February 2013 Moms
Options

Pregnant Elephant about to give birth...

Not me, but Rose-tu at the Oregon zoo, a literal pregnant elephant is going to give birth soon....after a 22 month pregnancy. I can hardly watch the news because I don't want to see any footage of the elephant actually giving birth when the time comes. Maybe it hits too close to home?

Last night DH and I did our hospital tour. The tour guide mentioned all sorts of different positions women are now choosing to use to give birth. One threw me for a loop---on all fours. Has anyone given birth on all fours? No offense, but all I could think about was that damn elephant.

[Poll]

Re: Pregnant Elephant about to give birth...

• Options

I'm a FTM, so take whatever I'm saying with a grain of salt - but I was reading that an all-fours position is actually good for when the baby is posterior (a.k.a. "sunny side up").  I think our society has deeply internalized the logic that women should give birth in a bed, on their backs, only because it has been normalized in Western medicine as a means of making things easier for healthcare providers.  But in many cultures women choose other positions to give birth.  I have no idea what is going to work for me in the end, but I guess I want to be open minded about it going in.  If some position or other is what ends up working for me, so be it!

ETA: I voted "no idea" :) 

DS born February 5, 2013

Need tips for surviving cat allergies? Check out my bio! :)

• Options
    I'm in a research hospital which gives me the benefit of much more advanced medical treatment and not as much of the "this is the way we've always done it so this is the way it is" attitude, which means that they encourage women to get up and move around and to choose their birthing position, the only limitation is that if you're doing hydro therapy, they need you to get out of the water(even if that means standing up in the tub) to push because they need a special license that they havent' been able to get for water births.... during my childbirthing class it was said that squatting is a good position because it uses gravity to work with you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do hospitals even LET you push in anything other than a lithotomy position? I really want to be able to push however feels best, but I kind of wonder if I will be given that choice... I suppose I could wait and ask at the orientation next week, but what did your guys' hospitals say? Flat on the back is so uncomfortable now as it is, and just seems like the worst possible way, pelvis wise, to give birth!

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
  • Options
    I voted realistically by saying I have no idea but I heard that squatting is very effective.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I'll be flat on my back.  I bet it's hard for the OB to do a c-section if the patient is on all fours ;)

I'm having a c-section because of complete placenta previa.

Jayme
    Boy 16, Boy 15, Boy 13, Girl 10, Girl 8 & Twin Boys 3, and Bacon!
    Twin A is in REMISSION!
    23 week loss, 24 week loss, 3 early miscarriages & a 25 weeker who lived only 9 weeks.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

imageEbee27:
    Do hospitals even LET you push in anything other than a lithotomy position? I really want to be able to push however feels best, but I kind of wonder if I will be given that choice... I suppose I could wait and ask at the orientation next week, but what did your guys' hospitals say? Flat on the back is so uncomfortable now as it is, and just seems like the worst possible way, pelvis wise, to give birth!

My hospital actually encourages different positions including all fours, and as far as I know it's a pretty standard hospital. I have heard though that they can't really force you to give birth in one way or the other. If you feel like you want to, say give birth squatting and you feel like you might meet resistance prepare your DH/SO to support you in your decision or I have heard that a doula is really helpful when it comes to having the birth you would like to have. 

BabyFruit Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers image From the poster formally known as mghalpert
  • Options

I know some doctors / hospitals only want women on their back to push, but my hospital encourages different positions and in each delivery room has a tub, a birthing stool, and specifically encourages you to be on all fours because it helps open up your pelvis, as others have said.

I still voted that I don't know yet, though, because I don't. With DD I was on my back because she was a c/s. :-)

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options

For this birth I voted I have no idea.  It's unlikely I will be on my back though, but I'll never say never!

With DD I was planning to deliver her squatting, but after an hour and a half of pushing in all kinds of postions, but mostly squatting, my legs were killing me and I just couldn't do it.  I delivered her lying on my side which is not a position my midwife/OB team used unless the woman was really too tired to deliver in another position or the woman felt most comfortable that way.  They never recommend being on your back because it's the worst position for mom to push baby out though it's the best for doctors to catch.  It's the worst (according to my midwife) because the tailbone creates a barrier that the baby has to be pushed up and over.

This time I'm hoping to be squatting, but I'm also wanting to try all fours though last time that position was not very comfortable for me.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am totally open minded about birthing positions--whatever is best for the baby. I just have a hard time visualizing being on all fours. On the bed? On the ground? Oh man, I have a lot to learn still...

• Options

#1 - on my side (baby was posterior and they were trying to turn him).  Once we got him turned I pushed on my back.

#2 - on my back

#3 - squatting in the tub

ETA - my BFF gave birth to her last baby on all fours in the tub and she said it was the easiest position she has ever delivered in.

• Options
    I think I've watched too many episodes of "A Baby Story" or similar type programs on TLC, because every single one of those women were on their backs in the hospital =/ I still have this image in my mind of my hospital being strict and pushing interventions and all this scary stuff - I'm really glad I have a doula to help me navigate the system, because I'm obviously turning into a worry wart. 

Archer Liam - 2/6/13
    Freya Lillian - 11/15/15
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"