to him get on the same page! Good luck! 

Me; 28 Hubby: 29 - TTC since 5/11 - PCOS Cycle #18-21 Clomid & Trigger & TI = BFN 
    Cycle #22 Gonal-F & Trigger & IUI = BFFP!! EDD 10/4/13 Beta#1 50.5, Beta#2 212, Beta#3 452, First HB 133!!!Logan William born 10/7
  • Options
    imageIntuitiveBlue:

FWIW, I don't know how you keep going.  I've only been trying for 13 months and I already feel like IF is taking over my life.  If I had been trying as long as you have, I would want to move on to IVF too if my doc said that was my best chance.

I hope you get good news as to how much of the treatment your insurance covers, and that you and your husband can come to an agreement as to how to proceed.  My T&P are with you.  Good luck! 

That's kind of a d!ck thing to say, quite honestly, IMO. You keep going because that's what you have to do - whether it be moving forward to have a baby or making another plan. You don't get to just throw your hands up and quit. And IVF is a huge decision, even when there is coverage, so it's not as easy as just saying "I'd be doing it if that's what my doc recommends."

OP, I would definitely call your insurance provider and find out exactly what their IVF coverage is. It could be a dollar amount, a number of cycles, drugs included, drugs excluded, etc. There's no way we could possibly tell you what your coverage is.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies so much for your advice......I have called insurance company and left message to go thru everything step by step for coverage! DH and I have decided to talk this thru more over the weekend and really try to help support each other and weigh our pro and cons of both. I will of course keep everyone updated. And to answer question that was posted I have thought a lot about giving up but what keeps me going is hoping and praying God has a plan for me.

image image

*Me 28 Husband 31

*TTC since 10/2009

*10/2010Tried 1 cycle of clomid 50mg with no results

*12/2010 On break due to needing a new OB and money reasons

5/5/12 Underwent exploratory surgery and had tubes blown out- no issues found

5/5/12 DH had SA and numbers look great

7/2102 50mg dose of clomid with ovulation and timed sex no results

8/12 Clomid cylce #3- no success

8/30 Went to see RE and we have decided to move onto IUI attempts

10/18 IUI#1 BFN and cyst developed so on hold

11/17 IUI cycle #2 BFN
    IUI #3,4,5,6 =BFN

First round of IVF- 2 fresh transfered Beta=20, 37 than ended in M/C- Will do frozen transfer in Sept!

• Options

imageemtbd26:
    Thank you ladies so much for your advice......I have called insurance company and left message to go thru everything step by step for coverage! DH and I have decided to talk this thru more over the weekend and really try to help support each other and weigh our pro and cons of both. I will of course keep everyone updated. And to answer question that was posted I have thought a lot about giving up but what keeps me going is hoping and praying God has a plan for me.

FX that your insurance coverage for IVF is good, and good luck talking things through with DH.  Sounds like you are moving in the right direction!

Its a big decision, I'll be thinking of you...  (((HUGS))) 

After 1.5 years TTC, IUI #2= BFP 12/2/12

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

"And the dream that you dare to dream really do come true"

• Options
    imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imageIntuitiveBlue:

FWIW, I don't know how you keep going.  I've only been trying for 13 months and I already feel like IF is taking over my life.  If I had been trying as long as you have, I would want to move on to IVF too if my doc said that was my best chance.

I hope you get good news as to how much of the treatment your insurance covers, and that you and your husband can come to an agreement as to how to proceed.  My T&P are with you.  Good luck! 

That's kind of a d!ck thing to say, quite honestly, IMO. You keep going because that's what you have to do - whether it be moving forward to have a baby or making another plan. You don't get to just throw your hands up and quit. And IVF is a huge decision, even when there is coverage, so it's not as easy as just saying "I'd be doing it if that's what my doc recommends."

OP, I would definitely call your insurance provider and find out exactly what their IVF coverage is. It could be a dollar amount, a number of cycles, drugs included, drugs excluded, etc. There's no way we could possibly tell you what your coverage is.

I agree with BP here.  Moving to IVF is a huge decision, for both emotions and finances.  It brings up all kinds of dilemma's you wouldn't ever imagine having to think about (will you freeze embryos?  what happens to any frozen embryo's if one or both of you die?).  Every day and every shot can be an emotional rollercoaster.  IMO, it's not a flippant, just do it because someone tells me to, kind of decision. 

My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"