2nd Trimester

How necessary is a mobile for over the crib?

I've been looking at crib mobiles & on top of me being extremely picky & not being able to find one I really like, they seem kind of expensive. I was just wondering if they're worth the expense. If it seems they will be really useful I'd be willing to buy one but I was just wondering what others experiences/thoughts are. Thanks! :)
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How necessary is a mobile for over the crib?

• We didn't have one. We did have one of these, though, attached to the side of the crib:

Charlie 8.06.08
    Emeline 5.28.13

My Blog

Post-Baby PRs
    Esri 5K 7.16.2014 - 21:30
    Heart Half Marathon 3.16.2014 - 1:43:30
    Canton City Marathon 9.8.14 - 3:30:56
  • They're not necessary at all...nice to have for some, but not necessary. we had one and used it sometimes until DS was old enough to stand and kept on pulling it off.

My little man at 0-1-2
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest Pin me baby!
    BabyFruit Ticker http://mamasaywhat.com/

• Loading the player...
  • We got one, but never used it. It was a waste of money, IMO, but I'm sure you'll find people whose babies loved theirs!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • They are a waste. When the baby is old enough, they will just pull it down and break it. 
  • The only time my kid was in his crib was when he was sleeping. We never used a mobile. Waste o money, imo. Our pnp, however, came with one. The pnp was set up in our great room, and the music on the mobile could buy me enough time to finish dinner, go to the bathroom, etc. But that was only for a limited window.

BFP#1 "Watermelon" born 3/2011
    BFP#2 "Pumpkin" 7/14/12 ~ EDD 3/23/13 ~ Natural M/C 8/3/12 @ 7 weeks
    BFP#3 "Pineapple"  born 4/2013
    BFP#4 "Grapefruit" EDD 3/29/16
  • imagemrsmcdonald:
    We got one, but never used it. It was a waste of money, IMO, but I'm sure you'll find people whose babies loved theirs!

I agree.  I bought one for my first but I think it was too loud to be soothing at all for the baby.  When my baby is in his crib, I want him sleeping and not playing or looking at a mobile.

• We never used one. I do recommend a crib soother though. I have the baby einstein aquarium one now. It's great because I can hit a button on top that just turns a light on when I'm checking on DD before I go to bed, then turn it off right away. Once she started sitting & standing, she will turn it on herself and watch the fishes go by and it plays music. 

We also have the kick n play piano thing but didn't get it until she was 6 months old so probably a little too late. Maybe DD2 will like it! 

BFP 7/31/10 m/c 8/16/10
    BFP 10/25/10 Brynn Helen born 7/7/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Lurking. We don't have a mobile over the crib. We have we cheap ikea one over the changing table. For over then crib, we have a small white noise machine that has a little projector. Best $20 we spent. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We never had a traditional mobile, but the Fisher Price projection mobile was a lifesaver. She still turns it on before bed and first thing in the morning. 

https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Precious-Planet-Projection-Mobile/dp/B001GQ2SA2  (sorry no clicky) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DS hated diaper changes so we used one over the changing table, but I definitely don't think it is a necessity.  We had a plush musical caterpillar that he liked when he was a little older that we strapped into the crib.  I definitely recommend one of these (known as the "baby crack machine"-available at Bed, Bath & Beyond):

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks everyone!

I think this post decided it for me, I don't think I'll be spending the money on a mobile. I will definitely look into all the other options you all recommended though. :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Cute but a waste of money.
  • My son just really liked the music. It soothed him. I did have to take the mobile part down once he could stand BC he would just break it. But he's almost 2 and sometimes I still use the music part to sooth him.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • USELESS  IMO. Fist few weeks/month baby can't even focus on something so far away and once they notice it, they only really get entertained from it for a few mins and then they get big enough to sit up and pull at it. Then I would be afraid of small parts and such. Pointless and a waste of money. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We never turned hers on. The clicking noise when you turned it scared her :/ She really didnt sleep on her back after 5 months to look at it anyway
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFetus Ticker
  • Not necessary. 

• its not....   at all....
    BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagedaylights1:

I've heard that if you don't put one up your baby will turn into a degenerate or worse... 

Score. If this baby is another boy, I'm totally getting a mobile. I love tutus.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We don't have one and never did with DD.  Our sound machine has a projector thingy on it that if she needed something to look at I just turned that on, but her crib was for sleeping and we didn't think a mobile was neccessary. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Never had one, don't regret it.  DD is perfectly fine for going mobile-less.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • We didn't use one and I don't think my daughter missed out on anything. 
    imageimage

EDD 1/31/13, MC May 17. EDD 3/31/13, MC July 26. I miss you so much already my angel loves

• We had one on DS's crib and he never cared. I don't know if we ever even turned it on. We got one of those fisher price "aquarium" things that attaches to the crib and plays music and the little animals move around. He's 3 and still likes it.
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • imageMrsJ723:

DS hated diaper changes so we used one over the changing table, but I definitely don't think it is a necessity.  We had a plush musical caterpillar that he liked when he was a little older that we strapped into the crib.  I definitely recommend one of these (known as the "baby crack machine"-available at Bed, Bath & Beyond):

i second this machine!! Ours broke a few months ago and I went to BB&B that very day to get a new one. Best thing ever. 

"You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"