Breastfeeding

Running out of milk?

Okay so lately my little one (almost 3 weeks old) has been getting fussy while nursing. Just when I thought 'hey, we are getting the hang of this finally' something new comes up. It goes like this, I put her on the breast and she latches on perfectly. She'll be nursing great for a good 5 minutes but then all of a sudden she makes these weird noises as if she is only sucking in air instead of milk. Then she gets frustrated and latches on and off a couple times and then falls asleep. She'll wake up within the hour to repeat this process all over again. I've only noticed it all day today and maybe a little last night.. but it's definitely gotten me worried. Is it possible to run out of milk after 5 minutes of feeding? I know this might be a stupid question.. but I lack so much knowledge when it comes to breastfeeding. 

Any advice at all would be great.  

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Running out of milk?

• This eating every hour or so is called cluster feeding and is totally normal...my lactation consultant told me its a good way for baby to increase your milk production. While cluster feeding can be frustrating I don't think babies usually do this for extended periods of time. If you are worried about your production you can always rent a breast pump from the hospital to help increase your production. Good luck!
  • imageyodacadillac:
    This eating every hour or so is called cluster feeding and is totally normal...my lactation consultant told me its a good way for baby to increase your milk production. While cluster feeding can be frustrating I don't think babies usually do this for extended periods of time. If you are worried about your production you can always rent a breast pump from the hospital to help increase your production. Good luck!

Well, I have been trying to hold off on pumping since I was told (and have read) that it is best to wait 4 weeks before pumping but in order to not give formula I have had no choice but to pump some bottles here and there. The reason why I am concerned about my milk production is because I used to pump 3oz-4oz (both breast combined) without problems. Now I'm lucky if I get 2oz (from both breasts combined). I'll read more about cluster feeding.. but I don't feel like that is the problem.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Sounds like the 3 week growth spurt. Just let LO nurse all he wants. He is setting your supply. Pumping 2 oz while also BFing is totally normal. If you're still worried, I would recommend doing weighed feedings with a LC or renting a scale before you tried pumping to increase supply.
    The growth spurt should only last a few days. You can get through it. GL!
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Cluster feedings signal your body to produce more milk...this can get frustrating at times but doesn't last long. If your only option is to pump try not to pump more than your baby eats I only say this because if you aren't careful you can start over producing...over production can be a challenge in itself. GL with whatever you decide to do...don't forget it will get easier!
  • I really disagree with the pumping advice. Don't get out the pump unless you know for a fact there is something wrong with your supply or LO's latch and you need to keep up your supply until it is fixed. You will just add work and stress to your day.

Just nurse your baby and watch the diaper output. As long as LO is producing 6-8 wet diapers and 2 poopy diapers a day (more is fine too) she is getting enough milk.

It is exhausting and frustrating at times, but after the 6 week growth spurt it does start to get a lot easier. 

ETA: I read your reply. Why are you supplementing? If we know the reason it might be easier to give advice. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Totally normal. I wouldn't worry about pumping. Just nurse your baby as it needs. This is a very stressful period (I almost quit BF then) but it doesn't last. Just make it over the hump. It gets... dare I say, enjoyable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"