November 2012 Moms
Options

Sitter Etiquette ?

So next weekend we're invited to a holiday party for a charity we're involved with. I really want to go, so I'm thinking about asking our neighbor, whom we've been close with for several years, to babysit for like two hours.

BTW, this woman is a Godsend! She's a retired pediatric nurse, all her grand kids live in Australia, and I think she just loves having a baby so close by. She has given us several baby gifts. She offers all the time to babysit, and she just drops by sometimes with a coffee cake or whatever and just holds the baby. Her husband has also raked our leaves and tidied our yard up a few times since the baby was born.

Here's my question, I think she would be totally insulted if I offered to pay her. But should I give her a little gift? Like a hostess gift type of deal?

What do you think?

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sitter Etiquette ?

• Options
    I would still offer her something, but if she refuses, maybe a gift certificate to a nice restaurant or some yummy holiday treats?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    You could do a baby themed gift? Like a picture of your LO or even just a gift with a card "from LO". How can she deny? ;)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would offer to pay her and if she turns it down, put a card with a gift card to a restaurant so her and her husband could enjoy dinner out together.

TTC #1 since 3/11

BFP #1 5/4/11 EDD 1/12/12 natural m/c 5/17/11

BFP #2 8/9/11 EDD 4/18/12 ectopic pregnancy (methotrexate) 8/24/11 ruptured tube and removal 8/29/11

BFP #3 3/9/12 EDD 11/19/12 Logan born 11/18/12

BFP #4 10/21/14 EDD 6/30/15

~*~*Everyone Welcome*~*~
  • Options

imageangielayne926:
    I would offer to pay her and if she turns it down, put a card with a gift card to a restaurant so her and her husband could enjoy dinner out together.

I agree with this.  Offer, and if she doesn't want to get paid, get her a GC or goody basket with wine etc, or whatever else you think they might like.

how nice to have an awesome neighbor like that!

• Options
    oh, and I'd probably include her in some of your baby events as baby grows older-- first birthday party etc.  I bet she'd love that.

• Options
    My BFF watched DD for a few hours while we went to a Holiday party last year and we got her a nice bottle of wine. I also don't think this is a situation for money, so I'd have the bottle of wine ready or put into a basket with a treat, then offer to pay. When she refuses, you have the wine/gift for her.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"