July 2013 Moms

Neighbor advice

Katethegreats post about her trespassing neighbor got me thinking about something.  About a year ago MH came home from work and our neighbor was outside.  She waved and smiled and said I trimmed your tree for you!  To MH's horror he saw that it was butchered.  The identical tree 10 feet over was full and leafy and this was one hacked to death.  The tree is on our property 100%, nothing hangs over onto her side, she had absolutely no reason to touch it.

We are also not friends with these people, so I can't fathom why she thought it would be ok to do this.  At best we wave and smile when we see each other.  They are foreign and there is a bit of a language barrier, so I have no idea if where she is from this is ok to do, to go onto your neighbors property and hack their trees.

MH was seeing red, but his bark is worse than his bite and pretty non confrontational and never ended up saying anything to her about it.  By the time I realized he wasn't going to do anything, it seemed kind of too far past the fact for me to say anything.  My dilemma is the landscape we plan to do this spring.  We want to plant a tree in memory of my grandparents, so this tree will be A. expensive, and B. sentimental.

I think I would lose my mind if she touches this tree due to the cost and the sentimental fact, but is it weird to say something to her almost a year and a half later?  MH thinks we should say nothing and if she were to do something to it, expect her to pay damages and take her to court if necessary.   I don't want to risk it coming to that, but I also agree you shouldn't have to go around warning neighbors not to touch your stuff.  And like I said, I feel awkward saying something after so long, and I am a fairly non confrontational person unless I am pissed off enough that I just react before I can think about it.  What would you do?  

Lilypie - (fm2j)

Lilypie - (YesX)

My Pregnancy/Parenting BLOG TTC since 5/2011, BFP #1 12/3/11, M/C 12/7/11 @ 4wks 2d. Began seeing RE Sep 2012. October 2012 Metformin 1500 mg= ovulation on CD34 BFP#2 11/14/12 9DPO, EDD 7/26/13, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks, our angel born sleeping 3/24/13 @ 22wks 2d. BFP #3 7/4/13 8DPO EDD 3/22/14, DX Gestational Diabetes @14 wks. started insulin @16 wks.  Our rainbow, born 3/19/14 @ 39wks 6d., we're so in love!

Re: Neighbor advice

• What they did sounds a little passive aggressive...I would wonder whether I did something to offend them. It really sounds like something off of Christmas Vacation. Maybe if you researched their culture a little, or simply asked them, you can gain some insight as to why they thought it was ok to do that. 

But really, if you were going to say something, you should have said something right away, or at least within a week. Now? Now, you are going to look like a freak, and they're just going to ask you anyways why you didn't say something a lot sooner.

*Plant your memorial tree, then have a pleasant visit with your neighbours and *nicely* tell them that the tree is a memorial for your grandparents and that you don't want it interfered with. That is what I would do. I know you shouldn't have to warn your neighbours, but the fact of the matter is - you have to warn *these* neighbours. It' sjust the reality of your situation. "Should" is not the same as "is", and sometimes you have to accept what you cannot change.  

*Actually, warn them *before* you plant the tree. Sorry, quick edit.  

• I agree that it's been way too long to say anything about the tree she had trimmed.  And unless there is some sort of cultural divide, I would call that classic suburbian passive aggressiveness.  Can you plant your memorial tree clearly away from her line of property? Like in the middle of your property or on the other side?

TTC since Aug 2011. BFP #1 on 10/28/2011 EDD of 07/02/2012 Natural MC on 11/22/2012  BFP #2 on 10/28/2012  EDD of 7/13/13  Judah Ari born on 7/11/13.

I love my rainbow baby!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"