Working Moms

Lost job and all security

Anyone have any ideas how one can get money after getting fired? I had everything planned out to get paid maternity leave but I lost it all today with my job. I am not certain if I can claim unemployment after I give birth or what my options are and I was curious if anyone else has experienced this. My DH lost his job three weeks ago so we are really struggling and I don't want to take advantage of anything but we are trying to look for jobs but they are hard to come by. Especially since I am 35 weeks along and he never got his high school diploma. We live in Oregon if that helps at all.

Re: Lost job and all security

• I am so so sorry you both have lost your job. Both of you should apply for unemployment immediately. You should be able to collect until you give birth. I think each state is different though. After the doctor clears you to return to work, I am pretty sure you can collect again (bc you can't collect when you technically can not work- which is 6-8 weeks after birth).

Also apply for your state insurance. You should be able to get some sort of coverage because your pregnant.

You are NOT taking advantage of the system if you are truly looking for work. So don't feel like that. Apply for every job ASAP. The longer you are out of work, the harder it is to find a job.

Hugs. Good luck to you. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry to hear that :(  Like the other poster said, you should be able to collect until you give birth.  Unfortunately, collecting in the weeks after birth until you're medically cleared, while POSSIBLE, isn't legal and you do risk getting caught and forced to pay back the money.  I know in MA you have to provide a log each week of the places you applied to and if they choose to, they can require you to provide proof of it (emails, screen shots, contacts at the company supposedly receiving your resumes). 
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • In Ohio a person who is discharged (fired) for "just cause" cannot receive unemployment benefits.  You will want to check to see what the regulations are in Oregon as these laws do differ state-by-state.  Here is the website for unemployment benefits in Oregon.

It is understandable you do not want to take advantage of anything, but you do need to take care of yourself and your baby.  You can make an appointment with The Oregon Department of Human Services to discuss your options.  Remember, you can always stop the benefits when you and your husband get back on your feet.

Good luck.

• If the unemplpyment benefits dont work then use the state services until you get back on your feet:

1.  Go to your state service center and apply for Medicaid insurance- you will at least get it for you and the baby.  Sign up for any and all assitance with baby items unless you have that covered.  Also check out discounted electric programs via the service center or your local electric company- some will give lower rates for lower income families. 

2.  Also apply for public assistance and food stamps. 

3.  Local Salvation Army always has food baskets etc.  And check with the social worker there if they have any job leads- a lot of times they know people who are hiring.  And some Salvation Army's will help with electric, gass and oil bills.  A one time thing usually. 

4.  If you belong to a church some will take up collections for families in need- talk to your pastor and see if they can assit with somethinng. 

Its probably more realistic that your husband find full time work since you are close to having the baby.  Remember if you do anything its get Medicaid insurance for you and the baby so those expenses and pre-nantal visits are covered.   

• This is your first post, you are 35 weeks pregnant and both you and your DH got laid off within weeks of each other.  Either you are the most unlucky person alive, or this is MUD.

FYI- if you were "let go" then you can collect unemployment, if you got fired for cause, you can't collect.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • I, too, am skeptical that this is MUD.

Still, I thought that I would mention that I saw an ad on TV last night that my local Amazon warehouse is hiring and no HS diploma or GED is required. There Amazon has several Oregan warehouses, if they are close to you, that may be an option for your H.

Duke's House: Eating and Running with the Big Dog in Chennai: eatrunbrit.com

imageimage

2010 Race PRs:

5K - 24:57 10M - 1:28:20 13.1M - 1:57:29 26.2M - 4:28:29

• You need to go to your local social security office and get on WIC and AFDC.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Just because I have never posted doesn't mean a thing. I have not had a question before this that someone else hadn't asked. This was a speciality question pertaining to me and I figured I would ask the form to see if people had some idea since I have never had to be on assistance since I was 18 because this is my first child and I have always had work since I was 12. I figured this would be a place of help, instead people believe I am making this up for fun... It kinda upsets me. We are a bit unlucky and we could manage I believe a lot better if I wasn't so far along, but the situation is what it is. Perhaps like my mother in law says God has a better plan for us, or as I believe we are meant to experience hardships to enjoy those amazing moments in life. Thank you for those that have given great suggestions we have appointments with DHS to look us over and see what we qualify for along with putting in applications to low income housing. I have also applied for unemployment and hope to hear back from them on Monday. My DH was with a temp agency and he had only been working for them for 4 months when he was laid off so he can't qualify for it. But he has applied for 30 different jobs and does more applications with me every day. I had been working with the company for 20 months and I was let go because they thought I had stolen a deposit but I DID NOT! And I called the bank and they had it and everything for the full amount. But what is done is done and they have not called to apologized or anything, not that I expect them to it would just be nice.
  • Lurker...but frankly if you were fired for stealing a deposit the bank has verified they have I would contact an attorney. Some companies will pull sketchy things on pregnant women. A reputable attorney will give you a free consultation and work on contingency if you have a good case. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagekdilg21:
    Just because I have never posted doesn't mean a thing. I have not had a question before this that someone else hadn't asked. This was a speciality question pertaining to me and I figured I would ask the form to see if people had some idea since I have never had to be on assistance since I was 18 because this is my first child and I have always had work since I was 12. I figured this would be a place of help, instead people believe I am making this up for fun... It kinda upsets me. We are a bit unlucky and we could manage I believe a lot better if I wasn't so far along, but the situation is what it is. Perhaps like my mother in law says God has a better plan for us, or as I believe we are meant to experience hardships to enjoy those amazing moments in life. Thank you for those that have given great suggestions we have appointments with DHS to look us over and see what we qualify for along with putting in applications to low income housing. I have also applied for unemployment and hope to hear back from them on Monday. My DH was with a temp agency and he had only been working for them for 4 months when he was laid off so he can't qualify for it. But he has applied for 30 different jobs and does more applications with me every day. I had been working with the company for 20 months and I was let go because they thought I had stolen a deposit but I DID NOT! And I called the bank and they had it and everything for the full amount. But what is done is done and they have not called to apologized or anything, not that I expect them to it would just be nice.

This was your first post, and your second was to as what MUD was.  No one responded to tell you what MUD was, yet somehow in your third post you've figured out what it is.  DH and I have hit hard times, but there is no way I'm buying this.

To add that you were fired for being suspected of stealing a deposit, are you serious?  IF they did suspect you of stealing a deposit then not only would you be fired, but you would be brought up on criminal charges, and since I don't think you have internet access from jail, I'd say you are trying way to hard to get people to respond.  Deposits are tracked electronically every step of the way, so stuff like that can't happen.

Pick a new name and start again, maybe on another board, it's pretty hard to get this board to bite, we are to busy for this crap.

Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • First off I am not an idiot and went off in search to figure what MUD was aftr I posted it incase I couldn't find the answer. Imagine that someone using their resources?! Believe what you want but we have hit hard times for whatever reason and without making it up. Also if they do charge you they don't send you to jail like in the movies. They do prosecute you if it is true but it is a long process that involves police reports and court time. Some things you have no control over and like I said I did not steal the deposit the bank has it and everything. Some people just get fucked more than others believe it or not. No matter how much they want to support and provide for an unplanned pregnancy. I would never in my life make crap like this up just to get attention, I am the type of person that likes to be left out that crap. So why would I start it?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"