Working Moms

boss gift ideas...?

Looking to spend maybe like $50... female boss, makes good $, is basically the big boss of our division (total staff like 120 ppl or so).

I know nothing about her interests, as I am new to the organization but I believe that it is typical that ppl here do give small gifts to their bosses (as someone in my dept brought it up). Gift would be from 3 of us. 

Re: boss gift ideas...?

• Are you a direct report to her?  It seems really odd to me that gifts would be exchanged from 120 people.  Since you are new I would double check with others in the office to be safe.  I can not wrap my head around the idea that 120 people give a manager gifts, but if so, I would bake something or give wine.
  • imagewhynotwhynot:
    Are you a direct report to her?  It seems really odd to me that gifts would be exchanged from 120 people.  Since you are new I would double check with others in the office to be safe.  I can not wrap my head around the idea that 120 people give a manager gifts, but if so, I would bake something or give wine.

No- I am her direct report, the other 2 in my dept report to me (I was just giving an idea of her job scope-t hat is she not just like a dept head to a few ppl, she is hte 'big boss' or sort of the equivalent of our CEO, sort of. ). I would say she has 12 direct reports.

However, I am a recent transfer to this role & the other 2 in my dept have been reporting to her in the interim, which is why they wanted to give a gift and brought it up.  Also she does 2 large & very nice holiday parties and I suspect pays for one of them out of her own pocket, so maybe that is why the culture is hte way it is? I will clarify to get some history though- although, almost all jobs I've worked (I work in healthcare & it is female dominated if it makes any difference, I don't know) it has not been out of the norm to give gifts up... In my last job where I managed ppl I got gifts from several of them every year.

Which actually brings me to a new questions- I have only been transitioning to my role & don't officially start it til Jan but have had to be much more involved in it pretty much every day for 2 months than anticipated b/c of different things going on, so I'm stuck on what to do for the 2 ppl in my dept... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"