February 2012 Moms
Options

Anyone else's LO still not feeding themselves?

DD does really well with table foods, but she's still expecting me to feed it to her. I put it on her tray and she has no interest in picking it up other than to squish the food in her hand. She's taken a cooked carrot stick to her mouth and pretended to bite it, but that's it. My mom keeps commenting on how she "still hasn't learned how to feed herself" but I know babies learn at different paces. So I ask-does anyone else's LO do this? Or, is my DD behind??

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Anyone else's LO still not feeding themselves?

• Options
    Does she eat anything on her own?  Like Starbuck mentioned, what about Mum Mums?  I would push foods that she can hold and chew off of (like Mum Mums or biscuits or things like that) and then work on the other stuff.  When the girls are lazy about I'll start picking off of their trays and feeding myself and they usually follow suit.  But some people don't offer much food before 1, so I wouldn't worried about her being behind, especially if her pincher grasp is good.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Abby will only feed herself things that are not sticky or slimey. The dryer the food, the happier she is. If I put banana chunks on her tray, she is more likely to lean forward to try to suck them up with her mouth than to pick them up with her fingers. But put bread on her tray and she'll go to town.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sophie just started feeding herself. Like, 5 days ago. And it was out of the blue. Before that she had no interest and would just sit there with her mouth wide open, waiting for me to feed her.
  • Options
    Hayley will feed herself cheerios and puffs and some frozen peas sometimes. But if I put spaghetti on her tray - forget it. Although last night she tried to grab the whole chicken breast right off my plate. I have to feed her with my fork or else she doesn't eat it. I'm not too worried though. She'll get it. I'm just happy she's eating reg. food now.
                    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• Options

imagepoobear2015:
    Hayley will feed herself cheerios and puffs and some frozen peas sometimes. But if I put spaghetti on her tray - forget it. Although last night she tried to grab the whole chicken breast right off my plate. I have to feed her with my fork or else she doesn't eat it. I'm not too worried though. She'll get it. I'm just happy she's eating reg. food now.

Just FYI--our pediatrician said that peas are pretty much as scary as it gets when it comes to choking hazards.  She said that peas, grapes and corn should all be served in mushed form only until our kiddos get older.

• Options
    imagesooner1981:

Just FYI--our pediatrician said that peas are pretty much as scary as it gets when it comes to choking hazards.  She said that peas, grapes and corn should all be served in mushed form only until our kiddos get older.

Interesting...  The girls have had corn for the last two night!  We're headed to the pediatrician for their flu shot this afternoon, guess I'll be asking about that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I can't give Ian anything that he would have to "bite" to eat it.  Meaning, whatever I give him gets shoved in his mouth all at once.  So, from that aspect of things, it's a cram and eat, not biting portions.

One of my nephews didn't feed himself for a long time...I think he was over a year old.  He couldn't stand the 'feel' of food in his hands, or so it seemed.  So, my thought is this...if she isn't technically feeding herself, I don't think it's a big deal.  You said that she did pick up the carrot stick, and I think that's one of the bigger issues...have the pinching, grasping, holding thing down.  JMO

• Options

I didn't read all the responses...but here is my situation.

Allison is so funny!  She sees the food and sits there like a baby bird with her mouth open waiting for food.  Once she realizes I'm not putting it in her mouth she grabs it and does it herself.  It took a while for her to get it in her mouth but she is pretty good now.  We still struggle with some things but overall she will pick up food from her tray more often than not.

Lilypie - (JrNi)

Lilypie - (y35Q)

• Options

Mine can do stuff but prefers for me to do it for him. He can hold his bottle (he grabs it from me when he's done to hold and shake) but he has never held his bottle himself to eat. The moment I touch it, he drops his hands away and won't put them back (and if I try to place his hands on it, he pulls them away).

He will feed himself puffs and yogurt melts and some pieces of things (chicken), but he would rather lean forward and open his mouth for me to do it (and eats more when I do it). I just put a big chunk of banana on his tray this morning to see if he would eat it. He picked it up, waved it around, took one bite, then continued to wave it and bang it on the tray until it was a mushy mess. 

• Options
    Thank you all for the help! My excitement is combined with my FFFDD fed herself today!...but a graham cracker. Please don't flame. I was just happy she fed herself.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"